post replypost new topic
Drug Addiction

Posted: June 16, 2015, 1:05 AM
Hi, My brother is addicted to drugs. We tried many ways and means to talk him out of it, but nothing worked. My family is really shattered. After a lot of research and discussions, we have decided to take him to a drug treatment centre. But my question is, How can I convince my brother to go to this drug treatment centre? We talked about this once, but he refused to cooperate. We badly want him out of this and please help! Thanks!

Posted: June 16, 2015, 7:58 AM
Stephanie
You have reached out to people who are going through the same things.
When you/family speak to your brother about rehab, remind him that it is out of love that he needs help. Do not invoke shame when going about it.
Let him know the new boundaries that you and your family are going to start doing if he does not get help now. It will only get worse if he doesn't.

Unfortunately, you cannot force him to go to rehab, but you can set the boundaries that you will not cross if he does not. Also, there is the chance that if he does agree to go, that he will not stay. The drug means the most to him right now. He will be sick coming off, and will feel like it is easier to just go do whatever is necessary to feel better.

I am praying that God intervenes in your brother's life and that he will overcome the power of his addiction.
My son is 23, and has been in three rehabs, kicked out of two.
Take care of yourself and family.

Posted: June 16, 2015, 8:48 AM
Hello Stephanie:

Unfortunately you won't likely decide where he goes ..
HE will decide when & where to go when he's ready.
And it will certainly be ugly.

I suggest you get help for yourself (Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, counselling) as to what you can/should do and what is out of your control.

Is your brother attending NA meetings?

Good luck.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: June 16, 2015, 7:36 PM
Hi, Stephanie, papa bear just said it all. Even if you do convince him to go somewhere and even if he stays entire time, he's doing for family not himself. He may even be able to stay clean for a bit after, but if he's not doing for himself it won't last. I've been on both sides of addiction and unbearable to watch someone you love self destruct, you have to stay healthy too, papa bears suggestion to go to al-anon or nar-anon would definitely be good thing for you and any other family. -Mary

Posted: December 17, 2015, 5:13 PM
My story is almost same. I used to be a drug addict, my family also were suffering because of me. My mother used to cry alot in front of me and almost every time when i am not around. She is believer she used to pray complete day with tears. Then there is a times comes where i got arrest while taking drugs in some public place. My family come to bail me from the jail, since then i realized and took a decision not to turn back to drugs anymore. I started working, taking parts in sports, joined classes for music. Even i had buy some drugs tests found it easily and fortunately everything was fine within my body. I think i did all this because i wanted to not because my family wants me to quit. My family also force me to quit drugs even took me to some rehabs but nothing changes else i wants to change it. So my suggestion is that you should talk to your boy more nicely surely someday he will realize like my and change for the better.

This post has been edited by moderator on December 17, 2015, 10:32 PM

Posted: August 27, 2019, 6:59 AM
@Stephanie firstly talk to him regarding this. Try to convince him. As we know drugs can completely destroy his life soon. You can also approach to drug addiction center they will guide in the best way to convince your brother for this.

Posted: August 18, 2020, 5:01 PM
Hello Stephanie,

A lot of times people struggle with how can I convince my brother to go to this drug treatment center. It can really be quite confusing for both you and your brother when you are trying to do this. I know that I have tried many different things to try and make him understand that I do care about him. However it can sometimes seem that he will never accept it. One of the biggest things that you have to remember when trying to convince him is that you're not trying to force him. Don't try to force him to change his mind or to change his behavior. He needs to get the help he needs, but he also needs to take control over his life.

There are some things that you can do to try and convince your brother to go to this drug treatment center. You need to talk to your brother and try to let him see what it's like to be sober again. If you're able to convince him that he's going to be happier in a positive environment, then you'll be able to convince him that he should go to this drug treatment center. When trying to do this you need to be as open as possible with him about all the different reasons why he should be going to this drug treatment center.

Yvonne

This post has been edited by moderator on August 19, 2020, 8:37 AM
post replypost new topic