post replypost new topic
Khat !!

Posted: November 5, 2004, 1:18 PM
Hi guys! Im hoping that someone will be able to help me with this??
I have been searching on the net for the past two days to get more (updated) information about Khat. Everysite i have been on talks about khat being a cannabis and its natrual ect. However, ive never seen khat as a plant! Here we get khat as a white powder (like coke), and its used the same way as coke - snorted up the nose...? My query is does this now change khat to a more serve drug, or is it still a mild drug? How is it that one would become addicted to khat used this way (snorted), what effects does this have on ones body over a long periodof time, and what recovery is one looking at?? Is a detox something to consider, in patient programme for a couple of weeks?? Or can one just attend NA meetings in order to get them off this drug?? Khat is also bought in grams and has a very distinctive smell (like coke - unfortunately not as nice??)
I would greatly appreciate feedback and advice with regards to my query??
Take Care
Shifty

Posted: December 6, 2004, 5:51 AM
Hi,

In South Africa, Khat (or Cat) use is very prevalant, and is always insufflated as a white powder. Cat addiction is very real, perhaps not physically. I was on a cat binge for around 3 months, almost every day going through 2-3 grams. Everyday! This period was this year (2004) and I have vague memories only of what happened during this time. I believe that cat is evil, as it destroyed my relationships, my career, my body.

I lost weight dramatically because with cat you just don't want to eat, even 2-3 days after your last line. You cannot sleep well, but you when you do, you sleep like the dead. Your respiratory system is compromised, your skin takes on a waxy, translucent appearance, your hands shake and tremor, your eyes are wild and glassy. I have not touched cat since august and my life just keeps getting better.

There is also the possibility of getting cat that has had adulterants added to it. The risks are not life threatening, but you will feel like death. In my opinion, cat was very fun, but it can become very, VERY habitual.

I hope this info helped.
Regards.

Posted: December 11, 2004, 10:51 PM
this is from an earlier post of mine, hope it helps.

K, Ket, Ketamine, Special K, Vitamin K, kat valium - if you are talking about ketamine here is some info.

Ketamine comes in a clear liquid and a white or off-white powder form

Ketamine blocks nerve paths without depressing respiratory and circulatory functions, and therefore acts as a reliable anaesthetic. This may turn you into a gibbering, spaced out bore, mumbling and slurring away while your dancing may begin to resemble being on acid. Your movements may become as swift as a spliffed-up tortoise crawling across an extra-sticky big bun on a very hot day. You may be unable to move at all.

In the rave and club scene these days, especially in Europe, a
substance is often sold under the names of Special K or Ketamine. This
substance more often than not is Ketamine mixed with several other drugs,
among which may be heroin, coke, or ecstasy. Any combination of drugs with
ketamine is extremely dangerous and has minimum psychedelic value. The
following FAQ is concerned only with use of pure Ketamine Hydrochloride and
any major deviations in experience contrary to this listing often involve
use of mixed substances.

Ketamine is an anaesthetic used primarily for veterinary purposes.
Ketamine blocks nerve paths without depressing respiratory and
circulatory functions, and therefore acts as a safe and reliable
anaesthetic. It is commonly injected intramuscularly, but can also be
taken orally and nasal pharyngealically.

No one knows what the long-term effects of taking ketamine regularly are. Because of its anaesthetic qualities, people have been known to hurt themselves and not realise until the following day. Ketamine should not be taken with respiratory depressants, primarily alcohol, barbituates, or Valium and because of the uncertain interaction with other drugs, it is advised not to mix ketamine with anything. Large doses could induce unconsciousness which could lead to cardiovascular failure. Although not physically addictive, some users have a developed a strong habit.

hope this helps
raerae

--------------------
Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim.
- Ann Landers

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Dr. Alexis Carrel.
Wilke

Posted: December 14, 2004, 7:18 AM
Hi Cyndi!

I only found out yesterday that my brother is using Kat and I did some research today and found a website with all the info you need!

You can go to www.ravesafe.drugz/kat.htm
I hope you find all the info you need there!

Regards

Wilke

Posted: January 2, 2005, 3:06 PM
Thanks Guys!! For all your feedback! Ive really appreciated it and its helping me so much. I have currently been in Treatment for the past 7 weeks and off to spend another 3 months in Secondary care for Khat addiction. Its been a very rough ride and an emotional one to. But i want to thank you all for giving time to reply to my post!
I want to wish you all well.
Keep Safe
Hugs
Cyndi

--------------------
Cyndi[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]

Posted: January 13, 2005, 12:38 AM

Khat is NOT slang for Ketamine Special K etc as noted above.

Khat (Catha edulis Forsk., Celastraceae family) is an evergreen tree which grows at high altitudes extending from East to Southern Africa, as well as Afghanistan, Yemen and Madagascar.

khat has potential as substance of abuse, with both medical and psychiatric complications.

It is most valued for its stimulant effects. Though chewing is the commonest mode of administration it has been taken as a tea and is occasionally smoked.

The principal features of the 'khat experience' are described as increased levels of alertness, ability to concentrate, confidence, friendliness, contentment and flow of ideas.

The active ingredient in khat, cathinone, is closely related to amphetamine in structure and effects.

khat chewing can induce at least two kinds of psychotic reaction: a paranoid psychosis with prominent persecutory delusions associated with intense fear and anxiety, with or without auditory hallucinations, in a setting of clear consciousness, and a hypomanic illness with grandiose delusions. In both forms of presentation symptoms abated rapidly when khat was withdrawn.

Acts of violence were exhibited in recent cases in which paranoid delusions were prominent, these having similarities to amphetamine psychotics involved in violent acts.

Hope this helps Check out

http://www.lycaeum.org/

Posted: June 26, 2005, 2:21 AM
2 completely different drugs.you are right.Ketemine for me was 2 bottles a day turned into powder for 2 years,and i can honestly say im scared because no one knows the long term risks even know ive been of it for over 6 years now,But I tell you what,alott of my Pschological problems and visions i see come from the past Ketemine use.i never had more vivd hallucinations as I had with Ketemine.That drug will get you bad,even know its not Pysically additing,its menttal addicting.
As far as the other drug from South africa,im glad i havent tried it,its just one more thing that shouldnt go in youre body,.
susha

Posted: April 13, 2018, 11:36 PM
hey there,

this is really late (only 14 years too late) so i guess its for anyone like me whocomes on here and read this stuff.

i was addicted to kat for under a year. i live in johannesburg, south africa. all of my friends and i were using recreationally before it became a pattern. i didn't even admit i was and addict until my second week in rehab. it's a white powder that's sniffed.

it might be plant based, but i know that it contains paint thinners and battery acid. ck of your throat after you sniff it. that part is called backdrop.

i was doing lines in my friends car outside the club one time and he swore that you had to spit the back drop out, because that's what hurts your stomach so much. he was probably half right.

when i was addicted i lost too much weight, my eyes went glossy, i couldn't eat or sleep for days. i was just about that line. after you sniff, depending on who you bought from, you get the taste of the paint thinners at the back of your throat.

I'm only four months clean. that's how i ended up on this page.

anyway, khat is an old pal yeh but not a good one folks xoxo
post replypost new topic