post replypost new topic
Anxiety Disorder Addicted To Benzos
Issabelle11

Posted: May 11, 2016, 4:40 PM
I have had a severe anxiety disorder for 15 yrs. I started on benzos 8 yrs ago. I decided to try and quit so I went to detox, got out went to meetings everyday and none of it was working for me. I could not get into the 12 steps. Its so irrational to me. So 6 months clean and Im in the worst shape of my life. My anxiety/depression along wit chronic pain is killing me and has me totally disabled and have no quality of life. So I wonder, whats the problem with being addicted to a benzo if medically I need it. I am asking my doc to put me back on the meds because I cant take it anymore. Please help! I don't know what to do. I have a severe autoimmune disease, thyroid disease, fibromyalgia, bone and spine disease, osteoporosis and RA. Im only 43 and have struggled with these conditions because they are the source of my anxiety. Theres no cure for any of it so what do I do??? Suffer and have no life miserable and in pain

Posted: May 11, 2016, 11:48 PM
Isabelle, this is how I look at it. You were taking the meds for eight years. six months off, while something big accomplished, it is minimal time in amount of years taking. Everything is going to feel worse for awhile. I am on anxiety meds too, I want off as I feel they no longer do their job..I've been slowly tapering and take breaks from the tapering when I feel I'm not up to it. did the medication still work for you? (And as prescribed) if it did and that's what you choose to do nobody can tell you there is anything 'wrong' with that. For myself even when I upped them they did little and have been on couple years less then you. I guess you have to weigh out the good and bad and figure out what's best for you. -Mary

Posted: May 12, 2016, 8:26 AM
My symptoms didn't cause my anxiety - my anxiety caused my symptoms.

Anxiety, fear, helplessness are root attributes of our addiction/alcoholism.

Millions find treatment, relief and growth daily in The 12 Steps of AA/NA.
It might be just the ticket for you as well.

All the best.
Bob R

This post has been edited by Papa Bear on May 12, 2016, 8:27 AM

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
post replypost new topic