post replypost new topic
Relationship Addict/ion

Posted: September 9, 2009, 9:33 PM
"Hey there all, my name is Chris and I'm a freak"

Yep, I'm a relationship addict (and a recovering pill addict). Not gonna lie, I love women. Yes women. No, NOT sex with women. Women. The companionship, etc.. I'm always seeming to be in one (unhealthy?) relationship to the next. Engaged more times than I'd like to admit, but never married. Since I've been 17 I've been in many different long term relationships, one RIGHT after the other, with the average of 1 or so months in between. I've always said I don't have problem meeting them, I have problem KEEPING them ;) I've been told I'm a 'serial monogamist'...but I think it may be worse than that. I swear I need rehab for women. So much to the fact that I am long overdue for completing my second set of steps, that I decided to do my second steps on women/relationships. I also vowed to be celebite for as long as it takes me to complete them, but that may be stretching it ;) I'm gonna try though! Something tells me this is going to be more difficult than quitting the pills (which I'm over 2 and a half years clean - woot woot).

I just pray God gives me the strength and courage to carry this through, to do it honestly and openly, giving it my 110%. It's gotta be worth it!!! I gotta lotta love to give =)

Barbara

Posted: April 12, 2010, 5:32 PM
Hi,

I am addicted to one relationship. I was with my exboyfriend for 10 years and I boke up with him 2,5 years ago and still can not stop thinking about him/us. We have had no contact since the broke up, but I still can not end it in my head and be free. I am so much addicted to that relationship. I used to have eating disorders and during the relationship I got over it, but I think that I have swiched food to my exboyfriend. There is no day that I am not thinking about him. And I try so hard to forget and start a new life but I am not able to. It's so funny becouse the relationship does not exist any more it's just my head, my imagination. I guess I am affraid to let it go. Over a year a go I started a 12 steps program and I pray every day and ask God to help me come back to life again, becouse at this moment I vegetate only.
purple

Posted: August 14, 2012, 6:45 PM
Hi,
I'm suffering from an addiction to a relationship as well and I know exactly what you are going through.
I can see that it's been a while since you've posted your message. I hope you are feeling better now. But if not, I've been reading a book that has helped me a lot. It is called "How To Break Your Addiction To A Person" by Howard M. Halpern, PhD. (Bantam Books) I also find CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) techniques beneficial.
Hope it helps. Good luck and may God be with you.

Posted: June 3, 2013, 7:06 PM
I have been online dating since my divorce about 9 months ago from a man with mental illness who abused me. I divorced him.
When I online date, everytime someone doesn't want to go on a 2nd date or stops messaging me, I feel so upset and am getting more and more depressed!
I worry that I will never find anyone and be alone for the rest of my life! This is why I am feeling so depressed.
I get too needy if a man doesn't call or message me after a day, I am miserable! When a guy likes me and is happy with me, I am on top of the world!
I had a life with no love from my parents, alot of teasing and look how I am.
I am 60 yrs old and feel panicly because the statistics show many more women than men. My age is not appealing, i feel so old.
On the plus side, I am very pretty and look 10 yr or so younger than my age, I have a great sense of humor and a good personality, am intelligent and have a kind heart.
I like sex and give it up too easily -that is not good. I know it is to be liked by menthat I do this.
Please help me! If I don't date I am depressed and when I do date, if not liked I get needy and depressed. I get so happy and peaceful when a guy likes me. Then, he stops liking me for the reasons I've written. Depression agian. I am not doing good.
What type of 12 step meeting should I attend? Or reading a book enough? Would AA or Alanon be a good choice? I don't even know yet what my addiction is called! I have only 2 sessions left with my therapist, then I'm on my own. Please help me someone! Please answer my questions too! Thanks so much!! Ireney

Posted: January 31, 2014, 1:59 PM
I know it's been several months since the last post to this thread.
I feel like I identify in a way with Ireney. I recently moved to a new city, away from almost all my friends. I miss them so much. Just friends, no "relationships." Then I met someone here and we became friends and I wish I could see this person more; they are so special. But I don't want to become addicted to them, I don't want to "need" to be with them. But I feel that I am already addicted to this relationship because it is my only real friendship in this new place and also because we are a lot alike and I really really like this person.
I don't know whether it's just natural to want to be with someone you enjoy being with, or if it's an addiction.

Posted: September 26, 2014, 12:13 AM
I am definitely addicted to being "in love with love." I fall to hard too fast, & when it doesn't work out I feel devastated & isolate. I know better & know my self worth & what I deserve yet the rejection is overwhelming.

Thoughts?
post replypost new topic