post replypost new topic
Cough Syrup(dextrometherphan)
jack brown

Posted: October 22, 2004, 9:32 PM
My my name is Jack, and im addicted to cough syrup. It might sound funny but its true. Lots of young kids use this drug in club seens. THe effects of an 8oz dose make you feel calm and relaxed like codine(at least thats what is dose to me). Euphrea is what probably what hooked me. The biggest problem is that i can get it at my local supermaket for 3 bucs generic brand and it has the same ingrediant. Please, if there are other adults out there with the same problem please reply. Im 27 year old male, and you may have heard of kids abusing this drug but, adults as well could abuse this drug.

Posted: October 22, 2004, 10:04 PM

If you want to beat this, try your doctor, drug and alcohol service and/or Narcotics Anonymous

you may be interested in
http://www.icongrouponline.com/heal...Dependence.html

also the information below is from this site
http://www.justfacts.org/jf/drugs/dxm.asp

Dextromethorphan (DXM)

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a synthetic substance most commonly found in a variety of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines as an antitussive (cough suppressant) and expectorant (an agent that promotes the removal of mucus from the respiratory tract). Other medical uses of DXM include the temporary relief of sinus congestion, runny nose, cough, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and watery eyes caused by hay fever, allergies, cold, or flu (influenza). Approximately 70 DXM-containing products are available to consumers. When the recommended dose is taken, DXM has few adverse side effects, and has a long history of safety and effectiveness.

Within the past few years, reports of illicit use and abuse of DXM have risen. The DEA reports that illicit use may be related to the ease of purchasing nonprescription cough medicines from a variety of drug stores and Internet companies. DXM is a legal substance approved by the FDA and is not considered inherently dangerous unless dosages exceed therapeutic recommendations. However, it can be a damaging substance. Recreational users intentionally exceed suggested doses to experience a sense of heightened perceptual awareness, altered time perception, and/or visual hallucinations. Also, users often abuse the drug in combination with other drugs. The interaction between DXM and other substances (e.g., alcohol, acetaminophen, MDMA/ecstasy, and other OTC cough medicines) produces a synergistic effect that can be very dangerous. Ingredients of cough medicines other than DXM, like acetaminophen, are extremely hazardous when consumed in high doses and can cause liver damage, heart attack, stroke, and death.

History

The FDA approved DXM in 1958 after research supported its legitimacy and effectiveness as a cough suppressant. After its approval, it was introduced as an OTC medication under the name Romilar. As early as 1975, the popularity and extensive abuse of DXM was recognized, and Romilar was removed from the OTC market. However, DXM was specifically excluded from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970, therefore, it was still legal to produce and use. A few years after its removal from OTC, companies began introducing refined DXM products (e.g., Robitussin, Vicks-44, Dextrotussion) that were designed to limit recreational use by creating an unpleasant taste if consumed in large quantities. Within a short time those same manufactures began to produce forms of DXM with "some appealing flavoring," which led at least one researcher to suggest that the cycle of recreational abuse may be repeated. Prevalence estimates are difficult to obtain; consequently, the extent of DXM abuse cannot be identified. Nevertheless, recreational abuse has caused concern across the U.S., prompting many local, state, and federal officials to increase their monitoring of the drug and warn consumers that DXM could be added to the CSA if increased abuse warrants its scheduling.

Methods of Use

Licit uses of products containing DXM are those that adhere to the manufacturer's suggested guidelines for dosages. Users consuming DXM-containing cough syrups (such as Robitussin) for medical reasons typically ingest 10 to 20 mg every four to six hours or 30 mg every six to eight hours. On the other hand, a single dose for recreational users can range from 240 to 1500 mg. Heavier users have been known to ingest up to 3 or 4 bottles a day—an amount that can induce a multitude of negative side effects. According to the DEA, Internet sites inform young users to "drink the syrup expeditiously in order to absorb enough DXM from the drink prior to the impending incidence of vomiting which will occur as a result of the ingestion of the large volume of syrup required for intoxication." In addition to traditional syrup forms, there is also evidence that DXM is being sold over the Internet in powder, capsule, and pill forms. These are snorted or ingested orally. Powders and pills have an effect similar to syrups without the need to consume large quantities of the substance in a small time period.

Physical and Psychological Effects of DXM

DXM is a dissociative anesthetic that at high doses can create powerful psychedelic effects. It is sometimes compared to PCP and ketamine, which are also dissociative anesthetics. The effects caused by DXM use vary depending on the dose. Users often describe dose-dependent 'plateaus' that range from a mild stimulant effect with distorted visual perceptions to a sense of complete dissociation from one's body. Effects generally last for 6 hours, but will ultimately vary depending on the amount of DXM ingested and if it is used in combination with other drugs or chemicals.Other effects can include:

Panic attack or seizures
Tachycardia (racing, pounding heart)
Hot flashes
Nausea and dizziness
Lack of coordination
Disassociation from body
Visual and auditory hallucinations
Impaired judgment and mental performance
Sweating
Lethargy
Hyperactivity
Slurred speech
Hypertension (increased blood pressure)
Nystagmus (rapid eye movement)
Vomiting
Rashes, red blotchy skin

Tolerance, Dependence & Withdrawal

The level and likelihood of experiencing tolerance and dependence will ultimately depend on the dose and frequency of use. When it is abused regularly, DXM can actually cause some of the symptoms (i.e., insomnia and dysphoria) that it is designed to cure. In addition, high-dose chronic use of DXM can lead to the development of toxic psychosis - a mental condition characterized by a loss of contact with reality along with a confused state - as well as other physiological and behavioral problems. It is unknown, however, what effect infrequent use of low doses has upon the user, although anecdotal reports of prolonged use describe DXM as a drug with moderate physical dependence and tolerance. Most users that display symptoms of withdrawal will experience some form of anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, diarrhea, vomiting, severe weight loss, and upset stomach.

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here

Posted: November 26, 2004, 11:26 PM
Hey Jack,
I'm 19 and i live in SD in a small boring town. and i've heard and know lots of kids my age and even older who are taking cough med. to get high or whatever.
i'm addictied to Cold Meds. that cost just as your cough syrp, about $5 somethin for 2 boxes. my friend new a guy who like drank at lest 2 bottles aday. i've never done it mainly cuz i hate how it tasts. but i have drank down liqid cold syrp befor.
but its tottally not stupid of you! i'm just like you.
the other drug ppl take around here is um...i forget the name but its like motion sickness meds. and it makes you feel like rubber. i've done it but never liked it. but you are so not alone! you can email me if ya want: babybitsy85@webtv.net
just hang in there. :)

--------------------
<3 always-
BiTsY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my website:
http://community.webtv.net/babybits...sy85/EeeEeEEeee

Posted: July 19, 2005, 10:22 PM
I just felt it was necessary to let others know that DM can kill you instantly.

I had a severe allergic reaction to it in my teens and almost died.

I have never touched any cough med with DM in it, since. It scares me to think people get high off this stuff. Especially if they don't know about the allergy alert.
ALONE

Posted: November 28, 2005, 10:57 PM
I just turned 27 this year. I have been using cough syrup since I was ten. I became dependent on it around the age of 18. I went into treatment at 19. It didn't last. Somewhere around 23 I ended up homeless at the salvation army. I've entered several treatment clinics, but it never lasts. I feel so isolatedl I have no one to relate to. I didn't know if I was crazy, lazy, selfish, if this behaviour was becase I was a substandard human being. I met a guy who changed everything. I confessed my addiction to him and he said he understood. He had been addicted to it for five years. I thought he was just playing me to have sex or something. I called him on it, but he started listing symptoms that I had . Trembling hands, ringing in the ears, body stone, spending half my life in the bathroom with diareah. loss of appitite, and the hot sweats. my room was never cool enough. I thought omigod. Im not a wrong person. it was the coughsyrup that caused all that. I wasnt' worthless or truly f***ed up. It's been a battle ever since. but at least I know that Im not some crazy loser, but Im a surviver! every f***ing day I survive.. dagnyaynz@hotmail.com

Posted: November 29, 2005, 7:57 PM
Young people, it was not too long ago that I had heard about the DXM abuse, and I'm a recovering heroin addict. I thought I knew it all. Plus I was calling it DMX, and my neighbor said "Ummm. That's a rap star". I'm old.

Please, please, please tell someone if you are doing this or please, please stop if that's even an option. I know this may fall on deaf ears, but it breaks my heart to know kids are out there doing this stuff.

Once my friend gave her little boy cough medicine when he was about five years old. It had the big DM on the front. This kid started talking in ryhmes, and walking in circles. It was like he was posessed. She's actually a drug/alcohol counselor, and was very careful with the dosage. We figured he had some sort of allergy to it or something. So I guess back then not even a counselor was educated on this stuff.

After reading this I bet he was tripping on it the poor child. My one friend has five kids, and she said she never heard a child speak every single word in rhymes like that. Needless to say that was the last time he was ever given that.

Know adults care. Please. They should do more talks on this at schools, and I know for a fact in my area this is not included in the assemblies.

Posted: November 29, 2005, 9:01 PM
DXM abuse over alonmg period is linked to Olneys Lesion on the Brain.. rather than get technical i will just tell you that it turns your brain into swiss cheese.

Stay away from DXM if you can and any dissociative drugs like PCP, Ketamine, Nitrous Oxide.

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here

Posted: January 10, 2006, 11:27 PM
I personally haven't done the DXM thing but I was with someone that did it for about 6 months and it was a very scary experience . He would do Dr.Jeckyl and Mr . Hyde . He would hear voices , hallucinate , suffer from paranoia . I would have days where I walked on eggshells . He was very unpredictable . He thought it was cool to get a buzz and not relapse into alcohol . But he did in fact relapse into alcohol 2 months later . Anyone out there abusing DXM needs to stop . It is a extremely dangerous thing to get into . Thanks S

Posted: February 11, 2006, 3:37 AM
although im mostly a pills person i often use cough syrup to get high. i do DXM or kids around my area refer to it a robotrippin, i also use night time cough syrup in a stubstitue to sleeping pills if im out. its cheap and easily eccessable, even for a 17 year old to get their hands on.

Posted: January 19, 2007, 5:28 AM
nice to meet you jeck.. we are drug fellows... i m 31y male from Pakistan using DXM from previous eight years available at every drug store with following specifications...
&#61558; Formula of Combinal- D Dextromethorphan Compound Syrup.
&#61558; Hydrobromide B.P 10mg
&#61558; Ethedrine
&#61558; Hydrochloride B.P 7.5mg
&#61558; Chlorpheniramins
&#61558; Maleate B.P 4mg
&#61558; Terpin Hydrate B.P 3.5mg
&#61558; Ammonium Chloride B.P 90.mg

i take three bottles a day... 120ml each.. i want to quit but found no way ... I am with you and we can exchange our views , experience in order to get a solution.
take care and byee
Zimz

Posted: October 22, 2017, 11:55 AM
Been taking all that s*** for years...got addicted when i went to college in a non drinking alcohol state, so feed with how much i spend on syrup. Need to quit before i loose everything, have a daughter.
post replypost new topic