post replypost new topic
Treatment At The Veterans Administration

Posted: February 20, 2018, 2:19 PM
Throughout the years I've been in and out of treatment for opiate dependency, some very successful, some absolutely useless, but I've never been to the VA for treatment. Until a few years ago I wasn't even aware that I qualified to go to the VA because of the way I was discharged back in 1977. I had been told back then I wouldn't qualify, but the law changed sometime in the 1980s and in 2015 or thereabouts I found that I did qualify and have received some treatment for other reasons besides opiate dependency.
So my question(s) is/are what types of treatment are available through the VA and what kinds of hoops might I expect to encounter to have to jump through if I opt for treatment via the VA?
As most anyone who has ever had to get in opiate dependence treatment should know not all treatment programs and facilities are created equally. Some are faith based, some are cold turkey based and some are "mental health" based with a heavy emphasis on pretending to know what makes us all tick. I have little to no interest in letting anyone try to dig into my mental status as I've had more than enough horrific experiences with the so called mental health experts.
What can I expect to encounter if I decide to seek treatment through the VA?
Celia

Posted: July 2, 2018, 11:54 PM
Depends, they have a variety of treatment programs. There's some that focus on ptsd and substance use, some just substance use. They use medication assisted treatment, psychiatric meds, promote alternative based methods..the VA really runsthe gamey on options. There's IOP, detox, CSS services , residential programs...the treatment options are bountiful it's really finding what suits your needs.

Posted: December 2, 2018, 6:10 PM
first of all hello. I am new but even though I am not a licensed pro for advice on legalities I could suggest you contact you nearest va administration again. Next vets should have shelter, donated clothes a food bank and a few toiletries. Use your talents to first volunteer if you like, and join a group Anyway. Don’t get overwhelmed.sorry to see last post was Feb. I think this website is pretty good. Don’t you hate cliches? No you can’kiss it and make it all better. But put on your grumpy cat T-shirt. If Trump could build a fence around himself or a VA center. (Just kidding). When I unwrapped gift at Xmas I knew I could journal, paint etc. Good luck. And my motto cope w/dope.

This post has been edited by Xmaswrap on December 3, 2018, 3:53 PM

Posted: July 17, 2019, 9:36 PM
I am a disabled vet and have been through the HELL that the VA calls mental health. The local hospital built an additional floor at the top of one of the towers and moved the mental health department there. I call it the "Cuckoo's Nest" and yes, Jack Nicholson would feel quite at home there, the people running the place need their own mental health services.

If you dare, go for the intake and find out what the VA has to offer you. You can always say no or maybe later.
post replypost new topic