post replypost new topic
Best Friend & Tenant

Posted: February 6, 2013, 8:11 AM
I just joined. We just found out that my husband's best friend - someone whom he has been friends with since he was 16, who also lives in our basement as our tenant, has been smoking crack for years. He claims he isn't doing it in the apartment - which shares vents etc. I hear him coughing all the time. I have a few questions.
If he is having a coughing fit - is it likely he is smoking it at that moment?
Also - I have smelled the classic "burning plastic" smell that I have read is what it smells like. We have young children and I am worried about exposure. Can anyone confirm that second hand exposure is a problem? I have read anecdotes on the internet that suggest it does. My youngest has been diagnosed with chronic asthma. I have ordered one of those hair drug testing kits to see if he has been exposed, in which case we can give him a 10 day eviction notice for harming someone. The tenancy rules here are pretty tricky. If he is selling, we can evict, but if he is only an addict we cannot. I want him out out out. Part of me feels guilty about wanting him out, because he needs help but I am quite certain that all those times I could have sworn there was 5 dollars in my wallet now add up to him sniping money. We have put a big ol lock on the door to our house from the basement apartment so he now can't get in.
I have a million more questions but will poke around the boards to see if they are already answered. Hoping this feeling of being duped will pass. sometimes it feels like disgust, and other times it feels like sadness.

Posted: February 6, 2013, 9:45 AM
hi there and welcome, my bet is you are right. Dont subject your children to even the possibility of exposure, prob tough for your husband to kick him out but maybe tell him he has x amount of days to find a place because its time to move on...good luck and be ready for the "i dont do it in the house" he could burn your house down with all of you in it

Posted: February 6, 2013, 12:44 PM
apparently he has found a room to rent elsewhere but isn't sure his stuff will fit in it. we are going to try to do everything to help him get that room. this morning we took him to the hospital because his lungs are bleeding. he looked awful - i have never seen him look so bad which makes me think i have never seen him either in between binges or maybe he has been using every day or something. i am a little shocked at my disgust with him right now. it is outweighing my compassion.

post replypost new topic