< prev  post replypost new topic
1 Day Sober From Alcohol 3yrs Sober From Other Stu

Posted: August 13, 2013, 9:59 AM
Hello Annaneko

It is great to hear that you are reading the Big Book and looking for a sponsor and attending meetings. Get a routine everyday where you do your AA readings. Asking someone to sponsor you is doing them a favour so don't be shy or slow about asking. You are doing a lot of good AA things to keep you sober. Keep it up! Talk to your Higher Power. Use all the tools you can to help yourself. The rewards and joys keep coming. Your posts sound so positive when you are doing the do things!

E.

--------------------
Let me love and serve and teach,
Those who come within my reach.
For miracles begin that way!
Author: Sally Deford
annaneko

Posted: August 15, 2013, 9:48 PM
I think that's so awesome that you are so close to your daughter, I wish my mom and I had that type of relationship, but she is very difficult to get along with and a real big trigger for me. My mom does not understand the disease and things it's a decision that I can just make "you can stop if you really wanted to". She's right in the aspect of wanting it yes that I do want but this disease is powerful and I dont think she quite understands that part. Yours and your daughters relationship is beautiful, I am hoping I will be a good mother like yourself and have my kids proud of me. Your strength is to be admired and I am very encouraged by you thank you. Have not yet found a sponsor but still trukin, been a lil depressed lately but working through that.

Posted: August 16, 2013, 6:47 AM
HI Ana .. people who are not afflicted with the disease of alcoholism do not understand it and that is another thing we have to accept.. some family members will try their best to educate themselves while others will think it is just a matter of putting down the bottle and that's it..we cannot change what others think, believe, say or do. but we can change our reaction to it.. the longer you are in AA the easier it will become for you to do that..I know it is frustrating but you hang in there and don't let anyone or anything deter you from your goal.
Yes Anna I do have a close relationship with my youngest daughter ,we have been through hell and back together from addictions to near death and lots and lots of issues to deal with and the relationship I have today with my two other grown children are one of the benefits of my sobriety. You see Ana when we are drinking parents we think we are not hurting anyone but ourselves but my drinking did hurt my children in big ways and that was difficult for me to accept.. to know that I brought unhappiness in their lives, chaos, turmoil ,shame and embarrassment which is why I do my best to try and convince young parents to stop drinking. It damages your children .and sometimes it takes a lot of work to at least mend it....there is no need to ask me how I know .
As for your depression that is common in early recovery ,as it is similar to a grieving period and unless you have been diagnosed with clinical depression or some other mental health problem it would be wise and if at possible to avoid taking any mood altering meds such as relaxers(antivan, anything ending in word pam) benzos because those have the tendency to increase alcohol cravings because it affects the same part of the brain as alcohol does.I found that out the hard way too.. what can work is to help alleviate depression caused by quitting alcohol is Exercise, fresh air and keeping a grateful journal at the beginning of each day and fill your mind with positive readings,spiritual readings ,inspirational music and change negative thoughts to ones that are positive,meditation ..and attending AA ,developing trust in God/HP ...etc etc.Also helping someone else will do wonders.... don't dwell on yesterday or on things that you cannot change instead try and focus on the benefits of what you are doing now.Dwelling on the negative will increase feeling of negativity so do your best to get out of your head and dont look at problems as obstacles but challenges.. you can do it.. believe in yourself and also believe that you are worth it because you are. and don't ever forget that.. sending encouragement, support, understanding and some cyber hugs(((((((( )))))))))

This post has been edited by pirate on August 16, 2013, 6:49 AM

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need

Posted: August 21, 2013, 12:23 AM
want to give up

Posted: August 21, 2013, 5:02 AM
Hello Anna

Please don't give up!

Most of us feel that way from time to time. This program of AA gives us tools to get through tough times like this. First thing to do is talk to another recovering alcoholic. Get to a meeting. Talk to your sponsor. If you haven't made any friends in AA close to home NOW is the time to reach out and say you are having a rough time. It doesn't even matter if you never have spoken to them before, THEY will help. None of us can do this this alone. Share your troubles here online and you will find friendly help available. Pick up that 100 pound telephone and call an AA help line.

Try online AA chatrooms such as www.stepchat.com.

Reach out, we want to help. YOU ARE WORTH IT!

E.

--------------------
Let me love and serve and teach,
Those who come within my reach.
For miracles begin that way!
Author: Sally Deford

Posted: August 21, 2013, 5:24 AM
HI Ana I have known of people who gave up.............they are not around now to tell their stories....

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
post replypost new topic