< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Codeine Addiction... Check In

Posted: January 10, 2015, 4:27 PM
Travelin Man: Thank you for the kind comment,. I try and be the best dad I can and raising him single handed isn’t easy, but I couldn’t see him go into care or anything. So the choice to take him on was easy for me. And yeah I’m always hard on myself. It’s just admitting I have a addiction problem and then certain people automatically start judging you is what I've been scared of. Especially since I have a child and people think all sorts of things.

Asking my mum for help is a no no. She’d get suspicious if I asked her to look after my boy for 1 week. I’d never hear the end of it. I have got other family I can ask and I know they’d say yes if I asked, but 1 thing I wanna know:

For N+ does the worst of the WD last about 1 week? I know it’s very hard to say, everyone is different - and people take different amounts, over different time periods, for different reasons, have different tolerance levels. etc etc But generally does the worst of it last 1 week? Maybe people who've done it could share? (For me I have a very very low tolerance to discomfort). On my own for 1 week yeah maybe could do it. But I’m nervous if after 1 week I’m still feeling bad and I then have to take my son back, I’d be in a terrible position. A toddler is hard work and me still WD isn’t going to be easy.

On Monday I will make some calls and book to see a doctor. I’ve been too nervous about the reaction I’d get and the shame n embarrassment I feel. But I will call on Monday and also check what anonymous services are out there. I know many people recommend NA?

Travelin Man Thank you again for your advice, it may seem ott but it really does help me knowing people care.

Monique: Bless you and thank you. Xx

This post has been edited by ltaylor91 on January 10, 2015, 10:55 PM

Posted: January 11, 2015, 6:14 AM
Itaylor, email me or find me on Facebook Loulynch @ live . Co . Uk

You shouldn't ever have to be alone in this
X

Posted: January 11, 2015, 4:56 PM
Day 4 begins.. The past 3 days have been a living hell. To awake to sleep to tired to be awake! I never imagined in my wildest nightmares it would be this hard. The past 70 hours I've been a total zombie..

I will need a miracle to pull this off!!

Posted: January 11, 2015, 5:21 PM
You can find your "miracle" in The 12 Steps of Narcotics Anonymous as I did.

I don't know any true addict/alcoholic of my type that walked away from their addiction without a Recovery Program.

I wish you the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)

Posted: January 11, 2015, 5:37 PM
Mike, you nearly there!! 2 more days hun and your guna feel better I promise!! You can do this just keep going, focus on the end of the tunnel, don't wallow! I did this and I failed. Your nearly there for the withdrawals! It's hard but don't give up! I'm thinking of you!

X

Posted: January 11, 2015, 5:47 PM
Hi Mike - you have already performed one miracle-you quit taking that s..t- i know the WD's are terrible right now but there is an end game in sight- a whole new life without this diseaes controlling you- YOU CAN BEAT THIS MIKE-hang in there its gonna get better -stay strong - keep reaching out- rooting for you -

Posted: January 11, 2015, 7:04 PM
Thanks Lulu and TM,
I'll read your replies over and over in the hours to come!!
Thank you, I'm truly great full ...
James I'll write you as soon as I can.. I'm in a world of horror ATM..
Keep safe

Talk soon

Posted: January 12, 2015, 6:12 AM
Mike how are you today? I hope you've had some sleep? Take some Imodium for your stomach so your not running to the loo, sounds strange I know but do you have a gym near you? If so go to the sauna, sit relax and sweat it out, the more you sweat the more of this crap comes out of your body.

I've been thinking of you, we can do this together!!
Hear from you soon,

Lou
X

Posted: January 12, 2015, 8:58 PM
Hey Mike, really well done pal. I think you’re doing incredible. I want to share something that might be useful, (in case you really need help to sleep)

4 years ago I was withdrawing cold turkey from methadone, it was horrible and in the end I failed – (for me painful headaches defeated me.). But a product called 5htp helped. It’s a natural amino acid that converts into serotonin in the brain. It is good treatment to reduce anxiety, depression and insomnia. On day 4 of my abstinence from methadone I took 1 tablet and within 10 minutes I felt so much better. I got 7 hours sleep that night, from the previous 3 nights of only 2-3 hrs. Felt very refreshed next day. (But as said, I ultimately failed cos headaches were the killer factor.)

This 5htp is just a tool that worked for me, it maybe not be suitable for you, or for others. It isn’t addictive (...so you won’t get high from it) so perhaps you could buy 5htp and just use it for a very short time, just to get over the worst of the symptoms? (Long term there is concern over the effects and interactions of this product.) But, short term use may help, as it helped me.

Well done again and keep going….

James

Posted: January 12, 2015, 9:03 PM
Thanks Lulu. I just emailed you xX

Posted: January 13, 2015, 6:02 PM
Day 6 begins.
I'm really sick. Havnt really slept now in 3 weeks. Can't eat, if I drink to many liquids it goes straight through. Thanks Lou will give that a try.
I'm at the ends of my wits with this now. It feels like I have insomnia. I'm that anxious my stomach burns. Thoughts of fear empower me to the point I'm shakey.
I really want to do this.. But there are triggers going off every minute.
I have a job that requires 110% attention, and I can hardly pull it together.
As soon as I stand up I need to go to the toilet.
My anxiety and fear has consumed me, to the point I can no longer fight.
I guess that's what they mean by fight or flight.
I'm To far in to go back not far enough to pull through.

James you remind me of myself in many ways.. I rip off myself to please others.. I'd do anything to please my child who is also 3 in a couple of months, he is my world also. How are you going? I wouldn't be able to look after him solely in the state I'm in with recovery.

Lou, 22, TM & 35 how are things your way? Thanks for the support.

Mike

This post has been edited by mikethemight on January 13, 2015, 6:04 PM

Posted: January 13, 2015, 6:19 PM
Mike it gets better, I'm
Honestly ok, with the help of a little night nurse I'm sleeping, taking vitamins and the diareaha relief tablets have helped me immensely.

It's the crap coming out it won't last too long. Your so close to being at the end you just have to push! It sucks I'm not even going to lie. It sucks and it's s*** and all you want to do it take a pill but you won't because your stronger! Today I laughed harder than I have in so long. I didn't feel numb any more. I Told my friend she's the only one that knows and she phones me everyday!! Mike my email is there, if you need to chat email me! I'm free every few hours so I won't not reply for hours.

Anything to help keep you sane!

Today I'm 2 weeks clear of anything bar paracetamol. I plan on staying that way too! I went to the chemist to get night nurse. I almost laughed in the woman's expectant face! That was a brilliant feeling!

Stay clean it's nearly over!!

I'll check my emails James!
Xx

Posted: January 13, 2015, 9:10 PM
Hi Mike hang in there- you are nearly through this- do not give in to this disease now- you have come too far- you should be proud of yourself the way you are fighting this thing- your winning Mike -keep going- stay strong - we are all rooting for you-YOU CAN DO THIS- you are not alone-

Posted: January 14, 2015, 6:20 AM
Hi Everyone, Im reluctant to be here, but never the less, here I am....I am addicted to N+ 50-60 a day for almost 2 years...I have said many times in my head, I have to stop this s***.... I am a married working mother of 3 fantastic kids...And 2 days ago I found out im expecting No 4..... What do I do???? c/t or will the wd's be that bad that I miscarry... or do I tapper off. I have had a total of 16 today, 8 this morning at 7am...and 8 at 12pm... and I can say now that im already in withdrawal mode.... I believe I can go cold turkey... I just need support for the tough times ahead.... NO ONE knows of my addiction....

Posted: January 14, 2015, 8:11 AM
Hello @tryinghard2

Well done up for joining and for asking for help.

I understand why you’re concerned; it sounds a very difficult and scary situation to be in. With anyone else, I’d say that cold turkey and tapering down were both viable options to try ... but with you, as you’re carrying – you don’t have that luxury. I’d say it’s critical you speak to a doctor, as soon as you can.

I’m not a medical professional, but I have studied pharmacology. I’d say going cold turkey in of itself won’t cause a miscarriage, but continued use of N+ in large quantities whilst pregnant could have serious consequences. If your body is metabolising codeine between the 30th and 40th week, the baby could possibly be born with a codeine dependency of its own and have withdrawal symptoms. The ibuprofen is very dangerous in early stages and could affect the development of his/her organs, especially the heart. But it’s really hard to tell, everyone is different. (My son is 2 and his mother when pregnant was addicted to crack, and I think also used heroin. He came out fine, no health problems. It’s just a matter of luck and chance. )

Possibly, if you think you are able to tolerate the withdrawal symptoms, you could go cold turkey. There are some other cases on here of women who have addiction issues, but while pregnant stopped using. But please, call your doctor, you don’t want to take the risk. You could also trying finding a helpline or something and chat to someone sooner. I know it’s a horrible thing to open up about, but I think as you’re pregnant, they should be more sympathetic.

Hopefully someone with proper medical knowledge will reply. Please know I care and that you’re not alone. Keep us updated.

Posted: January 14, 2015, 8:12 AM
Hey everyone, will reply to you all as soon as I have time. Wishing you all well, KEPP GOING!!

Posted: January 14, 2015, 7:19 PM
Thanks ltaylor....
Its been almost 24 hours since my last lot of n+....im at work today and in a world of pain... my legs are the worst of it today....if only I could sit down...my job requires me to be on my feet all day... uuugghhh...I have no one to blame but my self....and I accept responsibility...ive taken ur advice and im off to the docs next week....but for now im still more than confident I will bet this devil....be well everyone...keep on fighting...we all can do it...

Posted: January 15, 2015, 6:46 AM
Mike how are you? Jamie did you get my email?

Posted: January 15, 2015, 6:36 PM
Hi Lou,
Thanks so much for your support. Well it's 1 week 2day. Yesterday I went to a Dr who specializes in addition. She wrote me a script for Valium, she told me it'll help take the edge off the wds.
I'm just not sure if I should go down that road. She also gave me something to settle my stomach.
Havnt used that either. Seems to me like giving an alcoholic a case of spirits to take the edge off!!?
Can someone advise on this.. Please

TIA
Mike

Posted: January 15, 2015, 6:54 PM
Mike:

Why would you go to a doctor who specializes in addiction and then NOT DO WHAT THEY SAID ??!!
Are you smarter than the Dr ?? Do you realize what's happening here ??

I’m not saying that Valium is a good thing (I was on it for 15 yrs) but God we have to learn to trust someone. I had to come to the realization that my best thinking is going to kill me !!
I had to let go, to surrender, to trust and "get with the program".

I surrendered to AA/NA in 1989 and it was the best thing I could have done.

I wish you the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
post replypost new topic