post replypost new topic
Is It Safe To Drink After Quitting Heroin?
Chance

Posted: July 15, 2013, 12:43 AM
Okay so i was a IV heroin addict for 3 years, I have had 14 months clean now and very happy about it. Although last weekend I ended up drinking at my friends house, I did NOT get drunk. Just had a couple drinks by the pool. Everyone says that it will lead to a relapse on heroin, I personally think I can handle it because I never was an alcoholic. Just need a little perspective on my situation please.

Posted: July 15, 2013, 8:25 PM
Chance, Congratulations on your clean time. In regards to your question I guess it depends on who you ask. In NA you know what that answer is. A drug is a drug is a drug. Personally I can have a drink here and there. I've had a drink at weddings, parties etc. Wine for dinner. That kind of thing. Never been drunk since recovery. Then again that's me. If you're concerned about it though I would be reluctant. We're not alcoholics, but we don't want to wind up one, right? Again, you've done really well. I can imagine what people are saying to you, but that's because they care. All the best to you.

Posted: July 15, 2013, 9:20 PM
Hi Chance, thanks for stopping by.
I agree with the other poster, it all depends. Just to give you an idea, my mother drank when I was young and I hated it. She got sober before I ever started using heroin, but I swore I would never be like my mother and be a drunk...so I used drugs instead,anything and everything.

Dont fool yourself,it is still an addiction or could become one very quickly. With an addictive personality your best bet is to stay away from everything!!! You will find addicts go from one drug to another thinking as long as they are not doing their drug of choice they'll be OK.
There is a reason you want to get drunk or get loaded or whatever and until you figure out what that is you will keep using something .Good luck.
Granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: July 20, 2013, 12:46 AM
"I did NOT get drunk. Just had a couple drinks by the pool."

Your emphasis here tells me that it's probably not a good idea to engage in drinking. Think about it.
jackofhartzz

Posted: July 20, 2013, 1:48 PM
In certainly not a drinker, never mind alcoholic- - but, speaking just for myself>> After I have a few drinks ,maybe get a little buzz from 2 or 3 beers- - I begin to think about dope.

Because Im aware of this- - I very rarely drink. Maybe when Im far away from any known dope spot, like at a party down the Jersey shore or someplace like that- -
I still don't trust my actions when Im drinking. Alcohol definitely effects my judgement-
We all arent the same.... But for me..I leave the booze alone. Never was my Drug of choice anyway...hate hangovers ,,but I do like to drink a bit at parties at the beach . So I do- - However when Im back up near NY- - iM very careful.
so be aware....
respect
jack

Posted: July 22, 2013, 11:03 AM
Ha, Jack it's Brynn. I'm sitting here thinking "Hmmmm must be nice to be on the beach" You know how self centered I am.

Hope all is well. I'm wishing continued happiness for you and yours.

BTW, Tres is down the shore for the summer working. She's living life, having peace FINALLY in her darn life, soul searching and mantra chanting and reading and gardening. Somebody did say there was a dope prblem down where she is although she said she saw absolutely no indication. She's cool, but still we always hate to hear it.

Hoping the original poster here is O.K. Always it kills me that people get through heroin addiction only to die an alcoholic.

While we're at it my friend who was a drug/alcohol therapist for many years was telling me about a study that daughters of alcoholic fathers have a higher chance of becoming heroin addicted????????????????? I started going down a list and in my own little world concluded there's some truth to it. Not sons. Daughters. Crazy!
post replypost new topic