post replypost new topic
One Day At A Time...

Posted: March 5, 2012, 2:56 AM
One day at a Time...

I can remember hearing this in meetings and rehabs early on. In the days where i was still going to meetings either high or going to meetings just to go to look good for family, girl friends, friends. etc.... i remember thinking to my self, take it one day at a time, are they insane??? one minute at a time seemed like eternity, the notion of a whole day was endless. I will skip ahead for a second and explain that now that i have almost 10 months of solid sobriety ( one day at a time) i can finally appreciate this slogan. i will explain why later on. when your living in the moment and running from life with everything you have the last thing i wanted to do was live in today. at the end of my horrific using career about a year ago, all i wanted was to die and i prayed every night before i went to sleep that i would not wake up. to explain in detail the scene: i was 440 pounds, smoking 5 packs a day living in a sober house taking around 700 milligrams of methadone, and about 10,000 milligrams of Seroquel because since i lived in a sober house i could not take benzos ( valium, zanax) because i lived in a sober house and got drug tested. it was a methadone friendly sober house so i did not have to worry about failing drug tests for methadone so i could do as much as i wanted. i used to wake up every morning drive to the clinic, pick up three crack addicts and buy there methadone from them. i also woke towards the last few weeks of this insanity every day with a locked jaw from having seizures while i slept ( passed out) waking up with burns on every thing and cig butts in my mouth. A side note to this is of you have seen my user name is Joe and sister. she knows a lot of my story but does not know all of this, but i have decided to be 100% honest because that is extremely important to me to give my true story to every one so you can see that i can bounce back the way i did any one can. I now live in a sober house in ct, am 240 pounds , just got a great job as an assistant manager of a great store here in town. I have my family back in my life, i have my health and most importantly i am sober one day at a time and am in peace with my self and my addiction. i would not turn back the time if i had the chance. I believe that everything that happened to me happened to me for a reason that it all has made me stronger and more humble then i ever could have been with out becoming an addict. At times i want to interject parts of my story because it is important for me to let every one know who i really and and what i have been through to back up what I'm saying. my sister and i decided that if i could help just one person that this would be all worth it. TO GIVE IS TO RECEIVE
I feel that one day at a time is one of the most important tools that i have in my bag of tools. i feel and find that there is nothing i can not accomplish one day at a time. It helps me stay calm and patient. Remember Rome was not built in a day but one day at a time. also we did not destroy our lives all in one day...took me several years till ended up where i was a year and a half ago. you maybe thinking if you have 10 months of sobriety how are you saying a year and a half ago. i would love to sit here and say that a year and half ago was my bottom but it was not, i of coarse had the press the issue farther and well i will explain that to come in future posts.
So try to plan ahead but take things one day at a time as far as staying clean. the days will add up but before you try really try to be honest with your self and see if your really done this time. if you are done and want to have a life then you will be willing to do what ever it takes to get there. i lost the 200 pounds one day at a time. there were days that i was so hungry i couldn't even see straight. but i knew that if i didn't get the weight off that i would never be able to stay clean because with out self esteem i knew i could never stay sober... so what is the main reason why you still use??? what in side your self would you need to address before you get and stay sober???

Posted: March 5, 2012, 2:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your story Joe and welcome to the board.

You're one of the miracles...

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.
post replypost new topic