< prev  next >  post replypost new topic
Swallowing Suboxone
richstew

Posted: May 5, 2012, 12:35 PM
I read that you cant use suboxone intravenously, but I do from an 8 mg. pill. I've gone from 16 mg sublingually to 4mg snorting it to less than a mg a day intravenously. I got kicked out of my program and due to money issues needed to find a way to ween myself down and to be honest get off it all together. I am not advocating what I do by no means. I did what I had to do out of necesity. I found it weird that I could do so little intravenously to be OK compared to either the sublingual or snorting. I think it wears out of my system quicker than doing it any other way and I still wd the same as much as coming off the other ways, it just makes my supply last longer. Right now I am making 2mg last close to 5 days and not doing bad. I believe It wont be too bad to make the jump. It sucks that I had to play doctor with myself and figure all this out for myself. I know people are going to say it is the addictive personality but as far as I am concerned it is like being a diabetic. I do one dose in the morning and one in the evening and it works for me. Soon I can leave it all behind!!! I think the reason it does not seem to be so bad is that I stopped hating myself. It definitely took a psychological change and a bit of faith. I am not religious but believe it or not, prayer did help me. Good luck to you all.

Posted: May 5, 2012, 6:30 PM
Were you an IV user? If so, you are feeding that part of the addiction...the part that enjoys the tie and shoot...the rush of the needle.

I certainly hope you manage to find your way to clean, I really do....I hope your way works for you.

Peace ~ MomNMore

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
richstew

Posted: May 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
I was an intravenous drug user 12 yrs. ago and kicked everything and never did opiates again. I got hooked on sobos when my back couldn't take roofing and my roommate was doing them. I tried them and they helped so for a few years it has been nothing but sobos with no desire to ever do an opiate. Though I am still in that boat with the exception that I do not get high, just comfortable. I have been in the sobo clinic and got kicked out so now I am weening myself off and it has gotten down to about a 1/4 of a mg. 2 to 3 times a day. When I jump next month it shouldn't be so bad. I realize the rig is a part of the addiction also. It just made being on sobos cost effective and in the long run, I believe, easier to get off for me anyways. I do not recomend what I am doing, I just thought that the info may be new to most.
Deb

Posted: August 23, 2012, 6:55 PM
Chloe Bell - I am interested in hearin gmore about your story. IT sounds like what I want mine to be....very soon
Ashley

Posted: November 21, 2012, 6:38 PM
Hi I know this post was from a long time ago, but since I'm reading it then others probably are too! I'm in a intensive outpatient program right now and I'm 56 days clean today. Swallowing your WHOLE suboxone is pointless as my Dr. tells me when you swallow your subs you are getting nothing from it, it sits in your stomach as you digest it and it dies in your feces (poop) (TMI? Sorry if so LOL) I'm not sure if anyone has been told this, (I'm sure you have) but you should not EAT, DRINK or SMOKE 20 minutes before and after you take your dose of suboxone as this decreases the effects and from experience taking it on the street and now taking it as prescribed I know this works! At first I as well felt I was on to much suboxone and made an appt. with my doctor to lower my dose, but he did now allow me to. Now being 56 days into the program I feel this isn't enough for me and I don't know why. I processed it in my group today and others feel the same way who are around my sobriety date. I'm pretty sure we came to a realization that this is mental and in some way your brain goes back to that addictive behavior at times and tells you that you need more of something no matter what it is.

Just know that we are Sober JUST FOR TODAY! Whatever may be wrong WILL PASS as long as you have the right treatment and sober support! Even when your at your lowest point and feel like giving up just remember things will change and will get better. No one ever said this would be easy, but it sure is worth it! Good Luck to all. I wish you all the best! God Bless!
Marty

Posted: September 14, 2013, 3:28 PM
Hi guys. Ok I've been an opiate user for several years. I've heard everything imaginable when it comes to methods of using Suboxone. My doctor started me out on 20 mg's after switching from Methadone. I felt like that was too much and the doctor strongly suggested not lowering my dose but allowed me to cut down to 12 mg's. At this point I was dissolving as directed. I noticed no difference from switching from 20 mg to 12 except that I felt a lot better! No headaches, clammy skin, chills, etc. I then asked to cut down to 8 mg. I never noticed anything at all from dropping except the drop in price. People say the doctor has you on 20 for a reason. There is no way for a doctor to know exactly what dose you should be on. It varies from person to person. You have to be responsible and honest and make a decision based on what's best for you. All the talk about which way of dosing is more effective can usually be attributed to addict behavior. I will say though one day I accidentally swallowed my 8 mg tablet (yes accidentally) and never thought anything of it. 10 Minutes later I noticed I felt way different than I had previously on Suboxone. I felt good. But how could that be? I was told if it were swallowed only 10% or so would actually end up doing anything ( Read bio-availability chart). I cannot find many other people saying the same thing. My twin brother now swallows his whole and can't believe the difference. I'm not saying I get high but I don't feel any of the uncomfortable feelings I thought were part of being on suboxone. I'm not saying this is a way everyone should take suboxone. All I know is it works way better for me. I'm glad I accidentally swallowed it that day. No science really backs up that claim and I never would have thought it to be the case. But there is an unmistakable difference. My brother was skeptical but he too now swallows it whole. I've gotten to the point now where I rarely think about drugs, the method of doing them, etc. To meet that's a big step. Next step get off suboxone. Oh and I haven't had a bowel movement and it's been 4 days since I started swallowing. I am eating the same food as I was before and I was having a bowel movement every morning. Another sign the opiates are having more of an effect. And I've been noticing less and less of an itch. The first time I swallowed it I sweat and itched a lot. Tolerance is building so I expect side effects to lessen each day. Sorry for the length and probably creating more questions than I did answers lol. Take care everybody and I hope you continue not using.
Nita

Posted: October 23, 2013, 1:53 PM
On the subject of ingesting suboxone/buprenorphine sublingually or swallowing, I'm extremely interested and desperate to get answers regarding this particular issue. I have a serious gagging reflex problem and everytime I have to ingest this med I literally have to phsych myself out ridiculously! I will put it off for hours and hours before actually going thru with it. This med makes me throw up! I cannot tolerate the horrific taste and am to the point where if there is anyway that I could just swallow it ---- I'm doing it! I haven't actually just tried it only because I don't want to waste it if it ends up not working cause its so darned expensive and I have to make do with a certain amount each month. So, if anyone out there could help me out here and give me some insight as to whether "swallowing" the bupe would still work or not, I would be extremely grateful cause I'm at the point where I'd almost rather go thru w/d's than suffer these gagging/puking daily episodes! Thank you so much.
Nita

Posted: October 23, 2013, 2:47 PM
To richstew: Although the idea of injecting anything is completely disgusting to me, I do understand that it was your way of stretching out your supply. Alot of people (especially if they have insurance) don't ever have to deal with these type of issues/problems. I for one, do. I'm a single mother with a handicapped child living from paycheck to paycheck and everytime I have to fill my bupe script ---- it puts me in a bind with my finances. I even commend you because it sounds like you tried varioius methods of injesting the med in an effort to find which one was going to make your supply last the longest. Reason I say this is because you could have always done what I've seen many individuals do and that is use it as an excuse to use, all the while telling themselves "well, what am I supposed to do? I'm out of meds so I don't have any choice", and justify it that way. Believe me, I have heard that excuse from so many people so many times it's not even funny! But you didn't do that and that's why I commend you. It sounds like you've stayed focused on your recovery and as long as you stay focused, I believe you will succeed! I wish you all the luck in the world!

Nita

Posted: October 24, 2013, 11:01 AM
To "Cowgirl" post of 12/6/10 regarding her response to the question of 'swallowing vs. sublingually ingesting suboxone: Cowgirl, your reply said something to the affect that subs were "designed to be used under the tongue for a reason" (and that's absolutely correct), but what you said next is what I don't agree with because I am personally one of the individuals who has desperately been trying to find some kind of solution to my problem of sublingual ingestion due to my severe gagging reflex which is brought about from the disgustingly nasty taste of this medication! So, no, I don't agree that "doing anything other than what your dr. prescribes is ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOR and not condusive of recovery", (your words) because I am sick and tired of puking everytime I have to ingest mine! It has nothing to do with "addictive behavior" at all. I don't know about you, but I'm just not a fan of having to vomit to take my medication!

This post has been edited by nt53 on October 24, 2013, 11:06 AM

Posted: November 23, 2013, 4:07 AM
Suboxone tabs and Suboxone film are only to be used sublingualy. Under your tongue until it dissolves. Sublingual us a rapid absorption through the vein under your tongue. Swallowing one is about as affective as taping it to your eyebrows. This us not a med you can take another route with and expect any efficacy.

Posted: November 26, 2013, 11:57 PM
Do they even prescribe pills/tablets anymore? I thought you could only get strips now?

--------------------
rayray13

My story - I am an opiate addict on Addicts-anon.com

Posted: January 2, 2014, 1:47 AM
I just wanted to say that suboxone and subutex are highly addictive EVERYONE I've talked to says so and I am o. The med myself and when I didn't have the money to get my med out and had to go without for a few days I was very very sick agitated and didn't want to move. I'm going to admit at least some of that was psychological!
herbert jones

Posted: January 5, 2014, 11:20 AM
I love this tread :) Hello, I live in the Midwest and don't know anybody on Suboxone (generic pill). Anyways these stories are great and the doses people have I can compare with mine. I'm all by myself in this opiate addition around here and I don't know anyone on Suboxone. I used to get high everyday and it was just no way to live a life. I have a daughter that loves me and that's what I was missing psychologically. I was always there in person and was a lot of fun because I was so high. Well now I have so much more of a organic relationship with my daughter, and we love each other more than ever. Some people say that you cant fix pill addition with a pill. Well I beg to differ, this pill has totally changed my life, and others around me. I am on 12 mg a day and think I am going up to 16mg. Besides my numb hands and my low sex drive the pills are great.

My favorite thing about them is also the part I hate the most about them, is that you can't get high! My dr. said a three day shelf life, but I think it is more like two. Someone had a good point that we are the ones that know are bodies and know if it is too much. Sometimes I feel really crappy and I don't think that I want it raised again, but my dr. does. They have never done them so they don't know what it feels like not to go to the bathroom in comfort or not to get aroused for a lady that really likes you :) All I know is that the good outweigh the bad, and that's the truth!

One question?? Does anyone know how long you are supposed to be on these before your side effects subside or get worse permanently. They seem like they are giving me arthritis and I would hate to keep that forever. My goal is to be on 2 mg a day. Thank you everyone that read this and just listened to me. I've never had anyone to talk to about this. I live in S.D. and most of the people that live here are senior citizens and don't get too much into opiates .. lol! Well maybe a couple I don't know about do ;)
Junkie in Recovery

Posted: May 7, 2014, 11:38 PM
Ok this is my opinion

Yes swallowing the strips still works and I can not tell any difference swallowing vs under the tounge I did 16mg for the first week and tapered down after that to 8mg because at that point I was finished with my detox enough to not get sick on 8mg. The reason why I swallow is because I don't like the taste reminds me of chewing up pain pills. I believe that the only difference between swallowing and under the tounge is how fast the medication begins to work. I believe that is why they use strips much much more than pills. Under the tounge the medication begins to work much quicker than if swallowed. Your body isn't loosing any part off the medication it just takes a lil longer to fully active. And yes possibly may make your stomach upset but I have a strong stomach do I have never had a problem. My advice taper down and get off as soon as possible and have some left over incase the urge becomes to strong take one and let someone know the situation. I don't want to be on any medication as possible because I'm not gonna always have that crutch to save me. Good luck I hope that this was helpful. ONE LOVE
Mila

Posted: June 25, 2014, 3:32 PM
Do Not swallow your sub it's doesn't make any effect it just makes u vomit u should make it melt under your tongue so that the veins there suck it up like a sponge to take effect
Frank

Posted: July 8, 2014, 5:01 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones. I stopped taking suboxone 8mg twice a day, cold turkey and did not feel a thing. After hundreds of real opiate withdrawals, maybe I'm just used to it by now. Has away one else experienced this? I thought I should post this positive experience with getting off of suboxone.

Posted: August 28, 2014, 7:40 PM
considering that swallowing them is less effective, I'd say that's not an addictive behavior

Posted: August 31, 2014, 10:33 AM
It's proven that Buprenorphine is more effective when taken sublingual, but that doesn't mean it will have no effect at all. The bad thing is its likely to give stomach aches and there is a definite difference in the effects. The drug should be taken under the tongue unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

--------------------
Join me over at Suboxone Support Blog for a unique perspective on Sub treatment, addiction and of course, RECOVERY!
Trey Lesh

Posted: November 17, 2014, 3:46 AM
I have personal experience swallowing the tablets and they DO work. My research has indicated that if you swallow the tablets, you will not get as much buprenorphine in your system as you would sublingually. Again, this is from personal experience as I was on the 8mg tablets for over a year and the taste made me gag/vomit, so I began doubling my dose and swallowing them. I feel that subutex not only is stronger, but it blocks other opiates more. Completely, actually. Can't explain this since there is no blocker, but that's how it worked for me. Good luck.
Tara

Posted: June 16, 2015, 8:49 PM
I've been on suboxone for 6+ yrs. I swallow them every single day.. I've dissolved them a few times, never seemed different.
post replypost new topic