post replypost new topic
Al Or Nar Anon?

Posted: July 2, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hello whoever reads this :) I'm hoping I can get some advice here as I can't find anyone in my AA world in this situation.

I'm a recovering Alcoholic and my spouse, who I met a few years into my sobriety, recently admitted they're an addict and was admitted to a treatment facility a few days ago. I understand why I need to seek support through an *-anon group, but I'm struggling with it and my AA sponsor self-admittedly can't really help me with this, so I thought I'd try here :)

I know that there are more Al-anon meetings than Nar-anon and I know that I'll probably find people I can identify with easier at Al-anon (just due to number of members & meetings), but I've been to an Al-anon meeting in the past (another family member) and I felt really awkward; like a wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak. I am first and foremost an alcoholic, a very grateful one and I have no shame in that, but I just felt really out of place at an Al-anon meeting. On the other hand, I feel like going to Nar-anon isn't going to help me because of the relative lack of apparent (<<< I know this is pure ignorance, because I haven't actually been to a Nar-anon meeting, but I'm just being honest) support, based on the number of meetings in my area.

I'm hoping someone can share their experience with me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: July 4, 2013, 5:42 PM
You say you understand why you may need support but does that mean you want support?

Does it mean that the best sort of support is through a meeting? For me meetings didn't work, I didn't like them, didn't do the group thing. I found support through tapping my soul and pain into my keyboard to some fab people on here. I also found a great drop in 1 to 1 place which was free. Yoga helped, setting lots of boundaries with my addict helped, educating myself so I knew what to expect that all helped, don't go somewhere just because people tell you that you need to.

--------------------
[COLOR=blue]

Stay Strong

post replypost new topic