post replypost new topic
Hi Everyone

Posted: January 11, 2013, 1:40 PM
Im really mad. I just wrote this whole long thing about getting my dog put to sleep. and I tried to add a picture and it didnt work which would be ok except that everything went away...I dont know what I did wrong.

Anyway, I had to get my dog put to sleep. It was really horrible for me and my kids. We had him for a long time. But Im ok now. And I made sure something came from all pain. I felt really guilty that I had not been walking him. So he wound up with hip problems and diabetes. I felt it was my fault. So Ive been getting up everyday and walking my 2 little dogs to keep us all healthy. We walk a mile in about 20 mins. Im hoping to up it to 2 miles soon or maybe a mile twice a day. My oldest son was really messed up over losing Randy (dog) so his girlfriend brought home a little tiny 8 week old chihuahua mix. Its so cute. One of my dogs loves it and the other one wants to kill it...but shes getting better...I hope. I dont know why she is so mean. We now have 2 little dogs, a puppy, a bearded dragon, and a Mexican Red Knee tarantula...I love them all even the spider.

Well I just wanted to say hi and let you all know I am alive and sober. I hope you all had a great Holiday.

so how can I add a pic? When I click on "image" it says type in the whole URL but my pics are in my computer they are jpeg images. How do I make them URL? Sorry if any of this sounds dumb. I dont know much about computers.

This post has been edited by Jessi L on January 11, 2013, 1:56 PM

Posted: January 11, 2013, 4:55 PM
Well Hi Jessi!!!
Its so good to hear from you and to find you are still doing well!!!!

I am SO sorry to hear about losing your beloved family friend:( :( It is hard on everyone, especially the kids.

I know just how you feel about losing your dog. We lost 2 dogs about a month apart last summer. As far as you're being responsible for your dogs arthritis, you aren't.

Some breeds are just more prone to it, like labs,goldens,collies,australians, Rotts etc, the bigger breeds. Our lab chow mix, Corree,who we bottle fed from about 10 days old, was almost 17 yrs old when we had her put to sleep. She was doing pretty well with the exception that her hind was end started not cooperating with the rest of her.She could not hold up her own weight anymore and couldnt walk.And even then we held out, trying to help her to walk by putting a towel under her abdomen and each taking a side and hold her up while she walked. That worked for a bit, but she was really cranky and I know it hurt her. We knew it was time.

Once that happens there isnt a lot you can do. Now, of course, if you have pet insurance or other source of money you can opt for a total hip replacement, but that seems foolish with an older dog. And, while walking her may have helped some, eventually it becomes too bad and painful to do anything. We had Corree on a supplement called Hip Health for quite a few years that in my opinion helped her considerably by putting some of the "fluid" back between the joints(synovial fluid) that isn't made fast enough naturally by the body as we age.It made it possible to walk better by putting lubrication back between the joints thereby making her able to move easier. That goes for people too.

I am sure you have heard of it,its called glucosamine. Most dog owners dont use it as a precaution if their breed of dog is known to get hip dysplasia or have hip problems, they start using it when they start having a problem.

Regardless, YOU are not responsible for your dogs hips being bad nor was there a lot you could have done.You gave your dog a wonderful loving home and it was time to say goodbye.

Your house sounds like ours...4 dogs,4cats,a macaw,an Amazon parrot,a parakeet and a Japanese fighting fish(Beta). I dont mind tarantulas, & my granddaughter loves insects and stuff but I dont think I'd want one in my house:)

A word of caution about your dog that doesnt like the new little one. Be VERY careful. The little dog has no defense against the big one. One attack could mean the end of the puppy.
An example, we had 2 chihuahuas, a male and a female. We had the male first, then I brought home the female, a real sweetie. Marley was kinda grumpy anyway, but from day one until the day he died he DID NOT like Emmie. She never did anything to him,ever. She just lived here. He went out of his way to go after her. Fortunately he didnt have many teeth so she never got hurt. In his eyes he was dominant. I think you know, dogs have pack mentality, there is always one at the top,the leader, and one at the bottom. Marley was the leader, Emmie was the bottom, she got all the crap.

I dont know the structure of your pack, so just be aware that if the big dog that doesnt like the pup is your pack,she may never like it and could hurt it.
Marley is gone now so Emmie finally has a little peace and the other dogs dont bother her much.

Its good to hear from you honey. Keep in touch.
Hugs,
Granny

ps.I'm sorry I dont know how to post a picture here.

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on January 11, 2013, 5:08 PM

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: January 11, 2013, 5:39 PM
Good to see you, Jessi....glad you're still clean & dealing with it as it comes.

xoxo
Stacey

--------------------
Happiness is not in the bottom of a pill bottle. It's inside you.

Posted: January 12, 2013, 1:20 PM
Hi Guys!

Thanx, Granny. :) I am being really careful with the new puppy. All my dogs are small now but my female chihuahua mix is mean...I dont know why. We raised her from a pup. She should be a nice dog. She has always been the alpha and she was not here first. My male Lab was here before her and he was such a nice dog. Even as a puppy she took charge and just dominated him. She attached herself to his ear one time when she was only a couple of months old. Poor Randy was trying to run away but she was just swinging from his ear like a little tiny pit bull. The new pup has a crate so we have been letting her sniff around it when hes inside and we let them move around each other when we are all on the floor with them. She seems very sad and confused. Shes fine as long as shes behind him but as soon as they get face to face she starts to act like a monster. She was like this when we brought home our last little dog and then one day they were playing...it was weird. I didnt see what happened. I think we were so worried about her killing him that we never let them go through her showing him she was boss and him submitting. But I realize we cant do that with the baby. He is so tiny. She has gone after him twice. But she is getting better. What is worse is the other dog loves the puppy. So he has been acting a little tough like he wants to protect his new little friend so this has caused some little fights with them...We never leave the puppy alone. So hopefully she will get past this. Or the poor puppy will spend his whole life in my sons room. :)

Posted: January 12, 2013, 5:03 PM
You are doing the right thing,slow introductions.

And you are correct,they need to have the time where whichever dog is top dog has to try and prove/keep that position. In "dog land" size does not deternmine who is pack leader, it attitude and behavior.

The grump may decide this little newcomer isnt worth all the fuss and like her in the end.

Good luck. And don't be a stranger!!

Granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
dirty dingus

Posted: January 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hay Jessi

It’s really sad about the dog, my dog I have had for 18 years now and he sometimes looks really old and ill and other times he seems full of life running around outside like a puppy (maybe he’s going senile) he lives with my wife and he is like her child (we have no kids “except me lol”) she is going to be devastated when he dies, much as I love the dog, “it’s a dog” death is part of life, everything has a beginning a middle and an end
I’m glad to see you are still around, I never forget the beautiful story you told a while back and I still draw inspiration from it now in times of darkness, I seem to go through fazes I will do well for weeks then something will happen and I end up blowin loads of cash I don’t have now as I have lost my job now, but I am still trying and I think I am doing well, its just this final hurdle so I am not going to beat myself up over it. Everyday is another chance for me
BOB

Posted: January 14, 2013, 5:42 PM
Hi Jessie! It's about time you showed your face around here...I'll be back later!
M&M

--------------------
You will not change what you are willing to tolerate.

user posted image
post replypost new topic