next >  post replypost new topic
No More Chicken..now What?

Posted: February 10, 2014, 6:23 AM
HEY NOW,

WHILE ON THE SURFACE, THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT..POPPING A PILL, OR ENDURING RAGGING WITHDRAWL, OR FINDING A MEETING..IT KINDA IS.

AS MANY OF YOU KNOW, BACK IN 2009 WHEN I GOT CLEAN, I TOOK A JOB IN A CHICKEN PLANT. WHERE WHILE IN THE MIDST OF WITHDRAWL, I ENGAGE IN EXCUTIATING PHYSICAL LABOR, IT HELPED THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB, RESTORED MY PHYSICAL HEALTH, THE MONEY I WAS MAKING PAID OFF FINES, LAWYERS, PROBATION ETC.

WELL I KEPT ON WORKING THERE, FOR THE LAST 4 AND A HALF YEARS, EVERYDAY WITHOUT MISSING A DAY, I WENT O WORK AT 0600.

NEVER HAD AN ISSUE, A WRITE UP, PERFECT ATTENDNCE FOR 4 AND A HALF YEARS MAN.

DURING WHICH I TOOK SO MUCH s*** FROM SO MANY PEOPLE.. I GAVE ALL HAD TO THAT PLANT.

WELL LAST WEEK, TWO MEXICAN DUDES THERE STARTED MESSING WITH ME, ROUTINE THING TO WHICH I HAVE LEARNED TO IGNORE..HARMLESS. YET HOSTILE.

THIS TIME I DECIDED, CONFRONT EM, WELL IT ESCALATED , I PUSHED ONE OF THE GUYS.SO THEY FIRED ME..

I FILED A GRIEVENCE THROUGH MY UNION.EXCEPT THEY COULD CARE LESS..SO HERE I SIT MONDAY MORNING..NO WORK.

I AM ANGRY ABOUT IT.

I GOT NO IDEA WTF TO DO.

I NEED A JOB.

ANYBODY NEED ANY HELP ROUND HERE?

OH YEAH. LEST I FORGET..NO DOPE NO MATTER WHAT.

LOVE

Posted: February 10, 2014, 9:05 AM
Joe, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Hoping things get better for you today.

hugs,
Heather

--------------------
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might just find you get what you need :-)

Posted: February 10, 2014, 7:00 PM
Hey Joe..I am so sorry. That's bullsh*t that you automatically got fired over that. I hope your union rep can do something.......
Best of luck.......
Hugs
Lorraine

Posted: February 11, 2014, 12:03 AM
This sounds terrible, problem is, right or wrong, you assaulted the guy. I know they pushed u to it, where it seemed u had no choice, but, I know u already know how that s*** plays out. I know honesty is a big thing in recovery, but, as u know, honesty does not always lead to the truth. That is what is important. Sometimes, if u know u did right, u gotta be the wolve in sheeps clothing. SO THE QUESTION IS, DID U ADMIT U PUSHED THE GUY FIRST,. iF SO , DID U ADMIT IT IN WRITING OR WAS IT VERBAL, in which case whoever u told may have misunderstood u when u said u pushed him. My guess would be u didn't push him, he was coming at u and u held ur arms out in self defense.

I think u still have the same kind of thinking I do - if u work somewhere, and work hard and do a good job, that the company or union or whatever powers may be, actually give a $hit about right or wrong or fair play or any of that. Looking back, I was always naive enuff to believe that. In most cases, it's not true, they only care about what is best and most convenient for them. They might put on a show, a public face, etc., but they don't care unless they have to.

It sounds to me like you may have been in a hostile work environment, which I believe is against the law even in states like Florida. Proving it might be difficult, unless u have documentation & or witnesses- but I'm not sure. If u can get a lawyer to take it on consignment u might be in high cotton, but if they want a fee they are probably just roping you along.

I'm thinking the 2 best courses of action for u r apply for unemployment - make sure any wrong u might have done is spun away. Look for another job. Even if they deny unemployment at first, u might win on appeal & get all the backchecks, and meanwhile I am guessing a guy who works as hard as you will find another job.

You'll be OK, u have gotten by so far, and things were way harder when u quit dope & worked while sick. You r strong, stronger than u think and as strong as u want to be. I'm not talking positive smack, I've read ur posts over the years, both what u have said & what was there unsaid.

Pat urself on the back, kick urself in the as$, and stand tall. I HOPE I DIDN'T OFFEND U, I APOLOGIZE IF I DID- BUT MY INTENT IS for good for u, but u can yell at me if u want.

God Bless,
I'll toss in a prayer
Harry

--------------------
No matter what right you did or what wrong you didn't do: When you're the black sheep, all blame belongs to you

Posted: February 11, 2014, 12:50 AM
I know in this economy jobs are hard to come by. However, maybe it was time for you to move on. You don't need all that b/s in your life especially now that you've been clean for over 4 years. I pray that there is another better job out there for you. One where you will be respected and treated fairly.

Posted: February 11, 2014, 6:43 AM
HEY NOW,

YOU KNOW, I REALLY LOVE EVERY PERSON ON THIS BOARD, FIRST TIME POSTER, OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND.

THAT FOR ME IS WHAT LIFE IS REALLY ALL ABOUT FOR ME..THE RELATIONSHIP, THE CONNECTION..BE THAT AT COPERATE HEADQUARTERS, OUT IN THE PRISON YARD, THE CHICKEN PLANT OR THE MESSAGE BOARD..

SOMETIMES RELATIONSHIPS HELP, SOMETIMES THEY HURT..

I HATE WHEN THEY HURT, I HATE WHEN LIFE HURTS, I HATE HURTING...AHHHH THAT'S WHY I DID DOPE...

TODAY I REALIZE..PAIN HAPPENS, FEAR HAPPENS, FAITH HAPPENS, LONELINESS HAPPINESS. HELP HAPPENS, YOU CATCH A BREAK, YOU SCREW UP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO..GO THROUGH IT , OR IGNORE IT.

OH, I WAS WRONG TO PUSH THE GUY, CAN'T SAY I AGREE WITH THE THOUGHT PROCESS THAT DRAWS THE LINE AT PHYSICAL CONTACT..LIKE A PUSH IS SOMEHOW MORE HURTFUL THEN 10 YEARS OF f***ING VERBAL ABUSE OR WHATEVER.

YET SEEMS THAT'S WHERE THE LINE HAS BEEN DRAWN.

I WILL UTILIZE WHAT RIGHTS ARE AFFORDED ME..FILE A GRIEVNCE, APPEAL UNEMPLOYMENT ETC. ALL THE WHILE POUNDING THE PAVEMENT..

s*** HAPPENS MAN..

I CAN TALK ABOUT OR I CAN STUFF IT..

I WILL PROBABLY DO BOTH, TALK ABOUT IT SOMETIMES, WHILE SITTING ALONE IN MY HOUSE IN THE GRIP OF PARALAZING HOPLESSNESS.

I'M JUST WALKING A ROAD, TRYING MY BEST, AND GIVING WHEREEVER AND WHENEVER I CAN..

I WILL SAY, I HAVE WATCHED A TON OF OLYMPIC COVERAGE AND LEARNED A BIT ABOUT RUSSIA, DOESN'T PAY THE BILLS, I JUST BELIEVE THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN BILLS.

Love

Posted: February 11, 2014, 3:08 PM
HEADS UP..You are gonna find the job of your dreams and leave those guys in the dust..I am so glad to hear you have been clean for so long..AN INSPIRATION !!!!

Posted: February 12, 2014, 5:42 AM
HEY NOW,

I HOPE I FIND MY DREAMJOB, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST THAT, IT FELT REALLY GOD TO READ IT.

HEADS UP...YEP...HEADS UP.

OH I GOT AN INTERVIEW AT 1000 TODAY, AT THE HOSPITAL, YEP DELIVERING TRAYS TO PATIENTS.

DID A PHONE INTERVIEW YESTERDAY, SECOND INTERVIEW TODAY.

THE LADY SAID, WE DELIVER TRAYS AND SMILES..

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

PLUS WON'T BE THE FIRST TIME, I DELIVERED TRAYS.. DID A BIT OF THAT IN TDC.

LOVE

Posted: February 12, 2014, 5:58 PM
Joe,

I get the impression that u have that street toughness, that almost undefined strength that's gotten u thru a lot & kept u goin, even when it felt like 5 0 was on ur behind , and ahead was nothing but high fences and no out alleys.

Even though the pis$ and vinegar of youth have vanished and at times(to paraphrase Dylan) : "Our weariness amazes us."

But as tired as we are, even if we want to, even if we try to, we have that "NO SURRENDER" thing- it's part of our very essence, we never learned to quit.

It is a real good thing that during ur down time u r trying to do things u enjoy. This unintended 'break' won't last forever, so make sure you take full advantage of it.

A FEW YEARS BACK I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING A JOB, and when I did, I couldn't keep it. Where drugs a factor--for sure, and in spite of the obvious, in my mind I blamed it on other things, which were also true.

Truth be told, a major contributing factor was the way certain things seemed to work in the south (anyway in the central Florida area, probably places like Mia, Ft Laud., etc might be different.) For the prior 25 years or so I had been involved in sales, mostly outside. Back in upstate NY, the main thing that mattered about sales was selling things. Of course there was always some politics, and obvious lines to stay between, etc etc.

I never set the world on fire with my sales (except for every now and then) but I did OK & in the right situations I sometimes excelled. I have to assume my habit had some effect, but it wasn't an obvious deficet.

$hit, I haveto go----can't save this, so I'll post what I got, finish later.

Bottom line, couldn't get or keep job here----a therapist asked me y not at my age get disability?

I went thru atty & got it within months.

Have u ever considered it--u've worked ur whole life & certainly earned it & from what uhave said u qualify for it & if u want, u r allowed 2 work & make x dollars a month.

Just a thought

Harry

(BY the WAY, TO MY WAY OF THINKING, IF SOMEONE KEEPS F...KING WITH U, AND BAITING U,
it seems like the appropriate action is to push them, or smack them.....But for whatever reason, the law views it as assault & the antagonist gets away with his poisonous provocation.)

--------------------
No matter what right you did or what wrong you didn't do: When you're the black sheep, all blame belongs to you

Posted: February 12, 2014, 9:53 PM
IM so very sorry for your situation. That most be awful..but you should of not touched anyone, thats what they wanted,,,there there and now your out..that's so sad, but sweetie all I can say is, you will found another job. I promise. God bless you poopie

--------------------
just remember we are here to hold your hand..

Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:33 PM
Hey - how did the interview go? I am routing for you!!
Best of luck!
Hugs!!
Lori

Posted: February 13, 2014, 10:51 AM
HEY NOW,

THE INTERVIEW WAS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE AND THE LADY WAS PLEASANT ENOUGH. SHE MOVED ME ONTO THE NEXT STEP IN THE PROCESS..EMPLOYMENT HISTORY VERIFICATION, BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, REFERENCES CHECK, THESE ARE PREFORMED BY THE HR DEPT.

COULD TAKE 2 WEEKS TO COMPLETE..

NOW HERE'S THE THING..I DID A PHONE INTERVIEW, I DID AN IN PERSON INTERVIEW, I WILL HAVE EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE EXAMINED..EMPLOYMENT, PERSONAL, CREDIT, DRUG TEST, YEP THEY WILL KNOW ME..I GET , WANTING TO KNOW YOUR NEW HIRE, I GET WANTING TO MAKE A BRILLIANT HIRE.

BUT FOR CHRISTS SAKE THE JOB PAYS 7.60 AN HOUR...SEEMS LIKE THE REASON FOLKS QUIT IS THE PAY SUCKS..

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW:)

Love

Posted: February 13, 2014, 11:18 AM
That is crazy, a company going thru that kind of process for a $7.60 per hour job. Have u checked out the listings at the dept of labor (unemployment office which u can access at home thru ur computer-- sometimes they have some ok job openings listed.

--------------------

Posted: February 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
Hey,
glad the interview went well but does seem like alot to go thru for the pay they are offering but hey, a job is a job, especially when you are out of work and can't collect. Good luck! I hope you hear something soon.

Hugs
Lori

Posted: February 14, 2014, 10:50 AM
HEY NOW,

I DO CHECK THE JOB BOARD..I HAVE APPLIED TO 3 OR 4 OFF THERE. I HOPE SOMETHING BREAKS..

NOW, I WILL SAY LAST NIGHT I CREATED A NEW RESUME, UPDATED MY MONSTER.COM ACCOUNT.

AND GOT WITH..HUMILITY..NOT IN, I WILL TAKE ANY JOB..MORE IN THE I ACCEPT AND KNOW WHO I AM, I KNOW WHAT I AM CAPABLE OF, AND THE POTENTIAL I HAVE.

I ALSO UNDERSTAND IT IS A TIGHT JOB MARKET, EMPLOYERS ARE MOST CONCERND WITH THEIR ISSUES, NOT MINE..AND I GOTTA PRAY FOR WILLINGNESS TO KEEP PERSUING ALL OPTIONS, EACH DAY..

ALSO I AM REDEFINING WORK, I MEAN IT IS VARIED..

LOVE

Posted: February 18, 2014, 12:53 PM
Joe, hows it going in ur employment search. ONE THING I DIDN'T MENTION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE,

You did not pick up, it seems like it wasn't even part of it. I COMMEND YOU ON THAT, cause if you were looking for an excuse to use (I know any will suffice) you could easily have convinced urself u had one. YOU DID GOOD.

HARRY

--------------------

Posted: February 18, 2014, 4:56 PM
Monster.com is a joke. I used it for the two years I couldn't find work and never heard back from one job. I finally found a job on Craigs list. Two as a matter of fact. My husband found a new job there too. Check it out.

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:02 PM
Joe not sure what type of Work your looking for. There are a few suggestions. Unemployment office should have computers as well as counselors. The newspapers. Networking--Lots of people--job fairs--business of commerce --they may help--Networking with friends--and definitely recruiters--

Update your resume and good things will happen.

Hang in there Joe

Jeffrey

--------------------
It is Just Not worth it.

"Inside every older person is a younger person
wondering what the puck happened."

One Day At A Time

Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:03 AM
If u really get desperate (and I don't recommend this at all, except for maybe a fill in temporary job at most) the roofing season is kicking in and u can get a job as a laborer for about $7.00 to $8.00 an hour.

You write & communicate well, have you ever thought about sales where u can make OK to real good money. Car sales (not the best sales opportunity, but can be OK to good) positions are available a lot and many places want, or are at least willing to take, people with no sales background. At a minimum u get paid $300 a week or more and have the opportunity to make decent, even good money.

--------------------

Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:41 AM
U are a true inspiration and always get my mind thinking. Thanks so much for your words of wisdom.

Bec
post replypost new topic