< prev  post replypost new topic
Today Is My Day One

Posted: January 2, 2015, 12:39 PM
Hi Koby. 3 days is great! better than 3 days drinking so be proud of your accomplishments. AA has a lot of positive tools to help us stay sober. please remember the AA program is not just the people who attend.it is a variety of tools, support and a guide to living sober. we must remember that everyone we meet at AA meetings are recovering drunks just like we are.we are all learning and growing in our own way. it doen't matter how long a period of sobriety a person has we all have just one day at a time. some talk the talk others walk it. you are worth giving it a chance. it may be the beginning of a new start in a new year for you... keep coming back...

--------------------
Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need
kobykat

Posted: January 3, 2015, 12:14 AM
Hello all. Please look at my recent post in the other addictions forum.
I'm doing ok, but I'm having other issues besides just drinking.
I'm afraid I will not be able to pull myself out of this terrible situation.

Its been and will be a big setback to me, if I don't get this under control.
Not making excuses at all, just telling you I can't deal anymore with this, while I'm trying to work on my own recovery. Its going to take a miracle, at least.

Can anyone help me here? Direct me to some site, help, etc? For me? For him? He doesn't think he has a problem. I can't go anywhere else to live now. Any thoughts, advice, directions would be great. I feel and know my own recovery is going to be in trouble, if I can't figure this one out.

Its too damn hard to live this way. I'm about done in. Even with all my support systems I have in place now, this is just one I can't deal with right about now. Its been a real setback to me in my recovery in the past, as well.

Thank you.

Posted: January 3, 2015, 7:52 AM
http://hoardingcleanup.com/hoarding...g_support_group

--------------------

Posted: January 3, 2015, 10:56 AM
I have found the answer for literally all my "ISMs"" in the 12 Steps of AA.
The message of complete recovery is in the last sentence of the first paragraph of AA's HOW IT WORKS.
Here is that first paragraph which is found on page 85 of The Big Book:

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.
Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of be­ing honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasp­ing and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average.
There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

All the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

Free copy of NA's Big Book on-line:
Copy & Paste coastalcarolinaarea.org/literature/books/b_t.pdf

AA's HOW IT WORKS:
Copy & paste www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-10_howitworks.pdf

NA's HOW IT WORKS:
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spa...0it%20Works.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

... I need AA more than it needs me.

--- I fight recovery tooth and nail....
I'm not used to being sane, it just doesn't seem natural.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Some think that 2+2=5 and believe it.
Some know that 2+2=4 and can't stand it.

--- I didn't have a very happy childhood
but I sure am having a long one !

---Dry since 1989
working daily on getting/staying SOBER.

---If you want to drink, that's your business
...If you want to quit, that's AA's business.

... Tell me, I'll forget;
... Show me, I'll remember;
... Engage me, I'll understand.

---Most problems are psychological.
Most solutions are spiritual .

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

WWBWD (What Would Bill W. Do)
kobykat

Posted: January 3, 2015, 4:22 PM
Thanks pirate for the link, and thanks Papa bear for the advice.
I'm reading up as much as I can about this horrible addiction.

Not many people want to talk about it, but it isn't that uncommen at all, from what I'm learning.
All I know is that its very hard to live with someone like that, when you are not. I guess the same can be said for any addiction.

Thanks for the help.

Posted: March 6, 2015, 4:51 AM
Hi there kobykat, you can try to search some treatment program on the internet.

Posted: March 28, 2015, 3:57 PM
Hi. Today is my day 2, I relapsed after 5 years, can you believe it? I've never posted on this topic because alcohol was never my DOC. My DOC was (is) opiates, pain pills. I'm afraid to buy them from a dealer and I couldn't afford them anyway, and I'm afraid to try heroin. Alcohol has always been my drug of last resort. I tried AA but found that NA was a better fit for me. It helps if you actually attend the meetings, I know.
Nobody knows about my relapse except my husband, and he is threatening to leave me if I don't stop drinking. I also have bipolar depression, which of course is no excuse, but it doesn't help either. I feel like I've ruined my life sometimes. Because of my hospitalizations, we are always in debt, and no matter how badly I need to be hospitalized for a few days to get my meds regulated, my husband refuses to allow it. (I'm on psychiatric disability an he holds the purse strings).
I know it probably sounds like I'm whining, but I'm desperate. Actually I feel a little better just venting. Thanks for listening.

Posted: March 28, 2015, 5:08 PM
My recovery began in 1989 in a spiritually based recovery home run by a priest.
I had been on booze and assorted drugs (Lithium, Valium etc) for over 25 years.

All our drugs were taken away and for the next 90 days we attended meetings and groups daily.
After the 90 days I went right into AA/NA and committed to The 12 Steps.

I haven't had a drink/drug since then.

I am so glad they MADE me begin to recover instead of continuing to run/hide.

It hasn't been easy but it continues to get better as time goes along, just like they said it would.

I wish you the best.

Bob R

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

Free copy of AA's Big Book on-line: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoh...olics-anonymous

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

--- driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity.

---there are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

...... According to the great spiritual teachers, ignorance does not result from what we don’t know; ignorance results from what we think we do know.

---Dry since 1989

"If we try to change our ego with the help of our ego, we only have a better-disguised ego."
--Richard Rohr

Posted: March 30, 2015, 8:02 PM
Thank you Bob. I actually do feel a little better on day 3. When I first got clean in a rehab center, I was sober for 17 years. It only goes to show that if you don't do the legwork, everything you've accomplished can all be taken away from you. I intend to go to my home group which meets on Tues nights, and--if I can get up the nerve--confess to them. I feel like such a jerk letting them bring me balloons, cakes, and cards for my 5 year anniversary, knowing I was lying to them.
: : smile : : Come to think of it, most of them have probably already guessed what has happened. The last person we are able to fool is ourselves, I guess. I know they'll be supportive, it is just my silly pride getting in the way of my asking for help.
Oh well. There's saying in the rooms, ''You can't save your a** and your face at the same time.''

Posted: March 30, 2015, 9:40 PM
Vickie:
Go to your meeting "hat in hand". Confession is good for the soul.
You'll feel like your home again in about 10 mins after you step through the door.

All the best.

Bob

--------------------
Serenity Prayer

AA's HOW IT WORKS:

NA's HOW IT WORKS:

---Dry since 1989

--Richard Rohr

Posted: March 30, 2015, 9:54 PM
Welcome!

Posted: April 13, 2015, 2:22 PM
Thanks Bob. As I sat in the meeting, I recalled how in the past, we greeted fellow relapsers like lost sheep come home, never with accusations. I am feeling much better now. Even the depression has lifted somewhat. I realize that I'll probably need to be on some medication for the rest of my life, and I've accepted that. because the alternation is unthinkable. I've also realized that just because we have a relapse, we don't automatically lose all the wisdom and insights we've gained in the rooms over the years. We can still be of help to others who struggle with the issues we deal with, and like they say, we have to give it away if we want to keep it. : )

Posted: April 13, 2015, 5:29 PM
welcome back Vicki.. glad to know you are doing better. Recovery is a journey not a destination therefore all our experiences we can learn and grow from. keep coming back and share your ESH I am sure your wisdom and insight will be helpful to others....... God bless and take care

--------------------
post replypost new topic