post replypost new topic
A Different Approach

Posted: August 14, 2015, 1:19 PM
Hi
My daughter struggles with on and off back pain an opiate addiction. She dropped out of high school, and although she is highly intelligent, she is going no-where in her life. When she was doing a bit better, she dreamed of going to University and studying botany. One of her big barriers to recovery is her lack of friends, and her contacts are all drug related.
Now, based on some of the newer philosphies out there, social inclusion is one of the most important features of recovery. So my question is: Instead of waiting for herself to quit using substances, do you think she could just carry on with her plans to move on with her life, despite her habit, and perhaps once she is in school, she will make better connections, and become more involved in academics, and her drug use may become less important?

Posted: August 14, 2015, 1:42 PM
I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HER TO TAKE CARE OF HER ADDICTION BEFORE SHE TAKES ON THE LOAD OF GOING TO COLLEGE, MIGHT MAKE HER USE MORE. HAVE YOU A TRIED NA, THATS ALSO SOCIAL INTERACTION. GOOD LUCK AND HUGS

MARIA

Posted: August 15, 2015, 12:18 AM
I guess my question would be do you have to pay for college? If her tuition is free, she could try. Then, if she finds it's not working out, she could take a break and you wouldn't be out a tremendous amount of money. She would probably need to be honest about her addiction with the academic board to avoid problems. They usually make allowances for medical leave.
If she doesn't want anyone to know, she should take care of it first. Addiction has a nasty and unpredictable way of making itself known. The disease is one of isolation. If she is isolating at home, she'll isolate in college. I tried many 'geographical' cures in my addiction. But they never worked because I took myself and I was the problem. It's also very hard to retain information (study) when under the influence.

Just my humble opinion.

--------------------
" Many times I sought the lighthouse
The familiar beam in the dark
Looking for the comfort
Radiating from its spark;
Today I turn that inward
No longer am I the seeker
I am not just the lighthouse
I am the light -
And lighthouse keeper. "

Posted: August 15, 2015, 4:34 AM
Addiction seems to be a very strong and invisible type monster, it sneaks up and you are under its control before you know what has happened.

I know the very first thing in my head when I woke up was I need another pill. I couldn't function until I had it. I was so unaware of what was happening.

I think you should focus on getting her clean so that she can focus on college. Since college is not a walk in the park, having two monkeys to deal with will make it worse. (My opinion)

Warm wishes.

Crutches

Posted: August 20, 2015, 3:51 PM
Hi Billy, unfortunately I don't think she stands a chance in any arena while battling opiates, although I do understand your thinking and it's a valid idea with her circumstances. As a father of teenage girls myself, I feel your pain and frustration and can empathize with what feels like a one-way dead end street. Good news is, once she cleans up, sky's the limit. At her age, she has plenty of time to re-invent herself and perfect herself in her own unique way. This is far from over if she wills it and gets some help. I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."
post replypost new topic