post replypost new topic
Prednisone (oral Steroid)

Posted: April 17, 2011, 5:30 PM
Been taking Prednisone (oral steroid) for my emphysema/cough variant asthma/whatever, they're not sure yet exactly what to diagnose what I've had off and on but mostly on since October. Will do a pulmonary function test soon to determine that. But anyway, had gone thru 1 or 2 bouts of cipro, Z pack, amoxicillin, nothing would knock this thing out.

So Prednisone was prescribed by my lung doctor, 20 mg once a day for 10 days & also Biaxin. Took my 10th pill of prednisone today.

It kicked my lungs butt (in a great way), no more inflammation, much much better, a real miracle. Told doc I will not take this long-term. Have heard and read about the horrible side effects of long-term use & as of now, I don't need it like that (thank God).

I was prescribed this Prednisone before when I went to the E.R. with horrible hives & I don't remember what dosage it was but it was short-term and I was flying as high as a kite. Zipping around with waaaayyy too much energy.

I hadn't noticed that this time until today -- my last pill. Good grief, I have organized my entire house today! I'm frustrated because there is nothing else to organize except the garage & it's too hot out there.

I am a little weirded out that this kind of nervous but joyful energy is just now happening. Why the 10th day? And I am a little weirded out that he did not have me taper at all. Just take the 10 pills for 10 days & stop. I remember tapering before and actually having a bad crash anyway.

So can I expect a crash in the next few days?

Anybody have any clues? Any nurses here? I guess doc knows what he is doing. I will have to just go with it whatever happens but I was just curious what other people's experiences have been.

--------------------
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

I am a recovering codependent, and mother of a recently relapsed drug and alcohol addicted (20 year addiction) adult daughter.

Thinking we are in control of anything or anyone else but ourselves is an illusion. And actually we have very little control over what happens to us as well. What will happen will happen. So let go & let God. This is my path to serenity. What happens if we just let go of what we "think" we are controlling? The world keeps on turning and life goes on. I trust that the Lord Jesus will bring me through what He brings me to.

Take what you need & leave the rest.

I sometimes have bad days. That's ok, I used to have bad years.

The Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: April 17, 2011, 6:42 PM
Joyful, nervous energy.
Be careful. I might have described what I did that way once.
I really don't know anything about prednisone.
Do you smoke?
xxxoooo

--------------------
Love,
Kat

God determines who walks into your life; it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Posted: April 17, 2011, 6:51 PM
Carole, maybe you're just feeling better :) I mean, you can breathe again...having more oxygen can also account for those great feelings.

I have never had any sort of response like the one you describe from prednisone and I go on it at least twoce a year for poison ivy. I do get bloated, but that's really it.

Posted: April 17, 2011, 7:54 PM
No I have never smoked. I'd probably be dead if I did, I am so allergic to it (& everything else).

What dose were you on M&M & for how long at a time?
I'd like to think it is the oxygen for the good feelings but I know from taking this before that this energy is just way too high. It's like I want to do a million things at once (& do.) Man I got a lot done today. I imagine in the next few days it will start wearing off & I'll notice it.

Bloating is certainly not something I want or need! = (

Thanks for the input.

--------------------
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

I am a recovering codependent, and mother of a recently relapsed drug and alcohol addicted (20 year addiction) adult daughter.

Thinking we are in control of anything or anyone else but ourselves is an illusion. And actually we have very little control over what happens to us as well. What will happen will happen. So let go & let God. This is my path to serenity. What happens if we just let go of what we "think" we are controlling? The world keeps on turning and life goes on. I trust that the Lord Jesus will bring me through what He brings me to.

The Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: April 17, 2011, 8:00 PM
when I was in Fla this year i had a reaction to something and the dermatologist put me on 20mgx4, then down to 60, 40 then 20 I always feel jiffy on prednisone and also eat like a horse! but I like the feeling of energy..i thought you dosed down like medrol dosepak but im sure your doc has reasons, must be great feeling better, hope it also helped the cough

Posted: April 17, 2011, 8:15 PM
Same dose as momg...glad I didn't know about hose side effects...I'd be eating it like candy.

Posted: April 17, 2011, 8:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll let ya know how it goes.

--------------------

The Serenity Prayer:

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: April 18, 2011, 4:47 AM
LAC glad to hear you're feeling better and your house is clean:)

Scary, right?

Never been on it, but I can relay to you something many years ago made us laugh, but wasn't funny. I was young and had this boyfriend. I was maybe 18. His mom was a riot. Dear, funny lady. She had ulcerative colitis and some other things. What's that one really bad intestinal thing where they remove part of your intestines?

Anyway she was hospitalized and we go to see her and she's buzzing like a bee asking me to get her out of the bed. I obeyed adults and was going to. Lady had a bag and all. She goes "Well, I could have cleaned this whole hospital last night and then went to the laundry room and helped out".

Yup, prednisone. First I ever heard of it.

So you're not alone and no DR. am I, but I'd guess Day 10 it took that long to get in your system.

Hope you're O.K. and they find out what the heck it is.

Cool your jets:)

Posted: April 18, 2011, 6:26 AM
That's a sad story for her but pretty funny. I know exactly how she felt.

By the way, if anyone is troubled with allergies, Allegra works great (for me) & it's OTC now. CVS had it on sale recently for $18. Worth every penny. I've tried all those allergy medications too.... Claritan, Zyrtec, you name it. Lung doc also told me it is the best.

--------------------

The Serenity Prayer:

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: April 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm frustrated because there is nothing else to organize except the garage

I will send you my address. It isn't hot here and I have plenty of things that could use organized/thrown out/you name it.

--------------------
You can get busy living. Or get busy dying.

I define comfort as self-acceptance. When we finally learn that self-care begins and ends with ourselves, we no longer demand sustenance and happiness from others.
Jennifer Louden

There are no excuses, just people with excuses.

LINK: Posts about understanding and healing.

A fool learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. However, a brilliant man learns from what has been done right, and what others have done right, and avoids mistakes.

Posted: April 18, 2011, 4:56 PM
OK but I don't work cheap. = )

--------------------

The Serenity Prayer:

Jesus loves us.

LAFFStore

Posted: April 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
Have been on prednisone a few times, also for asthma/bronchitis bouts. I'm a little surprised you did not taper off, which I understand is the usual procedure. Perhaps the dosage is not too high for your present condition. wouldn't hurt to call the Dr and ask what to expect from here on.
It sure is a wonder drug, though, makes your breathing so much easier. I found I didn't sleep very much, but had energy galore. Yep, cleaned house, inside and out, windows gleamed.
Glad you're feeling better tho, but do check & see what the Dr. recommends.

rita
PS don't get too much sun while on it, makes a person susceptible to sunburn, and in your climate, almost impossible to avoid the sun.

Posted: October 26, 2014, 2:32 PM
your article is as astounding. The clearness in your publish is simply great

--------------------
192.168.l.l
post replypost new topic