next >  post replypost new topic
Suboxone As A Pain Killer??

Posted: January 29, 2007, 5:44 PM
Hey all,

I am curious if anyone has any knowledge of Suboxone being used as a pain killer. I have been on 16 MG now for about 6 weeks. I was under the impression that Suboxone had very little to NO use as a pain killer, but I have to wonder now that I am on it. I have bad knees (not real bad these days, had re-construction on one a few years ago) and a wrist problem called 'slack wrist' (no comments....) in my left wrist.

Neither one of which warrant the level of Norco I was taking, but I am noticing that neither seem to hurt anywhere near as much as they did even at my highest hydrocodone use.

I know that just a general overall well being from recovery will help with the pain, and maybe that's what's happening, but I realized today that I don't hurt.......

Anyone else have any similar experience, or actually take Suboxone for pain?

peaceout

--------------------
user posted image

Posted: January 30, 2007, 12:50 AM
I was taking 25-30 fioricet with codeine a day for four years. It all started because of the severe pain I had in my upper shoulders and neck. The entire time I was using, I never felt any better - the pain was just masked. Two days after I started on suboxone, I felt great. A little muscle soreness and tightness but no pain whatsoever. I'm not sure whether the subs are helping me with the pain or maybe somewhere in those 4 years the pain went away and I didn't realize it. All I know is that now, for the first time in years, I can take an Advil and get relief. I've heard people have used sub for pain relief so maybe that's what it's doing for us?

Posted: January 30, 2007, 6:59 AM
Sub (Buprenorphine) is prescribed under other drug names such as Norspan and temgesic, in lower doses, to treat moderate to severe pain.

so the answer is yes, it can be prescribed to treat pain and when you take it as part of a detox/maintenance regime - pain relief is a pleasant side effect.

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here

Posted: January 30, 2007, 8:32 AM
Silent Partner, I have read what you wrote before, but I don't think it has been approved for pain in the US. Doctors here will off-label it, but I am not sure it was approved. I could be wrong.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com

Posted: January 30, 2007, 1:45 PM
I know it is a partial opiate agonist, which means that it does have opiate effects (obviously). According to RX list, it is available in IV form and is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Unlike other opiates, buprenorphine has a "ceiling" - which means that it doesn't have any more therapeutic effect after a certain dose, and you just get the adverse effects. So, it looks like it is also used as a pain medication in certain circumstances. I imagine that it is not used that often, given its limited receptor binding (thus, limited desired effect... and I mean desired in the clinical, pain relief way) and its ceiling. But who knows... Hope that was helpful.

SP

--------------------
"Are you a real doctor, or a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a Doctor?
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

:: soulpicnic@hotmail.com::

Posted: January 30, 2007, 6:33 PM
I have used it on more than one occasion for pain. Operation and arthritis flair.

This past time i noticed it did not work like it used to. I Guss I built a resistance??

I am off the stuff. The pain comes and goes but its weeks like this where i suffer a bit more due to cold weather.

But i deal with it.

Jeff

--------------------
JUST SAY NO

Posted: April 5, 2007, 6:12 PM
Yes, my doctor prescribed suboxone for pain.
john

Posted: April 8, 2007, 3:15 PM
bupe is definitely a pain killer. just stop taking it if you want to feel pain again. otherwise it would be useless for withdrawl or maintainance. It is an opiod, hence its prime function masking pain and causing pleasure.

Posted: April 8, 2007, 6:04 PM
John...causing pleasure? No I disagree, respectfully...no pleasure from suboxone. Yes it has painkilling properties as well as AntiDepressant properties.

I honestly can say I have never got "pleasure" from it. No way....relief from all my drug seeking behaviours...yes.

--------------------
LIVE....LAUGH...LOVE...LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!!

Posted: August 19, 2009, 1:38 PM
It actually is now being used for some types of pain. I think it works rather well for low back pain myself.

--------------------
--
http://www.getoffvicodin.net
--

Posted: August 20, 2009, 1:42 PM
Suboxone is used for pain in certain circumstances- usually the dosing is very small and is done every four hours. It is the agonist/antagonist ability Suboxone carries that gives it the ability to do all that it does.
Hell fire

Posted: February 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
I had two spinal fusion surgeries before the age of 21 and have been treated in a pain management setting in the three years since, so I know all about pain and pain meds. I have been prescribed everything from NSAIDS to oxycontin and everything in-between. Currently I take 140 mg/day of oxycodone in the form of percocet and roxycodone. Every month I deter from taking my pain meds for about two weeks to take suboxone in its place (not under Dr. supervision). After a couple of days of getting used to the subs, it works on pain almost as well as the pure opiates do. I have never heard of suboxone being prescribed for anything but opiate dependence, but I can say with all certainty it must have some pain killing properties.
RSD sufferer

Posted: July 21, 2012, 12:19 AM
i bought sub illegally for pain and it worked. it mostly worked on my headache that for me is the worse part of my condition, which is probably due from taking the edge from the pain in my feet and hands and general body fatigue. a friend of my also got pain relief from it, but he was taking it for addiction and also suffer from shoulder pain. another friend told me that if her insurance would not cover her oxy script (15mg. x 8) daily, that her Dr. might have to switch her to sub. also hear it works well on nerve pain which i suffer from. but remember everybody reacts to meds differently. sincerely, chronic regional pain syndrome sufferer.

Posted: September 15, 2012, 3:39 PM
Hi-I know it's been a while since anyone's posted in this area, but I wanted to make a comment regardless.

I'm a long time painkiller abuser who's now been on Suboxone for several years. I'm also studying to become a certified alcohol and drug counselor. Here's the thing about Suboxone and pain that I learned in my pharmacology class:

When you are taking opiate medication for pain, your tolerance for pain actually goes DOWN. If you're taking a LOT of opiates or if you're abusing them, your pain tolerance goes REALLY DOWN. Down to the point where if you get a hangnail it really does feel like the world is going to end (and therefore necessitates taking a pain pill). It turns into a downward spiral-you feel more pain, so you get prescribed more painkillers (or just end up taking more), which works for a while until you build a tolerance to that level and then are in pain again and need more meds,...

So, when you get sick and tired of all this and decide to go on suboxone, what happens is that once the opiates get out of your system, your body's natural ability to tolerate pain comes back. I work with a client who had tons of pain (she had to have part of her lung removed, and they had to crack her ribs open to do so) and due to complications, she was told that she would be dealing with pain for probably the rest of her life. She went from taking her medication, to taking more of it, to abusing it, buying more off the street, and finally to heroin to deal with her pain (and by this point, her addiction too). She went off all of that and started taking Suboxone about two weeks ago. Now, she still has a lot of pain in the morning, so she takes a Suboxone then, but from there, she has reported being nearly pain free for the entire day, often not even needing her 2nd Suboxone dose. And this is only after 2 weeks!

So yes, Suboxone is also prescribed for pain. I once had to have surgery, none of the doctors knew about Suboxone and ended up prescribing me percosets, and they did nothing, even after the 5 day half life of Suboxone had gone. In fact, they were causing me to go into withdrawals every time I took them. I was hesitant to go back to Suboxone because it's not as strong of a painkiller, but I did and I was instantly in much less pain.

If it's just for pain, they might prescribe you just bupenorphine (Suboxone is bupenorphine + naloxone); it comes under the name Subutex. The only place I've ever bought temgesics was in Tijuana.

Once you get off all the opiate medication you're taking, if you do go on Suboxone, it's usually a pretty effective painkiller.

Posted: September 15, 2012, 3:42 PM
I forgot to also say that this is not an isolated incident. I've seen people who've been suffering from really painful things-everything from fibromyalgia to lupus-and everyone has felt better with Suboxone than all of the pain meds they were previously taking.
Cyclicguy

Posted: December 17, 2012, 3:16 PM
I had several suboxone tabs someone had given me and recently, after running out of percocets, I took one for withdrawal relief. I was amazed that not only did my chronic back and neck pain go away I also no longer felt the pain from little injuries that usually nags me constantly. Also I seemed to get some mood elevation (most likely form having zero pain?). The relief lasted the entire day, from one tablet, 4-6 mg's I think. I have since used them 4 times and the results are always the same. When I go back to the pain clinic I am going to ask for suboxone instead of the percocets. It's great to only have to take one pill a day and be pain free!

Posted: December 23, 2012, 3:07 AM
Im on subs for addiction reasons. Thankfully ive been on it for 70 days. It does have a pain kilker as metioned above. If you took a large orange pill, they are 8 mgs. You can always break the pill up into 4 quarters to help u thro out the day. A common side effect is horrible headaches. But i take ib or ty for it. Just make sure anybody taking ut, is getting it from a doc. There are so many things that a patient needs to be aware of while taking this. Even tho its killing pain, go to a doc and make sure he educates u on subs. Please.

Posted: December 23, 2012, 3:12 AM
And be careful if u take it while expercing withdraws!!!! You have to b in a certain point of your wd to take it!!! If not. Good Lord will it send you into the worst withdraw of your life. Yet, anthor reason to be educated.
Johnny B

Posted: December 25, 2012, 12:59 AM
Started Subutex very early Monday AM. I thought I was over the oxy w/d's as I have going back and forth oxy and methadone. Not on methadone long, less than 6 weeks, but on oxy 3 years increasing upto 300 mg per day Point is I believe I should have waited longerto take the Suboxone but it seemed like the W/Ds from the other stuff were gone 2 days oxy free and 4 days minimal methadone free 15mg or so. Its 24 hours later now and dont feel too sick anymore, will this crappy feeling go away and the Sub start working? Guess time will tell sorry about the horrific typing i,m tempted to pop an 80 but what the bleep that would defeat the purpose at a minimum. fucn dope cut my net worth in half over the past 3 years and is robbing me of q time with the kids etc etc etc sorry do not feel real well right now hopefully make more sense tomorrow Any advice other that typing lessons?
Johnny B

Posted: December 25, 2012, 1:13 AM
Merry Christmas!!
post replypost new topic