post replypost new topic
Homeless Shelter Won't Let People Stay On Methadon
Hillbilly

Posted: February 5, 2017, 2:08 PM
I have been in the methadone program for 8 years. I was a hard core addict to opiates/heroin for many years. I tried every program, but nothing worked. I was sentenced to 3 years in prison, served 18 months. Got out, worse than ever. I finally tried methadone and got in recovery for the first time ever.

I've been with my husband since I was 16 years old
We got clean together and finally had a wonderful life for 5 years. Great jobs, bought a beautiful home, everything was AWESOME. Then, he left the clinic. His parents pushed and pushed until he gave in, but of course, he really wanted to, and what a convenient excuss- to blame mommy and daddy. He relapsed hard, and now life is hell. Im back to dealing with junkie business without even getting high.He's taking nerve pills now, too, and passing out in his food, stealing our money, selling s***. I'm about to lose my mind.

He lost his job at the beginning of all this, the place shut down. I've been hiding it all, of course, god damn codependency queen that I am. Until today. He went to MY job and took a bunch of stuff that contractors had stored there. He tries to tell me it was in the Garbage, and I freaked and made him take it back. Not sure what's going to happen, but any way I lose. I have to get away.

I have no car, and the only people I can stay with live 20+ miles from my job. I call the homeless shelter, which is close to my job. The woman literally says ,"if you're on methadone, you're not clean" and that I can't stay there! I'm locked in the bathroom crying. I don't know what else to do.

I

Posted: February 6, 2017, 10:57 AM
look for sober living home. don't give up. keep asking for temporary help and keep trying. call again to the shelter or go there. explain you need place to sleep so you can go to job. etc

Posted: February 6, 2017, 11:14 AM
Hey...I'm so sorry your facing hard times ...it sucks more than words to hear people say that your not clean...I get it...was on 9 years...it saved my life and It kept me off the dope...as far as I was concerned. ..i was finally...finally able to stay clean after many years of trying ....so..do you have to tell them your on methadone? ...possibly check out a different shelter...and leave that out...what time do you have to pick your dose up ? Is there not a time there that everyone has to be out in morning anyways ? You won't leave anything there I'm guessing. ..NY also has good idea...see if you can get in a sober house...or checking out the battered woman's shelter...breathe ...your going to be ok....it's overwhelming I know....talk to the street...people might know more...one hour at a time...addiction sucks...junkie life is hard...you've done this before strung out...you can find the way again clean....give yourself a hug....take it slow....your gonna have to let your partner go for awhile. ..take care of you first...you can also walk into any aa or na mtgs and ask there...sending you courage. ..

Con

Posted: February 6, 2017, 12:44 PM
I would do as Con suggested Google nearest NA or AA meeting and go there explain and ask for help! I believe you are going to just fine, you menage until now for years to stay clean .. just go and get them to help you

Posted: February 7, 2017, 2:03 AM
Wow! You're plate is full! The very first thing to do is take care of yourself. You said you have been able to maintain recovery for years...continue on your methadone!!! Do not let narrow-minded people say you aren't clean! Addiction has very little to do with the substance we use and everything to do with the behaviors we exhibit when we are using and how we feel about ourselves.

It really creams my corn when people are strong-armed into getting off of the medication that is helping them. With No other illness would people find this acceptable!

I would definitely call another shelter. Do NOT disclose the methadone unless asked. I find it criminal that addicts are forced to lie about how methadone has been a vital tool for there recovery! It sucks and if it doesn't change, more people are going to die!

Anyway, definitely call around to different places. I have never heard of a sober living facility taking those on medication assisted treatment, but maybe some do.

I would go to your methadone clinic and speak with your counselor or the director (I am assuming you are in the u.s..I'm not sure how exactly methadone programs work abroad). People who work with the addicted population who utilize medication are probably "in the know" about places that are supportive of those on medicated-assisted treatment.

Don't give up hope and don't feel forced to abandone the treatment that works for you! Many people here use medication-assisted treatment (myself included) and have found it a vital tool in our recovery toolbox! It is wonderful that you are putting yourself and your recovery first!

Sending you all the good vibes I can muster!!!!! :)
Overfifty

Posted: February 11, 2017, 11:40 AM
Did you find shelter? Your story moved me beyond words. Homeless shelters shouldn't turn you away because your on methadone. Our town homeless shelter does urinalysis on everyone before they can stay. You must be free of all substances. It's a changing world. I hope your safe and with shelter.
post replypost new topic