post replypost new topic
Get Off Methadone
Kim

Posted: June 10, 2016, 6:31 PM
Been tapering off Methadone and I'm down to 30mg.Cause of family circumstances I feel the need to get off of it soon as possible. Helping to care for my father who has cancer and lives couple of hrs away. I don't always know very far ahead of time when I'm needed.
Problem is, I'm chained to the clinic every day. Can get courtesy dosing at clinic near my Dad if I have a week notice only. I don't have regular take homes (long story).
Considering going to a rehab place to withdraw from the Methadone. Heard some will take you if you're at 30 mg or less. Kinda scared though.
Talked to a doctor once about switching to Suboxone so I wouldn't have to go to clinic every day but he told me there were other drawbacks and that it wasn't ideal for me since I'm likely always going to have to be on a small amount of opiate for chronic pain.
Anyone have any suggestions or feedback?
Arahant

Posted: June 11, 2016, 1:22 PM
Hey there,

I'm not an expert, but I will give some feedback from another methadone patient and 10+ years of opiate addiction.

30mg is still fairly high to come off of I think, it really depends on a bunch of factors. Some of the factors that will determine how bad the withdrawals will be, are how long you have been using for, both in terms of since you started using opiates in your life, and since the last time you've been clean. Also how much your using, in this case 30mg, but if you've been tapering fairly quickly your highest recent dose will be a factor, as it takes awhile(for me 3-6+ months) for your body to completely normalize even after your clean, and its the same for tapering.

Another thing is, and I don't have personal experience with this but I'v heard it from many people, methadone is one of the worst opiates to withdrawal from, I don't know 100% why but I believe it has to do with how long it stays in your system. Opiates that have a short half-life are generally much easier to withdraw from.

That all said, many people have gone cold turkey from methadone, including from doses much higher then yours, so its absolutely not impossible, it will come down to willpower.

I personally have been tapering aswell, I'v been reducing by about 15% every 2 weeks without much problem. I'm down to 17mg now and plan to switch over to Kratom when i get to 10mg ish.

Kratom is a legal herb(atleast where i'm from, it is in most of the world) that acts like an opiate(but chemically it is not an opiate, IE it doesn't show up on urine tests), its short acting making it very good for coming off other opiates, and its pretty cheap. As with any opiate there is some addiction potential, but in my experience its alot less then traditional opiates(there is a ceiling for most people where over a certain doses you get vertigo and its no fun, so you usually can't just keep upping your dose when you build a tolerance, unlike normal opiates). Anyways, the thread wasn't meant to be about kratom, if your interested you can research it, I'm mentioning it because thats what I'm going to do and maby you or someone else can get some benefit from it.

I think you should taper your dose some more, the farther down you get the less severe your symptoms will be. You need to realize if you get fed up and go cold turkey, and suffer for a week before eventually caving due to how bad it is, thats going to take a toll on you, and its going to make it harder to eventually go cold turkey down the road, atleast in my experience, it wears you down. So i think its better to save your strength for when you have the best possible chance to make it through it. Sorry for long reply, I wish you the best of luck.

Posted: June 11, 2016, 7:03 PM
hello , i recently came off of methadone , im now day 43 , and i tapered all the way down to 7.5mgs , and it wasnt as bad as i thought, but not everyone gets the same wds, i was on it for 8 years , never higher then 25mgs, but it is very do able, just do some reading , i wouldnt recommend the kratom, as it comes with its own price, it is a natural opiate, and your just trading one for another, it too has wds, so your just prolonging the situation. everyday i feel more and more like a new person, and yes methadone has a longer half life so it takes a bit longer, but as most will tell you it comes down to how bad you want to be clean, and off it.

i made the choice and never looked back , yes a week in i doubted myself, but thru support which is very key, i made it , and plan to keep making it day by day.

Posted: June 13, 2016, 11:22 AM
Hey! I also recently came off methadone. I'm 33 days off now. Honestly, I can't believe how easy is was. I was on 95 mg at the max but for the majority of the 5.5 years at the clinic, I was at 65mgs. I started tapering seriously about a year ago and got down to 1 mg before leaving. The worst for me was going from 6mgs to 5mgs for some reason. I was reading awful stories online and was so scared about coming off but I did it anyway and it wasn't bad at all (I know coming down to 1 mg helped A LOT) I had about a week of chills and the s***s for like 2 days but I was still able to function, go to work, play with my kid etc. I feel back to normal now and have for a couple weeks. I did get a rx for cholondine (sp) from my dr and that helped that first week with the chills and I still take Tylenol pm to sleep every night (i did that while on methadone too). If you don't have time to slowly taper down to 1 mg at the clinic, Kratom might be helpful to you. Read up on it though. There is definitely a chance to get hooked on that too. I've read some ways to do it for like 2 weeks without getting physically addicted to it. I was going to use that method but it ended up being so easy, i didn't need to.

Posted: August 4, 2016, 12:52 PM
Hey my name is Laura I used to use crack and herion for nearly two years, I met a boyfriend who intreduced me to it BUT I WAS THE ONE THAT DID IT he did t force me to do it, one day I woke up and I just told myself enough is enough I don't want this life it wasn't me ( I nearly lost my family) so I left, it was the most HARDEST thing I'd ever done but I did it. I tried the sub tabs then I tried the meth I was on 70ml now I'm down to 14ml in the space of 5 months and I did that but when I got to 30ml I got dropped 2ml every week so every Wednesday.....
I fort it would me a walk in the park it was at first it truly was but DAM in the end I was wrong since coming down to let's say 20ml I started to feel it ( mostly in my head). Every Wednesday I get dropped another 2ml I feel it more now I'm on 14ml but the first 3 days I feel like SH*T then the rest of the week which is 4 days I start to feel fine then the next thing I know in a blink of an eye it's Wednesday again and I'm down another 2ml. Don't get me wrong I'm so PROUD of myself I truly am. I feel like I don't want to eat I can't be bothered to do anything I just don't have any energy no more. I need help really and found this websit normally I wouldn't do something like this but what do I have to loss..…I JUST WANT TO FEEL ME AGAIN…

Laura xx

Posted: August 15, 2016, 3:50 PM
Hey good luck fist off, hope everything working out for you. I am currently in a detox hospital up over 72 hours and im having very mild symptoms but the team of doctors that came in today to do rounds said i was in for it in about a week!

Great. Fun. BRING IT. I am so ready to get off this s***, BALL AND CHAIN. I mean god forbid something happens to family and i cant leave the radius of the clinic in fear i wouldn't dose!!? Kidding!?

Anyway 45 mg for about 5 months so i might be okay

Laura YES!!! "I JUST WANT TO FEEL ME AGAIN…"

This post has been edited by eatthecrayon on August 15, 2016, 3:52 PM
post replypost new topic