post replypost new topic
Methadone Age 64 Scared To Death To Quit
Sunnie

Posted: June 10, 2016, 3:42 AM
I'm 64 yr old and have been on some sort of pain pill for 35 yrs. before that I was a heroin addict for 2 yrs and quit cold turkey! I didn't discover pain pills until 3 yrs later when I hurt my back and dr. Gave me Vicodin !! There all those feelings came back, so I took those several years then OxyCodone then I became allergic and was in intensive care 3 days with hives all over me then they gave me morphine. A few friends took methadone so I would trade and I loved it.
Long story short I now take methadone pills thru my doc but they are always wanting to lower my dose. It's a big HMO I try to tell them how long it takes to wean off but they don't seem to believe me. I want to quit! Mostly because I have a older son who hated me being On my way! pain pills he bugged me all the time that I didn't need them and I had to quit, he was always mad at me! Oh and I do suffer from degenerative disc deasease and arthritis in my back , worked 25 yrs doing distribution at post office , always worked 6 days a week , finally retired because of the pain 2 yrs ago , anyway I lied to my son and told him I quit ! The quilt is eating me up alive ! I have 3 other kids who all know I still take methadone ,they understand and think there brother should of not made me feel this way ! Now I'm so afraid if I ever get sick and go to hospital he will find out! He's a fireman and use to be a EMT . We live in same town!
So this is my fear, now I've read on here that it could be dangerous for me at my age and all the brain stuff! Hell my brain has not used dopamine right for over 35 yrs ! I've been on methadone for about. 5 to 6 yrs about . I was on 90 mg Then put on 60 but I only take 40 mg now once a day when I wake up. Once in awhile I'll take 20 mg more but seldom! My dr. Won't give me Valium , but I'm about to go on Medicare in November and not sure what will happen then! So any advice u can give this Grandma will help! I do notice I dont remember things like I use to that's scary is it the methadone or age! Hell im not that old but sure feel it when I wake up! I've read about the Thomas Guide to help with withdrawal on a different message board, it's all vitamins to help! IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE TO QUIT AFTER 35 yrs!!! HELP!!
Sunnie!!

Sunnie

Posted: June 10, 2016, 3:50 AM
Me again I forgot to say I feel horrible lying to my son! I love him so much!! Afraid he would never talk to me again! This is the biggest reason I want to quit! Plus methadone put so much weight on me so that's another reason ! I figure I can just live with the pain, is that u realistic? I m so afraid of him finding out and I'm so afraid of withdrawal I've tried once before it was insane ! Heroin was easier than methadone, after 6 mo I felt normal but only 2 weeks really sick about a month restless sleep
Sunnie

Posted: June 29, 2016, 12:01 PM
Hi Sunnie.
I'll jump right to it. If you are doing well on the methadone and the only reason you want to get off of it is to please your son, DONT DO IT.

Its that simple. Your son is obviously an educated man but he needs to educate himself about methadone and how it works. MAT (medication-assisted therapy) has worked for hundreds of thousands of heroin and opioid addicted patients. Unfortunately there still are very educated people out there that still see it as trading one addiction for another. It isn't like that.
In a way that is true, if we don't have our dose for 3 or 4 days we will get sick, but unlike an active addiction, methadone is only taken once a day, where in active addiction, as you know, we need the drug 2,3, 4 times a day at a minimum along with all the other stuff, needles, etc.
People with diabetes who don't take insulin get sick too.
I have been clean 22+ years and for me it was the great decision.

With your history of opiate use you may need or want to stay on it. That is ultimately YOUR decision and detoxing CAN be done. The key is to do it slowly, allowing your body time to catch up to the drop in methadone. Try not to put any time line on when to stop. If you taper do it SLOWLY and take your time. But, if you are not in pain as much then stay on it. If your HMO is pushing you off you can go to a regular methadone clinic and be treated for your pain there. A clinic setting is a bit more restrictive at first because you'd have to dose every day. The clinic I attend treats quite a few opioid addicts, so if your doctor is trying to push you off before you are ready, go and talk to a clinic. Make sure they are an accredited clinic too. Not all clinics are created equal!

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on June 29, 2016, 12:09 PM

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
Dee

Posted: July 4, 2016, 4:13 PM
Thank you so much for your reply ! My pain is pretty bad but I just have a hard time thinking when I'm 80 plus I really don't want to be tied to this , you never know what life has in store for the future and it scares me to be so dependent on this , so I've been taking some medical marijuana edibles and it helped me jump from 4 to 3 it's been a week , but I'm sure my DR will have a fit I'm mixing ! I wish the medical community would catch up to how great edibles and the oil are for pain and withdrawal, I didn't have any effects as of yet from the drop of a whole pill, so I will go slow I'm really scared of being sick so slow and steady , but I'm doing it for me not my son. I'm sure I let him in too much to my life in the past back in the 60's but yes he's not that open to pain meds . It's a long story test I probably am responsible somewhat for his attitude
Thanks again
I will keep listed as I drop down

Posted: July 13, 2016, 9:28 AM
Sunny, I really would think long and hard before you try to get off meth right now..especially for those reasons. The physical, emotional and psychological beating methadone withdrawal puts on you is horrendous...not to mention that the drugs methadone is replacing are going to be right there waiting for you when your feeling like dying..is bad enough when we're young. At a certain age, withdrawal becomes more than just horrible, it's dangerous. My mother started an administrative detox and 5 days in it caused her to stroke out. I myself have started a detox and had to stop for medical reasons. But even if that weren't the primary issue, the odds are that no matter what it is, you're going to be on some form of medication for something....it's really not that much of a difference. If your doing well on the clinic, don't "fix" it if it isn't broken!! Hope this helps!

Posted: July 13, 2016, 9:40 AM
Me again! Lol! I just read what u wrote about the edibles, YES!! My son just turned Me on to them when I was going through interferon riboviron treatment and was almost dead (very literally) I swear , them, along with the dabs, completely saved . My life. I'd go from being in so much pain all I could do was cry, to laughing at cartoons, in minutes! I'd never been into weed,but I can't believe they would deny it as a medicinal aide to anyone, knowing how effective it is!! I hope your doing o.k.if u need anyone to talk to, I'm here. Jody
post replypost new topic