post replypost new topic
Down To 78mgs After 6 Years And Want Off Asap!

Posted: February 3, 2016, 10:53 AM
Hello all! This is my first post but I have been ghosting for a while now. As stated above I've been on methadone for 6 years and am down to 78mgs from 105 at the highest. My wife has supported my choice to get help and get back into life and help her with kids and daily functions, and I haven't felt better these past 6 years not having to worry about my next " dose" or the money it was costing to support it. The methadone is ALOT more affordable and there's no risk of me getting in trouble or hurt getting it. But to my point, she feels and I agree it's time to see about getting off. I was already ahead of the conversation and have been tapering the past year and am currently at the 78mg mark as stated above. But I'm ready, I want off now! I want this done and over with but of course there's the WDs I fear. I see the popular notion here is to ween, and I know why, but if anyone has jumped ship at 80mgs or so after an extended time of use how did it go? What was your main complaint? Previous to methadone when I had to WD it was my legs and lower back that kept me kicking all night and I'd end up sleeping in the tub with warm water and an air pillow. Any responses are appreciated! Thanks!

Posted: February 3, 2016, 2:55 PM
I was on 60mgs/day for over 10 years. When I was cured of Hep C last May I have since then felt better and better. As a result of that I think, my need to dose has dropped a whole lot! I had naturally dropped to only on average 30mg perd day with zero effort or even thought to do it! Of course I have the advantage of self dosing as I do not get my Mdone at a clinic but via RX from the pharmacy. The huge advantage there is I am not left with a once a day opportunity to dose or go without so I have the luxury of waiting until I actually get uncomfortable before I dose. So feeling better, not wanting to be as sleepy I began dosing less often and/or less of a dose than I might otherwise of elected to do. Anyway I just joined this site because I like you want OFF asap!

You can read my posts so far toward the last post on the the thread of Jason. Just several days ago I FINALLY decided to make a REAL attempt at getting off Mdone once and for all! I was only going to drop daily dose by 5mg at a time but I experimented the first day with a divided dose totalling only 20mg, a whole 10mg drop and it was easy! So I kept on doing it another 5 days until yesterday when I felt really good still and decided to drop AGAIN! This time as at the first, my thnking was only a 5mg drop but also as the first time I thought i might just as well experiment and try a whole 10mg drop and if I had to back it down to 5 which would be 15mg/day. But guess what? By dividing a 10mg tablet into quarters (easier said than done!) and only taking a quarter when I REALLY felt like I was close to withdrawl misery, I AGAIN made it through a whole day at ANOTHER 10mg drop which means all day yesterday I ONLY had 10mg of Mdone! AMAZINGLY after a too short of nights sleep (using ambien) I woke up NOT in withdawls but feeling fine save for a headache which I think is my sinus acting up. And SO FAR today? Well I HAVE already taken to quarters/ 5mg so I am not certain I will make it all the way to midnight using only two more quarter pill fragments, But I feel like I might make it! I feel good right now at least! IF I can make till noon before I dose again then MAYBE maybe THAT will take me to 6pm? and if so MAYBE the final quarter will last me to midnight? I mean I am playing this by ear, I am not going to boast...but I feel so far like I CAN be the one in 500 or whatever improbable stat it might be, that DOES the undoable and rapidly weens himself all the way off Mdone! I never have done anything exceptional in my life, so maybe THIS is my hour to finally shine at something? To win me a gold medal as that one amazing guy that quit Mdone "easily" that defied all the statistics??? Well no matter how unlikely, it COULD happen...no?

Posted: February 3, 2016, 3:16 PM
In other words INSTEAD of looking at this from the perspective of the wretched dope addict I have become, I am choosing to look at more as an athletic challenge of mind over body...an unrealistic GOAL like finishing a marathon or winning some against the odds boxing match or something.

Of course I can not claim to know what my state will be even if I am able to ween all the way off in victory. What am I going to FEEL like like afterwards? Would I be able to endure whatever is involved with THAT? I can not honestly boast in these things but I am HOPEFUL and I believe I DO have an "ace in the hole" so to speak. Because my NEW passion is the Bible. Even though I have been some kind of a "christian" since the very early nineties, only in the last couple of years have I REALLY discovered what the Bible is all about. I already learned from certain men that the Bible contains hidden Spiritual truth where the literal is not readily immediately understood by the natural mind. But I have discovered, I believe, that whereas the very same men I heard this from, themselves had no idea yet of the extent of the hidden Spiritual meaning,,that is that from cover to cover the entire Bible is Spiritual with hidden (allegorical) SPIRITUAL meaning that remains UNSEEN and UNKNOWN by the natural "carnal" mind. So THIS I am hoping is my Ace in the Hole...that I have THAT to occupy myself with for it more and more TRULY amazes me beyond ANYTHING I ever fathomed before was possible!

I know this is not the place to delve into about this, and I have no intention of trying to proselytize here...all I am doing is sharing that THIS is where MY OWN personal hope is I do believe ...take it or leave it whoever reads this ...I am no judge...I am like a flea on a dead dog rather than anyone that assert authority over what truly IS Righteous...yet this my testimony, what I see, wherein I DO Hope

Posted: February 3, 2016, 4:59 PM
You know, You gave me a great idea, I have kept my counselor appointments and had clean UAs for a few years so I get 2 weeks worth of take homes at a time. And tapering my self would be a lot better at guaging how I feel. I've just been so straight edge when it comes to the clinic and my dose to stay off their "bad" list, (Those patients never seem to get off of it even when they straighten up) I just never considered it.
Jason

Posted: February 4, 2016, 8:16 AM
Build a strong support group. Work with a GP to be sure you address any depression or mental health issues when getting off such a powerful opiate. Eat right and exercise and get a spiritual life going to help support you also.

There are no short cuts! Tapering is a long, slow, and painful journey. It has been for me! I'm down to 6mg of subutex from 5 years of 140mg dose of methadone. It's been my biggest life fight yet by far.
post replypost new topic