post replypost new topic
Feedback Appreciated....

Posted: April 14, 2015, 11:46 PM
Ive been at a methadone maintance for yrs.. Im on what a lot of people consider a large dose, (190 mgs). Im wanting to get off asap and need any opinion thats the best way.. I know I'm gonna hurt, DTs r expected just as long as its tolerable.. Any advice from methadone patients? Thx

Posted: April 15, 2015, 3:44 PM
#11,
Hi and welcome!! To save me lots of time I am going to suggest you read from the entries of other patients who have wanted to and tried to detoxed. Look for "Has anyone ever successfully detoxed off methadone" by Strongwomen29.
That is LOADED with the ups and downs, suggestions and comments.
There is also a relatively new one, "Slowly medically supervised detoxing off methadone" by Pastcutter, and Coming off methadone, by suspicion. Lots of info in these as well. Everyone is different and your path and success will be different.

My one piece of advice is, make sure you are really ready. Mentally, physically, financially, spiritually, medically and more. Detox for the right reasons, NOT because you are tired of the clinic or because your family or friends keep asking you "when are you gonna get off that stuff?" or any other bad reason.
Do it because you have a detox plan and discussed it with your clinic doctor, because you are in a great place in your recovery and that you have are really ready to live free of opiates and no longer need methadone's help to keep you clean.

The key to most successful detoxes is to do it very slow. It may take a while, but if you rush it your chances of failure increase. I believe the most recent documentation of a detox is by "Pastcutter". I don't believe her dose was near where your is, but of what I have read, her suggestions are good ones, such as staying hydrated & a good healthy diet.

Good luck! We are here to support you.

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on April 15, 2015, 3:50 PM

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
post replypost new topic