post replypost new topic
New Here Son Started Methadone

Posted: July 1, 2014, 11:36 AM
My son was addicted to heroin. Went to jail then came to live with us. He has a job but no car and nowhere else to live. Was clean for 2 years but a few weeks ago stole from us and was using opiates to help with his back and neck pain. He has no insurance and cant afford it. He went to a local methadone clinic and has started there for $75.00 a week which he can afford. He says the clinic is good and they have counseling. Is this a good or bad thing. It's the only relief for his pain and says he doesn't want to use when he is on it, but I have always heard its bad and they are still addicts if they are on methadone. He says he doesn't want to get high just wants relief from the pain.

Posted: July 1, 2014, 6:45 PM
Hi Pommie,
Please don't worry about your son taking methadone. This methadone board is specifically specifically for people, addicts and parents or loved ones to come and get the real truth about methadone.

To begin with methadone is one of the most widely studied drugs there is. It has been used successfully to treat heroin/opiate addiction since the 1960"s.

It is NOT addictive in the way most think as it does not need to be taken 3, 4, 5, times a day like other opiate drugs. One dose lasts 24-48 hours, although it is normally taken once a day.( I can relate it this way....A person is not addicted to insulin, but they have to have it or they will, after a day or two, become sick. Methadone does not get the person high either and for those say they are "just exchanging one drug for another" that is a bunch of hooey! Once the person is on a stabilized dose, or the dose "that holds him" he should do fine.

Side effects are minimal with sweating and constipation being the most bothersome. It doesn't damage any internal organs. Some people stay on it for 6 to 18 mos in a detox type setting which has everything to do with the length and history of use. Some, have to stay on it for the rest of their lives. For me it is no different than my taking meds for my thyroid or high blood pressure.
I still go to my clinic every 2 weeks to get more medication and I counsel for 50 minutes every month, but what the harm in that? Because I had been testing clean and I had a job I applied for "exceptions" or "takehomes", meaning I could have medication to take home with me and not have to go to the clinic every day. Now I am retired and am raising my teen grandchildren, who are 17 and have a busy home life. I also volunteer every week at my clinic. All I try to do is to get the message across to patients that this program WILL work, if they let it.
I am little prejudiced because I have been on it for over 20 years. Heroin was my drug of choice and methadone saved my life. You can go to the clinic your son is going to and talk to the manager. Feel free to go and ask questions. If he is an adult? they will not discuss his case with you but you can get info about their program. Also, is the staff courteous? Is the clinic clean and welcoming? Is it accredited?? It should look just like a regular doctors office. Please learn everything you can about it, with an open mind, so you know what's up. Not all clinics are accredited and some are pretty messed up. If your son is happy there that's is good and the fact that they offer counseling is even better. If he is truly tired of his addiction hopefully he will take the steps to help him stay clean.

Also, please read "your brain on opiates" which you will find here, on the left side of the page under most popular topics. Another thing I can suggest is to go to the Family Board because there you will find other parents with children who have been or are addicted.

There are people out there who say they have had horrible experiences with methadone, but I have to take that with a grain of salt. Everyone I know who has really wanted to get clean and stay that way has done it with methadone's help.

I hope I have made you feel a bit better about methadone. It is not the horrible drug some try to make it out to be, but there are still those who will speak badly about it and some feel you are not clean unless you are drug free totally. That's their opinion.

Hope I was able to help.

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: July 1, 2014, 10:22 PM

thank you ... your post has helped me enormously. I was so worried but I have read some of your posts and this one has put my mind at ease. God Bless.

Posted: July 2, 2014, 4:45 PM
I am on methadone and pregnant I truly truly want to start subutex asap before I become any further in my pregnancy but nobody will take me in cause I am only on 70 MILLIGRAMS AND I AM UNABLE TO DOSE DOWN CAUSE OF THE SAFETY OF MY CHILDREN IM PREGNANT WITH TWINS OR TEIPLETS NOT FOR SURE IF THERE ARE TWO OR THREE LOL MY CLINIC BY LAW CANT DOSE ME DOWN AT ALL I NEED HELP OR PHONE NUMBERS TO A SUBUTEX DOCTORS THAT WILL HELPME OR SOMETHING PLEASE PLEASE I LIVE IN VIRGINIA IF THAT HELPS ANY IDC HOW FAR I. HAVE TO TRAVEL. I JUST CAN NOT KEEP GOING TO A CLINIC EVERY SINGLE DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK ITS CAUSING ME TO STRESS EXTREMELY BAD AND IM ALREADY AT HIGH RISK FOR MISCARRIAGE AS IT IS... EVERYONE ISSAYING STAY ON METHADONE SO I NEED TO KNOW PLEASE SHOULD I OR SHOULD I JUAT WALK OUT AND QUIT ALK TOGETHER AT MY CLINIC AND PRAY I FIND A SUBUTEX DOCTOR BEFORE ITS TO LATE CAUSE I CANT KEEP FOINF EVERY SINGLE DAY ITS KILING ME MONEY WISE AND PHYSICAL SO PLEASE HELP ME THANK YOU

Posted: July 2, 2014, 11:04 PM
to guest,
I'm am excited for you! Having twins or triplets? What a fun surprise!!!! That will definitely be a handful. If these are your first babies, hopefully you will have some help from family and friends in the beginning. If not and you are already a mom, just take it slow and take one step at a time. Do you know if they are boys or girls?
My first grandchildren are twins, we found out very early on, and I was over the moon! They are 17 now. My daughter-in-law had lost 7 other pregnancies, one at 6 mos, and all singles, before she got pregnant with her twins. She was in her mid 30's.

But please..... DO NOT worry about going on suboxone yet. It is too dangerous for you and your babies to try and get down far enough to go to suboxone.

Methadone is extremely safe for you and your babies. Please, please read about it. It has been proven over and over that it is healthier for mom, and the baby, to stay on the methadone. Since you are high risk why take any chances and jeopardize the health and delivery of your babies.???? Are you talking to your clinic counselor regularly and/or the clinic doctor so the can manage your dose and make sure you are on a good dose. AND, make sure you tell your OB/GYN that you are on methadone as well, as I am sure you have.

I get it, I know its a big fat pain the arse to have to go every day, but from all you have told me this is the safest thing to do. Once you have had your babies and they are home and you are situated, then you can start doing a SLOW detox, with the help of your clinic counselor and your OB-GYN, and step over to suboxone, if that is still what you'd like to do.

I hope this helps, stressing isn't good for you and going through big changes at this point in your pregnancy would be a really bad idea.
If you cant work or aren't working you need to apply for aid, it will pay for your methadone. There should be programs there to help you, again, please talk to your clinic manager or counselor. If that doesn't work please let me know OK???

Take care sweetie, let me know how you are. I am excited for you!!!

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on July 2, 2014, 11:07 PM

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
post replypost new topic