post replypost new topic
Want Support But Have Heard I Wont Be Accepted?

Posted: June 12, 2014, 2:31 PM
I am and have been a patient with multiple
Auto Immune issues. It's a very long story, but the short version is that docs prescribed methadone for severe pain I was having in my legs, along with many other drugs, for neurological issues that were finally (mis) diagnosed as MS. This was in 1992. I was told it is Fibromyalgia (blah) in 2002
I got pregnant in 94 with my daughter and tapered off, which was very difficult but I did it.
I felt really good during the pregnancy. After breastfeeding, I went back on, and am finally tapering off for good now.
I have had periods of abuse of it, but it was years ago. I have been taking the only the prescribed dose of 30 mg with my other meds for over 8 years.
So I want to get group support somewhere, like a 12 step. Program,but am told you have to be clean? I am tapering slowly, so it will take the summer at least. I am down to 20mg now.
I heard they look down on you if they know you're still taking anything?
My emotions are coming up, and I could use some place to talk.

Posted: June 13, 2014, 8:28 AM
Never let anyone tell you you don't belong. Find a meeting that fits YOU. Good luck.

Posted: June 13, 2014, 7:05 PM
Good advice GirlToday!

To I'm a believer,
If you are ok with detoxing and the rest of your life is healthy and good and in order then good for you! Yes, unfortunately NA has a real problem with people taking methadone, which in my opinion is a crock of crappolla! Who do they think they are??? They are NO better than anyone else who has any one of many different addiction problems. Everyone deals with their addiction differently and it shouldn't matter as long as you are being honest about what you are doing in your recovery.
There are methadone anonymous meetings but I'm not sure where you are or if there are any there. There are some on-line meetings, but a face to face would be better, for sure.
When I first tried to clean up I went to AA meetings because I didn't like NA. I just didn't share about my heroin addiction. But that sucks as you cant be honest.
Let me see if I can find the Methadone Anonymous meetings and if I do I will list them here.

good luck,
granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: June 13, 2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks Granny!
No I don't feel totally "stable" even though I've not abused methadone in a long time. I know I have an addictive personality, but have had such a great life with a new husband married 12 years ago, that I have been extremely careful not to screw it up.
But that's been like holding the lid on a pressure cooker.... It will only stay on so long before it blows. The past two years I've had severe chronic pain, and depression with suicidal thoughts. One doctor remarked that my long time methadone use might have affected my dopamine.
I think I stumbled over MA online but you're right, meetings are few. Appreciate what you can find out. Kind of feel like a misfit. There are many of us who have to go off slowly to do it right.
I know what you mean GirlToday.. Nobody should be told they are not welcome!! My mom & dad were both long time (30+yrs sobriety) friends of Bill W. And they would be aghast to know my situation.
post replypost new topic