post replypost new topic
About To Start Methadone

Posted: February 28, 2014, 10:39 PM
Hi, I am completely new to all this. I start my program in 5 days. I'm happy, scared, excited, sad and every other feeling I'm able to feel also. I've been using dope/painpills for 8yrs and am so ready to be off. I've lost an excellent job due to stealing to pay for my habit, ruined countless friendships and most likely took numerous years off my life!! I've heard a lot of negative stuff about methadone until i came across this forum. Not much info out there about methadone so this site has been so helpful being able to hear from other people is really nice.

Posted: March 1, 2014, 6:46 PM
ricka217,
Your words warm me to the bone!!! When I first came to this site I saw NOTHING about methadone here.
I was so angry( and I still am) at the bad rap methadone gets. There are sites for every drug known to man on the internet, like this one, but one had to go to other sites to find out about the wonderful things that methadone can do for opiate addicts.

That was until the wonderful people in charge of this site sided with me and added the methadone board! While it is still not as active as the other boards it is a place for addicts such as yourself can come and get answers about methadone and know you are going to get truthful, honest answers from people who know methadone inside and out. The pros, the cons, whatever.

There are those who think methadone is bad and have had bad experiences. All clinics are NOT created equal, and sometimes when addicts finally decide to try and clean up they go to a bad clinic they then think all clinics are like that. I have been going to the same clinic for 20 yrs and our patients are treated extremely well. If you are looking for a good clinic make sure they are accredited.Keep coming here and the good folks here will help you along your way to living clean. They should be clean and with nice, professional staff.

good luck!!

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: March 6, 2014, 2:25 PM
Thank you, means a lot to hear that. I just started MMT today. Of course it was a very small dose (20mg) and am beginning to feel sick again. The dose nurse said I can raise my dose twice, after them two raises each raise has to be cleared by the Dr. I really hope we can find the right dosage for me fairly fast!! I'm so glad that they got me in as fast as they did, because I am so ready to not be sick everyday!! As for the clinic itself, it's great. You said to make sure that they are accredited and they are. The staff are all very nice and welcoming too. The center has been here in town for 28 years.

Posted: March 8, 2014, 4:23 PM
Dear Ricka,
I am glad you have found a clinic you are happy with. Just curious is it in Calif?
The best info I can give you is to:
Go up on your dose until the craving to use has stopped regardless of how high your dose goes. Some people think that 75 mgs is a lot, while in reality it is a very individual thing and every person is different. I am at 105 and have been there for years, while my husband is at 25. Another patient in my group is on 130mg because that is what holds her, and a newby to our group is still finding his "perfect dose" and is at 90mg. It IS NOT a one dose fits all.

If your clinic offers a variety of weekly meetings, choose one, or more, and go...every week.

DO NOT listen to the "lobby doctors". These are likely people who may not be serious in their recovery and are VERY uninformed about methadone. They spread misconceptions and lies and can really confuse and send mixed messages particularly to new patients that may be unfamiliar with the good treatment methadone programs can provide. If you have questions, ask the staff at your clinic or come here. We are always open:-)

I wish you good luck. If you follow the clinic rules and don't use you will see a HUGE change in yourself and your life. Methadone treatment works, if you let it.

Don't be a stranger,

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
post replypost new topic