next >  post replypost new topic
Sweating On Methadone

Posted: May 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Been on methadone 8 years and 1 thing I just can't get used 2 is sweating profusely on it.Is there anything I can do bout it?? My back,face well everywhere ends up literally dripping and before I was on it I didn't sweat at all,sick of my clothes sticking to me! I'm on the rite dose and I've stopped using so its nothing to do wiv either of those things,can any1 suggest anythin 2 help at all??? Jen

--------------------
"I think we can make it,in fact I'm sure and if u fall,stand tall and come back for more" Tupac Shakur

Posted: May 18, 2012, 6:20 PM
Methadone won’t make everyone sweat, but those that do experience excessive sweat even when appropriately dosed will likely experience the side effect for as long as the methadone is used.
Unfortunately this is one of the TRUE side effects- -as opposed to the many myths

Some tips>>

1.Wear loose fitting clothing, light in weight and of natural materials. Your methadone sweats may seem independent of room temperature, but staying cool can limit the frequency of sweating – after all, if you sweat in the cold you'll sweat worse in the heat!
2.Lose excessive weight! Extra fat heats us up and carrying that weight around requires greater exertion.
3.Get fit. A finely tuned cardiovascular system will deal more easily with stair climbing and other daily activities that can sometimes get us sweating. (Also – if you’re going to be sweaty anyway, you might as well look normal for a change and sweat at the gym with all the other sweaty bodies!)
4.Avoid spicy food. Chili pepper fools the body into a sweat response. You don’t need any help with that one…
5.Wear antiperspirant. (OK – this is probably a no brainer – but there is a difference between antiperspirant and deodorant. Look from a brand that has a high percentage of aluminum chloride as an active ingredient)
6.Take cool showers. OK, another no brainer, but sweat smells, and cool showers can help you to live more comfortably.
7.Try to stay calm. Stress can trigger sweat.
8.Drink plenty of water. Dehydration will only worsen methadone induced constipation.

jack

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
— Hunter S. Thompson[COLOR=blue]

Posted: May 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks ever so much 4 advice,its not a weight thing I'm like a size 0(not out of choice I eat loads) but I do find that black tops make me sweat like mad and yes fitted clothes.so funny bout stress thing I find if I'm putting boys shoes on-random I know but if they start messin about and were in a hurry 2 get somewhere I start having a hot flush and sweating like mad lol cheers I will keep all those things in mind!!

--------------------
"I think we can make it,in fact I'm sure and if u fall,stand tall and come back for more" Tupac Shakur

Posted: June 7, 2012, 12:37 PM
Jenny..honey, how old are you? Do you think this might have anything to do with early onset of menapause as well as the methadone? Have you had the bad sweats from day one of taking it?

Just a thought....some women start earlier and earlier it seems. I have a friend who's in her late 30's and is in full blown menapause.

Jack's advice was right on...another thing that can cause sweating because it gets your heart going? Nicotine. Found that out the hard way..

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.

Posted: June 8, 2012, 4:16 PM
I went through a "surgical menopause" at age 28 due to endometriosis(sp?) NOT FUN. Took hormones(Premarin) for many years and stopped about 2-3 years ago because of the cost. Dumb decision,but I fortunately have not had any of the "normal problems",sexual or otherwise because of it...unless you count the darling little mustache I now have....LMFAO.Also my facial skin seemed a little more "leathery", the main reason I asked about taking it again.

I recently asked my Dr if I should start taking it again and he gave me a new script for the .625mg which I was taking before. At Ralphs, WITH MY INSURANCE, the cost for 30 pills was $69.00 and change! Forget that noise!

My Dr had originally directed my to Canada to get the Premarin and for $32.00 and change I got 112 tablets!!( I was paying like $127.00 for 90 tabs thru the cheapest place I could find, Costco. It did take quite a bit longer to get everything in order being the first time I had ordered from the company but the reduced cost was worth it. And...I will have to reorder earlier(like 2 weeks) to allow for the shipping. It actually would of been ALOT cheaper but they charge a $15.00 express shipping fee although it costs them more than that. Everything comes from India originally,and then thru Singapore then to me thru USPS.
So we'll see how this works, definately cheaper and it is the same one I was taking before.

For those of you who know about my getting guardianship of my grandkids, Our final court date was June 4th and the judge did not grant it to me that day citing my GS had not resided in Calif for 6 mos.She did grant me "legal temporary" until Aug 20th when the 6 mos will be up and she said she will grant it then. With my GD they did not say or do that.....different judge.

Their mom is coming next week for a 2 week visit to be divided between her father and our house.She is really missing the kids so her mom decided to surprise her with a round trip bus ticket from Vegas to here for her B'day.

Cowgirl, how are you doing with your grandkids and family?

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: August 1, 2012, 11:13 AM
I'm 25 x

--------------------

Posted: August 2, 2012, 1:37 PM
Hey Jenny..well, you're too young to be in menapause so it's got to be from your meds.

Are you getting any relief since you first posted?

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.

Posted: October 26, 2014, 2:36 PM
Interesting read. Thanks for the share.

--------------------
192.168.l.l

Posted: November 9, 2014, 12:45 PM
I know that this post is older, but I just signed up so this is my first time reading. I sweat horribly, profusely and disgustingly while on methadone. I am 26 years old and in great shape. I never had sweat problems my entire life. I tried vitadone, as it's supposed to greatly help with sweating but it didn't help one bit. It's so embarrassing, it's like 30-40 degrees out here in Milwaukee and when I get out of the shower (I take cool showers too), I start sweating immediately. I have to sit down after my shower for ten minutes to cool down. I started using certain dri roll on antiperspirant at night before I go to bed as it closes sweat pores so my pits don't soak through my shirts. I then have to take my entire getting ready process really slowly, like blow drying my hair and putting make up on. I wear shorts and a tank until I'm ready to leave my apartment, then I'll change into what I'm gonna wear so I don't soak it in sweat before I leave. I have so many acne scars from when my skin got bad while using, so I don't go out without make up...I'm so self conscious of my skin. But I wish I didn't have to wear it because sometimes I'm just sitting in class and I'll start sweating and it'll drip down my forehead. There's really nothing that will stop this while on methadone, but you can do small things to help it like putting gold bond menthol lotion on after showers since it really cools the skin. I also carry ban cooling body wipes with me everywhere since they really help.

Posted: November 9, 2014, 5:59 PM
Kail925,
You don't mention how long you have been on methadone. Sweating to some extent while on methadone is a side effect but yours sounds way beyond the norm. Maybe it would be wise to talk to your doctor and see if there isn't something else going on.

I know ,for me, the summer can be miserable, especially when I was still working. I'd sweat like crazy when no one else was. But during the winter months it would go away.(I live in So. Calif)

good luck, I am sure it is a real pain to have to go through all you do before leaving your house for the day.

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on November 9, 2014, 6:01 PM

--------------------

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]

Posted: November 9, 2014, 7:10 PM
To me it sounds like your dose is too high. You should definitely discuss with whomever is prescribing this medication for you.
Sweating please stop!

Posted: December 23, 2014, 6:55 PM
Girl, I feel ur pain so bad! There is nothing different about her and her sweating, her sweating isn't extreme...like everything U explained it wat I go through too and when I mention the sweating in group (since my clinic makes us attend one weekly group), everyone in the room agrees with me and says its happening to all of them too at this extreme rate. Like it has to be cold for me not to be sweating, but whoever I'm with or wherever I am will never let it be that cold for me not to be sweating. I work at a restaurant and my face (my forehead and either side of my nose) is literally drenched the entire time I'm working. I have to keep napkins in my apron to literally keep dabbing my face after each thing I do. It's so embarrassing and everyone is always like "what's wrong with this girl" even my managers ask me all the time why I'm sweating and I just say "CUZ I'm hot" like what else am I supposed to say?? I can't believe I haven't got fired for my sweating, it's THAT noticeable and inconvenient but I guess they can't just fire someone for sweating even though I don't see why not, it's a restaurant! Who the hell would want a sweaty waitress?? But I guess they like me and have all gotten used to it by now...no, they haven't, CUZ I have worked there for 6 months now and people are still always commenting about it. A customer who I had no idea who they are started fanning me with the menu! Like seriously? Like I started working there in the summer and it would be soooo hot in there even with the air on, so I was like "I can't wait for winter so I won't swear like this at work" but now it's winter and they got the heat on and no matter how many times I go outside and stand in the freezing cold to cool off till I'm shivering, but within 45 seconds of being inside I got a nice thin sheet of sweat on my face. I'm not on a high dose of methadone, and I would just start to detox but they won't let me yet so I'm just stuck sweating. I have been taking the Nutridone (my clinics version of the Vitadone I guess) 3 times a day but that has only helped with constipation and sugar cravings, but not even the slightest but for sweating. I truly feel like this problem is affecting my job and even if they don't fire me, I can't even start to apply for real jobs (not that waitressing isn't a real job, but I graduated college so I want a career) cuz I don't want to f*** up my chances over sweating and I want to be a reporter! NO WAY I COULD BE A REPORTER SWEATING LIKE THIS! I already lost out on making it on TV in my college class, they never picked me to be on it, and I'm a pretty girl and talented, so I WONDER WHY I NEVER GOT PICKED. Fml seriously even when I try to do the right thing and live a normal life, I have this s*** haunting me no matter where I go or the temperature! Someone please help! Someone said the antiperspirant high in aluminum something, but would that be okay to put on my face? My dad said that it might be bad if it got in ur system?? I need solutions! I would get off this damned methadone right now if I could but I can't and I'm just stuck in this sweating rut!! And like I said before, I kno it's not just me and mine is more extreme than usual, cuz it's not! Everyone I have asked at the clinic experiences it as bad as I am.

Posted: December 24, 2014, 1:29 PM
Dear Sweating,
The word for excessive sweating is Hyperhidrosis. (I had to look that one up. lol)
I know how you feel. When I was working, especially in the summer, I would sweat like a b*^#ch1. Within 2 hours all my makeup was gone and I was drenched. (Fortunately for me I managed a dog kennel so I'm sure the dogs didn't mind) The office I was in was quite large, but the air conditioner my boss put in was made for a room about 3/4 that size so for 15 years I was doomed from the start.
Since I retired I have not noticed the sweating so much and my dose hasn't changed. Does it affect you in other aspects of your life? Discuss it with your family doctor as well. There are treatments, I believe, to help with excessive sweating but whether it applies to a medication causing it I don't know.
As Jack said, it is one of the REAL side effects of taking methadone. He gave a great list of things to help to make it more bearable. I'm sure it is extremely annoying but try not to fixate on it so much. Just keep doing the best you can at your job. You sound like a fantastic waitress!

granny

This post has been edited by Granny2 3 on December 24, 2014, 1:47 PM

--------------------

Posted: December 28, 2014, 1:41 AM
Dear Jenny,
I really do hope you get this info. I just learned about this site today, & I noticed your post is 2 years old. I hope you get an email or somet ing. The sweating & other side effects get worse with the higher your dose is. If you can't lower it, then I strongly recommend either VITAdone or NUTRIdone. They are vitamins specifically for Methadone patients. They help with:::: Constipation, Sweating, Sugar Cravings, & Fatigue. Some clinics give them to patients, & others don't. They are internet order only. They run about $30. It takes a month for you to start seeing & noticing the vitamins kick in. IDK if I am allowed to post websites or numbers. However it's not hard to find them online.
tfrogchic

Posted: January 4, 2015, 10:26 PM
I hate these methadone sweats as well. when its cold outside I still sweat. I get sweatty just putting my clothes on and being bundled up for low temps causes more sweatting which freezes and I freeze in ice cold sweat. just walking up one stair makes me sweat. I sweat when I think too hard. I sweat from sweating. It is ridiculous. I was at 180mg but have gone down to 120 so far with no relief what so ever. This horrible side effect of methadone is a nightmare. I am being punished for turningmy life back around.
tfrogchic

Posted: January 4, 2015, 10:33 PM
Dear Starbar. Are you yourself on the methadone and have you experienced the relief from experience from sweating with the vitadone. I am goingabsolutely crazy from the sweats in addition to weight gain. I have been going down 5mg every other week for 6 monthsbecause I can't handle this anymore. will try anything. my doc wouldn't prescribe me biperidine for sweats so need another hope.

Posted: January 5, 2015, 3:45 AM
To tfrogchic. All your stories of sweating are what I go through too. I just started the Vitadone. My friend said it helped her to stop sweating a lot, stopped food cravings, & other stuff. She told me it takes a month for the Vitadone to start working. I am happy at my dose, so I'm afraid to decrease it. But maybe if I do a little at a time like you. IDK. But I just bought a Vitadone bottle. There's 90 pills, 3 a day for 30$. I like the rest of you can't stand sweating Anymore! That's why I said F of & bought the Vitadone. It doesn't have any Iron in it, since many ppl have Hep C. , so if you don't then talk to your Dr about how much Iron to take. I just add 1 Iron tablet a day. Many methadone clinic s actually give Vitadone. Mine doesn't. I hope this helps for now. In another 3 weeks (will give an update on whether it works liike they say. Good Luck!
tfrogchic

Posted: January 5, 2015, 3:15 PM
Starbar, thank you for the fast response. I think I will order some vitadone to try myself but keep in touch as to your results with it. I am sure some of my problems have to with my unhealthy eating and the 40lbs I have gained. I am 20lbs more than I've ever been. I have started a diet and yoga so hope this all helps. goodluck for you

Posted: January 6, 2015, 2:49 PM
tfrogchic, I, too put on weight. I wish I would've got me Vitadone earlier. I don't believe it has to do with the weight gain, unhealthy diet, that all is part of Methadone side effects! We are so lucky. LOL. On a serious note, methadone saved my life. Yet I do hate the sweating. Due to some serious stuff I am dealing with mentally, it's not safe for me to decrease my dose. Everyone I know on Vitadone says it works. It stops Constipation, Sweating, Food Craving, & Fatigue. But exercise is always good. Yoga is good for your health & mentally, & spiritually! So good for you. You go girl!!!

Posted: January 6, 2015, 2:55 PM
http://www.nutritionalsupplementsco...e_vitadone.html
post replypost new topic