post replypost new topic
Suspension Of Methadone Take Homes

Posted: October 10, 2004, 5:34 PM

I'm a single mom of four children and also on a methadone clinic in Massachusetts.I've been on the clinic for four years and two months ago I got approved for take homes.At this clinic they are opened on the holidays and weekends.My takehome schedule is four days out of 7 In which I've really come to enjoy.Now in order to keep my takehomes I have to follow the rules of the clinic.I had been in compliance with all of their requirements.Until I had an emergnacy with my youngest son that fell on the day of the counciling session.I phoned the clinic later that day to explain my no show.I even offered documention from my sons doctors office in which my conselor excepted.A few days later I emailed my conselor to ask her if we could reschedule the broken appointment for the following week.I didn't get her email back that day and then another tragedy took place.My oldest childs best friend got killed while walking to school.My daughter was so very upset,I was there for my child throughout everything that took place services etc that I had forgotton about checking my email for a response from my conselor with the new appointment date.By the time I had a chance to get on my computer a week went by and I missed the second appointment date.I was very upset about what happened.Well a day or two went by and I wrote a formal letter to my conselor and clinic stating all I been through within those three weeks and how sorry I was to have missed those appointments.In that letter I also sent proof of my daughters friends death and a letter from my childs doctors office.Well the very next day after sending in my letter.I received a letter from the clinc suspending my takehomes the reason states:I missed two scheduled appointments.My takehomes were taken away that very day I was in to pick up.Can they do that? At this clinic they have warning notices that go out to clients that miss a scheduled appointment.!st and 2nd and 3rd warnings then suspension starts.But I only received 2 notices.and as I stated earlier the 1st appointment i broke.my conselor said to bring in a doctors letter stating my sons emergnacy so she can put the letter in my file.So why is she now going back and issuing me a warning notice? Is there anything I can do to get these takehomes reinstated? I do plan to write to the program director so they can re consider the suspension.Please,could you help me in the right direction.I worked very hard to receive thse take homes.I'm hurt that took them away without speaking to me first.
Thanks for reading,
-Cheryl

Posted: October 11, 2004, 4:41 PM
Dear Cheryl:

I have been on Methadone for over 6 years and I know how you feel. That once happened to me due to a positive u/a which had happened when I had to go to an Emergency Room for my ulcer. They gave me Dolophine and Reglan, both which are stomach relaxers and one of them showed positive for benzodiazepene in my u/a test. I was outraged that they snatched my take outs and called the director crying telling her how hard I had worked to stay off of street drugs and abide by the clinic rules. Luckily, she was understanding and I went right in and was given my take outs. Have you tried talking to the director of your clinic about these situations? And since you have the proof, maybe you could give the info directly to them and fix the take out problem that way?? I have found that going straight to the top always helps, because some of these counselors could give a - - - - , excuse my french, about your recovery and if you receive your methadone or not !! That is just the way they are. Luckily, the clinic I go to in Florida is wonderful and they are not all in your face about penny anny things. As long as you have documentation of things that happen, they don't take any action against you for missing anything and I feel that if you do have that, you should go to the top person, so to speak, and state your case. Just don't take "NO" for an answer but be nice and be civil, don't yell or scream, just state your case and make them know you are telling the truth. It seems that most counselors like to think that us recovering opiate addicts are always telling lies about one thing or another when in fact, we have emergencies in life just as they do. Most of the do not understand and I would also ask for another counselor if I were you, maybe someone who understands you and your lifestyle, children, work, etc.

Things cannot always happen on their schedule and any clinic that has any compassion, will yield to this and give you another chance, especially since you have written documentation PROVING YOU ARE NOT LIEING TO THEM....By the way, you can look up the federal rules and regulations regarding clinics in your state on the internet if you have access to a computer. You should make it a POINT and make the time to look up the rules and regulations governing your particular clinic by searching for Federal Methadone Regulations in Massachusetts ? I am sure you can find them very easily and there are specifications regarding take homes and reasons for why they are pulled or re-instated... hope this helps. Learn the regulations that govern your clinic, otherwise they will tell you anything and expect you to believe it and 9 out of 10 times, it isn't the truth. People will pretty much say anything to shut addicts up !!!! Especially when it comes to methadone maintenance treatment.....

--------------------
Jillian D.
mittens

Posted: November 19, 2014, 5:58 AM
Dear cheryl I am also a client who lost takegomes due to the fact that I missed a callback because I was working. Unfortunately they cannot look at certain things differently from others because if they did than the person who did miss an appointment on purpose or missed a callback on purpose will be able to say well so ans so got hers back and then comes conflict eben if you talk to no one you know everyone magically knows your status. You can plead your case and write a letter to whom it may concern give it to director, your counselor, and your takegome commitee, also talking directly to the rx dr at clinic can skip over all those p.In my letter I stated that I understand the importanxe of rules and why there in place and I know its my responsibility to be there when I say im going to or to make sure the xlinic can reach me no matter where I am. Basically saying that they own me without saying it. It works though in 30 days ill jave them back. Depending on the clinic and there rules u may be able to do the same. The thing that sucks is once there suspende, there suspended for 30 days no matter what. Even if your not in the wrong. Trust me I know my friend proved she didnt drink because she had false possitive breathalyzer but even though they admitted she was right there was no getting vack til 30 days
post replypost new topic