post replypost new topic
Suboxone Metabolite Missing From Ua

Posted: March 9, 2017, 11:45 AM
I've been prescribed suboxone for a few years now. It has done wonders for my recovery. Recently, however, I have been getting pressure from the doctor. In two of my recent tests (not back-to-back), the suboxone metabolite norbuprenorphine was not present.

I want to preface the rest of this by saying that yes, I take it exactly as prescribed. I am on the film, not the tablet. I am only on 4mg/day. I take 2mg in the morning and 2mg mid-afternoon. The UAs I take are generally around 4pm, and I normally take my afternoon dose at around 3pm. The last time this happened, the next test showed it in my system again. However, this time the doctor made it clear that, while he personally believed I was compliant with all the rules of the program, he would have no choice but to discharge me if this kept happening. I told him I understood that with federal oversight he couldn't take any chances. I do sympathize with his view - he cannot put his other patients at risk for one that, at least according to the official metric, is non-compliant.

I am very dedicated to my recovery. I voluntarily attend 12-step meetings and see a psychiatrist monthly. I have not used in years. Both myself, and apparently the doctor, are at a total loss to explain this. The other baffling thing is that while buprenorphine itself does show up on the test, the metabolite DOESN'T. I'm really, really worried that I'm about to lose the central key to my recovery. I previously had to go to a methadone clinic daily, and it was very expensive and inconvenient (like almost 30 minute drive each way). I am terrified, confused and very, very worried. I was hoping I could find some information, or some theory, as to what could possibly cause this. So here's the only one I could think of:

I drink too much liquid, and the metabolite is being diluted below the detection threshold. I probably drink between 2-6 soda per day (I know, I know). I always make sure to drink about a full can before I go to the office because I know I'm going to have to take a UA. Could this possibly account for the missing metabolite? Or maybe something in my diet? I'm desperate for help. I know that I am not yet ready to transition off suboxone totally. It's my ultimate goal, but I'm not ready. I'm so scared I'm going to end up relapsing. Please, please if anyone has any information or ideas, I would be very grateful if you would share them.
Brandon

Posted: March 21, 2017, 2:14 PM
Hi I hope I can offer some good advice..I know if I drank 2 cans of pop a day I would balloon out and feel sick. It's poison and that much pop is bad for you. Doesn't the suboxone store in fat cells. Could that much pop give you more fat cells to hide the subs? Can you try drinking water and juice but mostly water? Sugar is an addiction as well. If you can prove to yourself that you can kick sugar then you know your getting mentally stronger against addiction. Be strong!! You can do it!
post replypost new topic