post replypost new topic
Methadone Withdrawl
Bldem

Posted: March 29, 2015, 2:22 PM
I am 29 years old and have been on methadone for 2 years I am currently tapering off the methadone I am at 35mgs and have heard nothing but terrible things about withdrawls I am going down 5mgs a week from 90mg and have been doing fine so far I have been seriously thinking of making the switch to suboxone in order to get completely off everything. my question is does anyone know if I should just stay on methadone and continue tapering til im off or switch to suboxone? I am terrified of the withdrawls and heard meth withdrawls can last months is this the same with suboxone? im almost tempted to go back to heroin and detox off that at least I know that's 5-7 days MAX.

Posted: May 11, 2015, 6:52 AM
bldem
I know this post is over a month old, but in case you are still here checking out the site, I myself was on methadone and in my view, I was on it much too long. when it was time to stop the methadone because the clinic closed down, I thought I could handle the withdrawals and never discussed with my counselor at the clinic about going on suboxone like I should have.
You heard many horror stories like me, but I thought I could handle it and just disregard the horror stories. I tried with a positive mind. but when it comes to a physical withdrawal it doesn''t matter how positive you stay, you will go thru withdrawals. and yes, it's uncomfortable. it's a fact. I think it would be smart of you to find a subuxone doctor for your next step after coming off the methadone. You HAVE to have the methadone totally out of your system before you take the sub other wise you will go into a horrible withdrawal syndrome.
If you go to a doctor or speak to your counselor at the clinic where you get your methadone, they should be telling you this important information.
you have to wait a few days. I waited longer because I went to a new place that just happened to start a suboxone program and they didnt' have all the kinks out yet as far as insurance verification and all that.
I had to pay for the sub out of pocket at first before I got authorization from insurance company and then got paid back from pharmacy. I was told to take my RX pain pills to help me get thru the waiting period till i got on the sub because of the fact I was suffering so much.
so I took those till I was able to finally get on the sub. it helped me significantly.
A lot of doctors used to ask me why was I on pain pills if I was on methadone? because it blocks opiates. but I was on such a low dosage of methadone at the time that I found it actually did work. Please dont go back to using heroin. Use your instinct to go on the suboxone.
You're smart and I see that you're thinking ahead of the game so that you don't set yourself up to fail. You've been clean for two whole years. Why go back to a substance that might kill you. it's like playing russian rullet. how ever you spell it.
there are SO many young people dying from over doses in the County that I live in. There's a nurse that works at a local hospital in a near by village and she told my daughter there were 3 people that over dosed over the weekend. THAT is A LOT!!!! plus I heard on radio that another near by town a young 17 yr old boy had died of an over dose.
as I"ve stated before, heroin is not prejudice and can afflict any chaste of people, rich OR poor. I feel it was reported on radio just because the town has a lot of wealthy upper class people living there and that they were shocked that because the town has wealtlhy people in it that no one would touch dope there. come on!!!!. I dislike using titles like this, but that's what society does. always judging by the way we look or how our job is, or how rich you are and how big of a house you own.
Sorry, I got off topic. anyway, If I were you, i'd speak to my counselor where you get treated with your methadone and go on the suboxone. I love the suboxone and have no effects from it what so ever.
stay on the suboxone the shortest period of time, which is like a year i heard and if you're ready and feel confident enough that you won't go back to dope, then wean off the sub.
good luck, and I hope you get a chance to read this reply.
please keep us updated if you're still here on the board.

post replypost new topic