post replypost new topic
Suboxone Tapered

Posted: January 27, 2015, 4:53 PM
Alright so i will try to make what could be long short and leave out personal stuff, as it doesnt really change anything.

Current dose: .25mg/day (1/8 a 2mg strip)

Day 3 at this dose, was at .5 last week, 1 the week before that and 2 the month before that and for atleast 2 years now i think.

Have been on this drug for 5 years and am 22, herion for years before that.

Now 2 years ago I was on 8mg a day, but decided to quit cold turkey when i came up positive for thc and my DR refused to prescribe it. The days after that may be why I am so worried now. I made it 14 days before going back on, it was damned near impossible to do my job which was highly physical. (the fatigue, leg pain, and lack of energy were still going at dat 14, the first 5 days of WD's i didnt sleep at all, and the following days i may have got 1-2/8hours of laying in bed.)

So I am wondering about what the best way to jump while working full time will be? Should i taper down further?

Currently I take the dose at 6am when i leave for work, and to get to sleep at night i am takeing 25mg of benadryl, 5mg of melatonin, and 400mg of motrin. So obviously I am not stable at this dose yet. However, the 8-10hrs i am at work I feel fine, the wd's dissapear 1-2hours after taking the morning dose.

My thoughts were to drop it to 1/16 next week after skipping doses all weekend.

This post has been edited by stinkfist on January 27, 2015, 4:57 PM

Posted: January 28, 2015, 5:56 PM
any one with any ideas for help with the sleep cycle/fatigue, or any insight at all is welcome to comment.

personally i think suboxone is a wonderful drug and has helped many people maintain a more normal life through their addiction. not that its better than being completely clean, but for many that just isn't promising option at first. the lengthy detox, wd's, and PAWS do suck, but atleast its tolerable while most other opiate detoxes require some supervision to say the least.

without it who know where i would be today. I have a good career now, a house(rental), gf, savings account(though small, more than i had before), and a dog.

This post has been edited by stinkfist on January 29, 2015, 8:58 PM

Posted: January 29, 2015, 9:12 PM
Started taking a multivitamin and a vitamin D/calcium supplement yesterday.

I'm sure it'd take me atleast 2 weeks if not more to stabilize at this dose, but as it its its more than sufficient to get through work.

Also considering i have 20+ suboxone left I am debating whether or not to discontinue going to my monthly appointment. 20 of them is almost 6 months on my current dose, and if i manage to halve it Monday it will be over a year worth. So, its far more than I need, but I'm not sure if i want to get anything to help or not (like sleep aids, naltrexone, or anything else) One of the main reasonse I want to quit is to get rid of the monthly appointment, which forces me to live and schedule my life around it. I have to currently drive an hour and a half each way, not to mention its affect on vacation or leaving the state.

If anyone was wondering, the mild WD's i currently have are: feeling very cold most of the time(when i try to get warm i feel too hot), mild cold sweats, depression is very mild, fatigue, inability to get comfortable/restless legs, and sleep would be very difficult without the OTC pills i have been taking. The WD's start to appear about 1-2hours after work and last until about 1-2 hours after i take my dose the next morning.

All in all, dropping to this dose has been easier than i had expected so far, but the effects have been magnified with every drop so far and is sure to be the same for the next drop.

Posted: January 30, 2015, 5:24 PM
found out i have to work a half day tomorrow, but i still intend to skip the dose if it doesnt cause too much trouble. I also dont plan to change my dosage drop monday and just got a new 10mL oral syringe for it. (i can easily break the films into equal sized pieces in eights and even sixteenths, but its much easier in an oral solution. Example, break 2mg film into 4, mix 1/4 into a 4mL solution, and then take 1mL/day and you have 4 days worth at .125mg/day or 125µg. REFRIGERATE.)

each day has certainly gotten progressively easier, but stabilization at a low dosage is not my goal. Not that I may not choose to wait to stabilize before jumping when i find a dose i cant drop any longer.

This post has been edited by stinkfist on January 30, 2015, 5:25 PM

Posted: January 31, 2015, 6:16 PM
Tried taking a solution of 2mL water with 125µg of suboxone before my half day today, but looked so strung out at work with a puffy face and glossy eyes that i took 1mL more of the same mixture and finally one more mL when that didn't help for the regular .25mg dosage.

disappointed in the results today, but as looking strung out could cost me my job i can't afford to do so. without vacation time til the fall i will just continue to taper at whatever rate I can while maintaining my appearance. I can handle the depression, chills, sweats, suicidal thoughts, current levels of fatigue, but not such severe changes in physical appearance.

tomorrow i still intend to skip the dose and try again for the 125µg monday morning, but am prepared to take 187.5µg if need be.

two years ago when i came back on suboxone it was to a .25mg oral solution from the 8mg subs, but i raised my dose to 2mg after a slip up. However the .25mg was a very stable dose for me after the two weeks without suboxone. currently .25mg is only preventing WD's 2/4 of the day, and i am wondering if i am going to have to slow my taper at this point in order to maintain my appearance and job. the aqueous solution i took today also had less effect than the same mg dosage of the physical piece of suboxone, and i am not sure why but plan to continue from this point with the solution.

i am also wondering how the long half life will affect my one day skip before dropping the dose, and if the dose will be enough to mask the WD's or if a full dose will be needed with a dropped dose the following day, but currently plan to play this by ear.

i am rambling, and freezing, but depression has once again subsided, but my face still feels puffy. is it possibly being caused by the multivitamin or vitamin d/calcium supplement, i have been taking the melatonin and benadryl a bit longer now so i have doubts that its them(also considering benadryl should have opposite effect and wasn't taken since before bed.) would taking another benadryl in the morning be enough to mask this unfortunate side effect? (idk but do think i will take one Monday if i feel puffy, even at the risk of being tired)

I feel bad for my girlfriend as she knows nothing of opiate use or detox, and has no empathy for me. I am realizing that this maybe a longer battle than anticipated and have started trying to say yes when she or anyone else asks me to do something, especially things i know i would do if i wasn't so weak and tired from this taper.

idk if documenting this publicly will help anyone or not, i do not have anyone to talk to it about in life though. i don't like NA or counseling groups, as i feel suboxone and methadone have been demonized by recovering addicts and those dumb enough to speak without experience of recovery or maintenance drugs. I am embarrassed to admit to taking it, even if when i don't cite my reasons for needing it.

i know a lot of the is just me rambling, and i have no energy to edit it or reasons to do so.

Posted: January 31, 2015, 6:35 PM
One method is to reduce by 25% every four days or until stable. You can taper to any level before the next step. Then skip days because of the long half life. Not a race to jump, like the tortoise , slow and steady wins the race. You have a supply ,so if you are unstable, you're not cheating by taking a sliver to be comfortable. Remind yourself of the prize at the end. Freedom and a great feeling of accomplishment. I admire your commitment and effort. You CAN do this. Drink liquids like water or Gatorade. Avoid caffeine and chocolate. You have a physical job but exercise helps.

Posted: January 31, 2015, 6:39 PM
I would not take benadryl in the morning. Take it at night for sleep aid. L-tyrosine and 5htp natural supplements may help in the morning.

Posted: February 1, 2015, 10:23 AM
yea, idk i dont really want to be anymore pills as it seems im already taking too many as it is but i will look into them. Do you have any experience with the two you mentioned?

currently i take 4-6 200mg motrin, 1-2 25mg benadryl before bed (second when i cant sleep after 2hours), 1-2 5mg melatonin before bed (second if i cant sleep), multivitamin, and d/calcium supplement.

i may have to agree though i may have to slow the progress down, idk if i will be able to continue at weekly 50% dosage drops. It does't seem to be giving my body enough time to adjust anymore, if it fails, then i will do 25% drops like your saying, or give myself 2x as long to stabilize on the dose. I have never been on a dose under .25mg, but as i have been completely stabilized on that dosage im sure it can be done.

before i do jump i plan to stabilize on my final taper, whatever dosage that may be i have yet to decide completely.

i hope its not too long of a winter; with the 8 inches of snow predicted today, and my chills setting in as bad as ever i don't want to be shoveling.

Posted: February 2, 2015, 5:24 PM
So I decided that Saturday the reaction I had while switching to the aqueous solution must have been an allergy or caused by something else. Sunday I had planned to skip dose completely but after what happened I was worried about how i would feel at work Monday so i took (3/4)/.25mg dose from the same aqueous solution, and actually felt surprisingly well. I even did about 5 hours of house cleaning from 4-9pm.

So today, Monday, I took the planned 125µg dose before leaving for work. I did feel fatigued for a while after getting up and had to shovel a good 6+ inches of snow before i left, but after about 2 hours the WD's subsided for the most part, and at the moment I still feel well. Other than being a bit sore and tired.

So, I plan to continue this dose until next Monday where I will once again try a 50% drop in dosage. If it ends up being too much for me to work through I will put it off til the following monday or do a 25% drop instead, depending on how i feel.

After that I plan to stabilize on the 62.5µg dosage until I am able to sleep without the 2 benadryl and 10mg of melatonin I have been taking. I don't know quite how long it will take, but im guessing 2 weeks, or possibly a bit longer. I have been taking these sleep aids for a few weeks now though, and dont want to get too dependent on them. After stabilizing sleep and being able to sleep a week without the pills I will continue to cut the dosage.

I am not sure where this will end, but I do intend to see how far I can take this.

(wanted to add this, but my vision hads been a bit blurry this past week. Most noticeable when im watching tv or at the computer, but it certainly is not in my head. Im having to put a lot more focus into reading.)

This post has been edited by stinkfist on February 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

Posted: February 4, 2015, 5:06 PM
this dose of .125mg has been going well so far. a bit more tired and sore than in the past drops, but im still able to work and get to sleep. I am a little worried about monday, but still happy to be pushing it down and down.

also i have been using the films for this taper because they are much easier to break up, and forgot i had another 10-20 2mg tablets. So i certainly should have more than I need. Ill deal with them when i get closer to jumping off it completely.

This post has been edited by stinkfist on February 7, 2015, 12:27 AM
post replypost new topic