post replypost new topic
Seeking Info On Subs

Posted: September 10, 2014, 5:52 PM
My husband went to rehab last year and has been sober from alcohol and clean from opiates for a year now. He is currently on a suboxone program through a doctor and I am looking for some information on it. I would like to see him taper and eventually stop his use, partly because it is very expensive and not covered by our medical insurance.

However, I do care about his health and whenever I bring up the subject of him stopping he says something along the lines of, "Well wouldn't you rather have me doing this than being addicted to pills and booze?" I feel like this is a manipulation, but I honestly dont' know if I am being callous in asking him to stop.

I care deeply about his sobriety for the sake of himself, our marriage, and our two children. Is it irrational of me to want him to get off of the subs and let him do it in his own time? Should I let go of the money issue as long as he is not drinking or doing drugs?

I did cross post this in the Family section, to get the family point of view, but I would also truly appreciate the suboxone user perspective as well.

Posted: September 18, 2014, 1:08 PM
That's a tough one. I think it really depends on the individual, past dosage and length of time exposed. Damage to receptors are different for each of us. I have been on a 1mg maintenance dose for 2 years! LOL I LOVE my doctor, as he didn't just treat me, he educated me as to WHY I had to be treated as well. I hope to share that on this forum.

The good thing though is you both know how it feels to be addicted to opiates. My husband has never smoked cigarettes, so imagine my debacle !!! We made it, still together.

One year is great, congrats to both of you. The one thing I found that the mental healing takes awhile. It can take as long as 2-3 years to even feel human again, outside of withdrawal. How long were you guys using?

My Dr. advised me to start tapering every other day at first. It helped because I didn't feel robbed, I also 'dosed up every other day, so dosing down every other day wasn't that big o' deal.

What mg is he taking now? Film or tablets?

Laura In Jax

John

Posted: September 30, 2014, 9:05 PM

It's not irrational, but perhaps it's a little misguided. Before you jump all over me, let me explain what I mean.

Suboxone is as addictive or worse in some aspects than the opiates your husband was previously addicted to. Trying to ask him to "just stop" could be a very bad thing for his overall recovery. It's not as easy as just deciding to stop and then doing so. His taper should be on his time, but with a boost of motivation from you.

I guess what I'm saying is, give him the confidence and support to taper, but don't make him feel like it's an ultimatum. I run a good blog that focuses on Suboxone and you're welcome to stop by and ask me ANYTHING!

You can find my blog at My Webpage, as I said feel free to stop over and leave me a comment.

Matt

Posted: October 1, 2014, 8:03 PM
Hey there, i was just reading your post and looking to give you some guidance being a recovering addict myself. First, i hear ya on the price of suboxone. Its very expensive, which was a problem for me aswell. So i explained to the doctor that i could just not afford it, that it was cheaper for me to use (and it honestly was! Lol). So he decided to write me the prescription for subutex instead, when i had it filled at my pharmacy the cost was under half of what i was paying for the suboxone. I said to myself "yeah thats more like it!", haha. So see if maybe your husband can get subutex instead, theres a very big price difference.

As to regarding your 'nagging' him about when hes going to decide to tapper off the sub and totally become clean of opiates. I would advise you to refrain from doing this, because (in my opinion) it would feel as if your rushing him to get sober but more importantly it would make me feel as if you have no support for my treatment. The reason i wouldn't be able to give you a direct answer is because honestly im scared right now. This whole treatment thing is scary, because i have no idea if its going to work, how will i get off this medication later in the future, and most important of all... Im not getting high, and trying not to use for our future. Im scared to relapse for the sake of us, so please stand with me. Ofcourse this is all based on my opinion apon how i would feel in your husbands shoes.

So my advice to you is to give positive reinforcement when you see him taking his sub, say something like "im glad to see your staying on track" or even a simple "i love you" will do.

-Matt B
post replypost new topic