|
PRIVACY
|
RECOMMEND A RESOURCE
|
HOME

Subutex & Norco
Posted: June 8, 2007, 11:39 AM

what happens if you take norco with subutex? I had my rotator cuff repuilt and am in horrible pain (sub is not a pain killer for me).
Posted: June 8, 2007, 12:04 PM

I would ask your doctor, how many mg are you on of the subutex?
I am surprised he didn't have you go off a few days before surgery if he gave you the pain meds, he should know that depending on the mg of sub, along with the norcos, there is a possibility of ODing if abused.

YOU will not get high or feel the effects of Norco while on subutex. Fact.

As to whether the two in combination help alleviate pain, I do not know that answer, I would ask your doctor.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Posted: June 8, 2007, 12:22 PM

I take 8mg of sub (4am and 4pm). I know this is not a medical site, but I don't want to tell my ortho I am on sub (I know it is not supposed to be embarrassing but it is).
Posted: June 8, 2007, 12:27 PM

BTW: I never experience the high some people report from opiods. If I did I might not have stopped. I don't drink or smoke pot because both cause exteme nausea and general feeling of beeing unwell (pot causes panic in me).
Posted: June 8, 2007, 12:58 PM

May I ask why you are on subutex? Did you become addicted to pain pills for pain issues?

I am telling you that if it were me, I would not take the two together, you are on a high dose of subutex. Have you tried 800mg Motrin?

Typically, they take you off sub a few days before surgery, then if pain pills are needed, once those are done, you go back on sub. You do know that regardless with each sub break, you must be in WD before starting it again.

Let me say this, and do not take it wrong, you put yourself in danger if you went under anesthesia for surgery and didn't inform the doctors. You got lucky.

Try the www.naabt.org board, it is for sub users only, a ton of information there.

I am not sure there is a win win here, it takes up to i think 40-60 hours for sub to leave your body totally before the pills would even work for pain, and trust me you do not want to go thru sub WD at 16 mg. I think I would have to tough this one out, since it is after the fact in order not to put yourself in danger of ODing,

What happens is people that take sub, and take pain pills on top of it, keep looking for two things, either pain relief that may never come so they take more, or they take more to try and find that buzz, which never comes on sub, they end up Oding. Documented cases.

Silent Partner is very knowledgeable about this and he can confirm or correct me on my information. I will give a shout out to him to come help you if he is available.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Posted: June 8, 2007, 3:06 PM

I am taking a total of 8mg sub per day split 4 am and 4 pm-not 16. I am taking sub to help me get off if the morphine I was taking priror to surgery-I had to wait 8 weeks prior to the surgery and was in unbelievable pain 24/7 which radiated down as far as my hand, had me up at night, etc. The pain now is still bad but different than prior to surgery.
From the pamphlet received with the sub I understand it is a different kind of opiate, but as stated earlier I did not experience euphoria with morphine (and yes, I have tried norco). I just did not know if norco would be able to provide pain relief since the subutex is not. I am 6 weeks post surgery and am very frustrated with the ups and downs of the progress I am making with physical therapy and hope exercise. Yesterday I wanted to just cut my arm off!
Anyway thanks for the advice, hopefully someone else will also share some insight.
Thanks,
Posted: June 8, 2007, 4:10 PM

Sorry I misunderstood the dose. I really don't want to advise you on something I have not experienced, I recently got off subutex, I was thankful the year I was on it, I didn't need anything for pain.
I have emailed SP, he lives in another country Austria I think, so there is a time difference.
You could always call the makers of subutex and ask them.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Posted: June 9, 2007, 5:02 AM

If you are on sub, the buprenorphine will block out the hydrocodone component of norco - and all you will get is the acetaminophen.

If you try and "beat" the sub by taking high does of other opiates you will be at risk of overdose.

This post has been edited by The Silent Partner on June 9, 2007, 5:04 AM

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here
Posted: June 9, 2007, 12:50 PM

I was put on a course of subutex becuase I had been on oral morphine for so long. Advil does nothing to help. I should mention I was in the recovery room for five hours tryin to get the pain under control and it was the only time I wanted to stay in hospital because I was afraid of what would happen at home once the pain meds wore off. I am at the end of my rope. I read in the literature that came with the sub that it is a partial agonist and as hoping the norco would help fill the receptors the sub does not.
Posted: June 9, 2007, 4:06 PM

You can always call a pharmacist.

I am sorry I just do not know if it would help or not.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Posted: June 10, 2007, 3:41 AM

Sub is partial agonist and partial antagonist.. it will block the norco.

--------------------
So I didn't.

Posted: June 10, 2007, 6:22 PM

Hi guest!

I would definitely consult the professionals on this one. I can tell you that I recently broke a bone while taking sub...I was give a shot at the hospital for pain. I felt no effects from the Demerol...it did ease the pain somewhat...or it could have been a "placebo" effect. I was off the sub for 4 or 5 days and took vicodin for pain.

You must absolutely be in mild to moderate w/d before going back on sub if this is what you and your doctor think is best.

Sorry that you are in so much pain. Its not fun to I know....I would consult your doctor before doing anything. Sub is NOT a drug to be played with.

In my experience...I don't think that I got all that much pain relief from the vicodin and found that prescription strength Motrin really helped and I take it often for the pain that I still endure.

Keep us posted as to what your outcome was....and good luck!

This post has been edited by kee kee on June 10, 2007, 6:23 PM

--------------------
LIVE....LAUGH...LOVE...LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!!
Posted: June 11, 2007, 3:22 AM

Hi Siletn Partner. I misunderstood. I thought suboxonne is a partiall antagonist and subutex is the partial agonist to prevent abuse via injection. I also thought subutex leaves the door (in their words) partially open to block the euphoria some people feel on opiates. Is this why the pain component does not work?
Posted: June 11, 2007, 4:17 AM

The active drug in both Subutex and Suboxone is buprenorphine.

Bupre is both partial agonist and partial antagonist.

Suboxone also has Narcan added to prevent people crushing up and injecting the tabelts.

--------------------
So I didn't.

Posted: June 12, 2007, 1:37 AM

is the an amount of subutx which would provide pain relleif? Is 8 mg. per day enough? Is there anything else that would help?
Posted: June 12, 2007, 10:09 PM

Bupe is prescribed for pain in transdermal patches at 5-20 MICROgrams, so 8mg is enough however it does not provide effective pain relief for all types of pain and in all people.

You could investigate some other options like regional blocks, strong anti-inflammatories, cortisone injection (had this, very effective).

--------------------
So I didn't.

Posted: June 12, 2007, 10:53 PM

My husband has a spur on the ligament (sp) in his thumb. The doctor gave him one cortisone injection and the pain went away. Give it try.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
Posted: June 19, 2007, 8:35 PM

BROOK,
YOU SAID YOU GOT OFF SUBOXONE. WOULD YOU SHARE WHO AND WAS IT BAD?
THANKS
BOBBY
Posted: June 19, 2007, 10:28 PM

Hey Bobby, it wasn't pleasant, I was on it a year.

I went down to the smallest piece possible meaning immeasurable amounts of subutex.

The key for me was to decrease the dose, level off, (I listened to my body) then dropped again. Take every other day, then every three days and so on. If I felt a need to take a minute piece if the anxiety was more than I was willing to deal with, I took it. This took some time but I was willing to do this. It taught me patience, not one of my better qualities.

I did take comfort meds prescribed by the same addiction doctor that put me on the subutex. He was very strict in what and how many of anything he gave me.

Suggestion, let your doctor in on what you are trying to do.

--------------------
Brooke
brook_shire@yahoo.com
  top of page  Top