What Is Addiction?

Posted: August 12, 2009, 2:04 AM
What is addiction? Addiction is the result of abuse. In addition, abuse is the imbalance of how you live. Too much of anything creates an imbalance.

We are all addicts of some sort, with some addictions being more sociably acceptable than others.

Part of the problem lies within the derogatory attitude people have towards the sociably unacceptable addicts. They are labelled and pushed aside, or shoved into rehab centres.
Whether rehab treatment is successful or not is questionable.
Even though individual rehabs stats show that the success rate is high; this is not accurate at all.

The problem in getting accurate stats lies with the following fact:
• People leave a rehab, have a relapse, and then very seldom go back to the same rehab. They make use of another rehab, leaving the first rehab declaring false statistics, showing close to 100% success rate.

I base all my findings on my personal experience and that of my research of six months at S.A.N.C.A. Florida, South Africa. I do not believe that you can guide people to their own truth if you have not experienced this yourself.

Then there is the false notion that the counsellors, social workers or therapists are doing an excellent job with the rehabilitation program. Most in-patients at rehabs do not have the slightest notion as to why they even started using drugs, alcohol, or both.

So, herein then the answer to what addiction is and where it comes from:

As I have already stated; addiction is only an imbalance of a person’s lifestyle.

I come from an abusive childhood, where my father was drinking too much, by far, and as a result, physically abused my mother, my younger brother, and myself to such an extent that we hid and slept in other peoples’ gardens many a night, for fear that my father would shoot us with my eldest brother’s army rifle.

We always had domestic violence of some degree, for as long as I can remember. To the extend t that we were labelled by the neighbours. Friday nights came and we knew the neighbours would call the police to come to our rescue. My sisters were thrown out of the glass doors many times. The example I received of how a father and husband should behave was not the ideal one, yet the only one. I was not exposed to other families and how other fathers and husbands treated their families, because we were labelled, and kids did not invite us to their homes, out of fear.

As an adult, I lived the example I got from my father and saw nothing wrong with my behaviour at first. I am a good person of soft nature and mean nobody any harm. This is similar to wife beaters. At first, a man will just push his wife, then slap her, then with a closed hand and maybe draw blood, and so it becomes progressively worse.

This post has been edited by moderator on August 12, 2009, 6:30 PM

--------------------
Andre Brink

Minister of Metaphysics.

fullcircle@wol.co.za

http://www.afullcircle.org

Mobile: 072 299 5756

Workshop and Talk Bookings:

http://www.asktheuniverse.co.za/afullcircle
Be the change you wish to see in the world Gandhi)
[COLOR=blue]If not now, when? If not you, then who?

Privacy Policyhttp://www.afullcircle.org/afullcircle-online-privacy-policy.php

Should you want to be removed from my mailing list please (send remove me)