post replypost new topic
Where Do We Go From Here?

Posted: June 27, 2015, 12:34 AM
My son is a heroine addict. he will be getting out of rehab soon and I am wondering "what now". We've been riding this roller coaster several years, this time he is not allowed to come home. He has burned so many bridges, there are no family members willing to let he stay with them either. I love him and want to help him be successful in recovery but Not in my home. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Posted: June 27, 2015, 6:13 AM
I am no expert, just a former user. It was always the same. People keep trying to be supportive and give you chances, but none of it makes you want to stop. I personally had to come to a point within myself, in my own time. I needed to be left alone to use in peace. Once I felt like no-one really cared whether I was using or not, it was like I finally had time to think about what I was doing. Eventually I realised I didn't want it in my life anymore.

I can't say how long it would take. I can't even say that that approach will work. But that's how it was for me. I just think you need to take the pressure off him, but at the same time set clear boundaries for yourself and your home. Anyway, I hope things work out for you guys. I really do.

--------------------
'considerate people don't trash bars'
Jost Sauer - Rebels Guide to Recovery

Posted: June 27, 2015, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. Other than living on the streets, What are the options for an addict for a place to live? Unfortunately we tried halfway houses ( they are full of drugs). Any suggestions?

Posted: June 28, 2015, 1:49 AM
I honestly don't know. I'm in Oz by the way. But I reckon he at least needs to be away from the people he knows in the drug scene. If he's serious about being clean that is. Damn I wish I had a better answer for you.

--------------------
'considerate people don't trash bars'
Jost Sauer - Rebels Guide to Recovery

Posted: June 28, 2015, 3:50 PM
Hi Gina - you could check out your local area or whatever area your son is to see if their are any sober living houses near by - he will have to agree to work a program of recovery to live there- i spent 3 months living in a sober house after coming out of rehab - it was a great help - your local AA / NA may be able to advise you about this or other options locally - all the best-

Posted: June 29, 2015, 10:48 PM
Thank You both for your suggestions. I know he has to want this, I feel like I'm trying to control this situation. I'm not. I just want a clear plan in place for him. I keep telling him and myself that I want this time to be the last time we climb this mountain.
post replypost new topic