post replypost new topic
Friend Of Prescription Addict Needing Advice

Posted: May 16, 2015, 1:32 AM
I am in desperate need of advice. I have a friend who is prescribed a whole bunch of medications, many of which she is abusing and misusing. Soma, xanax, fioricet, baclofen, to name a few. She is prescribed these and gets them from her doctor, but her doctor does not know that she uses up her entire month's worth of soma in a couple days while she lies in a stupor. She also drives while on these medications, sometimes with her children in the vehicle. To make matters worse, she is epileptic, doesn't take her medication correctly, and has been in multiple car accidents because of medication and seizures. It's way more detailed and ugly than that, but I'm going to keep it as basic as possible.

My question is: Since her doctor does not know that she is abusing the drugs she is being prescribed, is it appropriate or even possible for me to inform the doctor?

My friend's family is absolutely useless and won't do anything to intervene or help her with these problems. I am literally the only one who is trying to help her in any way. I am at a loss. I just thought it might stop the flow of medication to her if her doctor knows she is abusing.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: May 16, 2015, 5:23 AM
my advice would be to try and speak to her doctor or the chemist. I think your a very caring friend not many of us have someone like yourself, if her family are not going to support her at least she has a very special friend who will thank you for caring and your support. hope you get the help and support you need x

Posted: May 16, 2015, 3:43 PM
Hi Doublenut - i can understand why you are worried about your friend - she is a danger to herself and her children if she is caring for them while under the influence of this drug combination- it would appear that your friend may well be addicted to some/all of these drugs- however, if you report her abuse to her doctor she might well be less than happy- you will be cutting off her supply- perhaps you may not want to let her know it was you that brought her behaviour to the doctors attention. you may also encounter resistance from the DR - he is the one who has been prescribing these drugs- he may not want that fact to become common knowledge - he could be in trouble for not checking on her drug use and also for how long he has been prescribing these drugs without checking on her condition- i know you want to do the right thing and help your friend- but tread carefully is all i am saying- you could lose your friendship - then again perhaps this is a small price to pay if those kids are in as much danger as you have intimated- it may be worth calling social services or the local child protection agency if you are genuinely concerned for their welfare

Posted: May 16, 2015, 5:31 PM
Thank you guys. It is absolutely that serious. I am willing to lose the friendship entirely if it means that her children and everyone else on the road will be safe. I am not afraid of her anger and resistance. In fact, I expect it. I am, however, unsure of how the doctor will respond. Everything you said about that part I have considered. I don't know if there's a way to report it anonymously. If there was, I feel like that would be the best way to go about it.

Posted: May 17, 2015, 8:15 AM
Dear Double, She is abusing prescribed medications what I don't understand and I worked in a pharmacy for years is when you fill a prescription there is trail, in other words just because you fill it at one pharmacy it will show the other pharmacy that.....it'll show Mr Jones or whoever got Soma such and such dosage quantity filled at such and such pharmacy on this date...and especially when it comes to controlled substances ...I don't understand how she is getting them filled and how it is the pharmacy has not contacted the doctor and informed him of such. .. as far as the children if you feel they are in danger which clearly they are if she is operating a vehicle while under the influence you can always call child protective services and tell them your concerns....You cannot delay your actions as to do nothing will allow something to happen....Your friend is in need of a intervention and rehab.....As far as contacting the doctor you could express your concerns but he will.not discuss anything with you for the hipa patient doctor confidentiality is in effect....all you will be able to do would be to inform them of your concerns. ..but I am sure if such was to happen she'd move onto another clinic doctor or source. ..cps seems to me to be your best source as if you tell them what is going on they will look after the children and address her actions as a mother,and she will have to under go drug testing and be monitored. Also by reporting to cps it can be done without any disclosure of who reported the information.

This post has been edited by Christophers Mom on May 17, 2015, 8:23 AM
post replypost new topic