post replypost new topic
A Mother Which Perffers Drugs Over Her Own Kids

Posted: December 12, 2014, 4:38 PM
how can you help a addicted when she doesnt want to quit? Mi sister has being using drugs off and on with her husband but this year they have gone really bad to the point that they are getting agressive to each other and verbally abuse to their kids. They leave their kids at other houses and get drugged. She put her husband in jail for domestic violence when they both hit each other because she wanted drugs and he didnt want to give her. its being bad between them two now his in jail and she is drugging herself with other guys. We have talked to her many times my parents her kids and she says she is not quitting for nothing that her children are dead for her. This past months my mom told her to leave the kids there for good ith her. she is willing to sign out the kids custody to my parents instead of quit on drugs. My parents dont know where to start? can anyone advice please?

This post has been edited by zebrz on December 12, 2014, 5:20 PM

Posted: December 12, 2014, 6:32 PM
Your sister is an addict. She is sick. Unfortunately the love of the kids or other loved ones will not make them quit. Right now the best thing would be to get those kids out of that environment. Don't use the kids as a pawn to try and make her get help.
Your sister has to decide if and when she will seriously get the help needed.
It is a sad situation but you don't have to be pulled into it. The families can get help for themselves at outpatient counseling and there is also Alanon for support. Alateen and Narateen are also support groups growing in numbers for the kids of addicted loved ones.

Good luck.

Posted: December 15, 2014, 2:03 PM
Zebrz,
I am so sorry you are having to go thru this. Dawn is right, you need to get the kids away from her to keep them safe. She cant take care of herself much less good care for them.

I got legal guardianship of my grandchildren 3 years ago who were 14 at the time. Their parents divorced, mom has MS and it was better for them to be here with us to go to school and there was neither parent was situated well. The kids love it here as they spent a lot of time at my house anyway.

I went to Legal Aid and they helped me get custody of the kids. I live in California so where you are may be different but you'll have to ask. Call them and see. We applied in October and it was final in December. Our schools let them enroll while it was going on , we just showed them we had applied. We went to court twice I think and it was done in a matter of minutes.

Good luck. Those kids need you and your family to give them a normal childhood away from the confusion, inconsistency, craziness and danger of being raised by an active addict.

granny

--------------------
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH LOVE MY HEART COULD HOLD UNTIL SOMEONE CALLED ME GRANDMA.

STOP AND LISTEN TO THE BIRDS SINGING IN THE TREES. WHEN THE BIRDS ARE SINGING EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS OK.[FONT=Courier][FONT=Arial]
post replypost new topic