post replypost new topic
My Gf Is Addicted To Weed At 45 Yrs Of Age

Posted: August 25, 2014, 4:17 PM
My girlfriend has a serious addiction to her weed. I have never known anyone that can smoke like this girl. We were driving home last night for being out of town and she fired a bowl up. Hate to say it, but i counted how many times she hit that pipe. In about 10 minutes, she hit it 22 times. Not huge tokes, but none the less, 22 times??? Her tolerance is off the chart. Maybe not the best weed ever, but i would probably get wasted off 2 hits. The problem is this, she has to go into a bad area to get the stuff. Talking about Memphis, Tn. OK.. About twice a week. She does not have good judgement because she has to have it. No matter what. When she is out, she is impossible to get along with, and will stop at nothing to get it. A lot of times she will have already had way too much to drink before she heads out and it's clear across town. She can't get a new job because in her line of work, she will be drug tested, therefore, she won't try. But b****** about the crappie job she has all the time. I feel it has destroyed our relationship of 3 years. I am so tired of this. I get mad at her and call her crackhead because that's how she acts with this stuff. A true pot junky..Needing some advice please. Don't want to end the relationship but not going to go on like this for ever either..She can't afford her own place. Can't move back home. All her belonging are here in my house and it would be a huge ordeal for her to have to move out. God, what have i gotten myself into..

Posted: August 26, 2014, 7:50 AM
Hi there

I would just like to say that I smoked for years and I quit it quite easily. Your girlfriend sounds like she is unhappy and that is why she is smoking so much. Grass is not physically addictive, it is a psychological addiction. Her body and mind is used to being in a state of euphoria from the weed and that is really where she needs to break the habit. She must want to stop! If it helps she can ask her dr for some valium to take the edge off and then just keep herself busy for a few days. When I lived in the US, I needed to do a drug test as I am from South Africa where smoking is considered normal for many. I exercised and drank lots of water and cranberry juice. I was clean for a month and passed my urine test. The problem with excessive smoking is you lose your drive and become almost lazy. But, I can guarantee that after a week of not smoking she will look back and be horrified. One should not judge an addict, it is a form of escaping, whether it is emotional stress or anxiety, we tend to turn to drugs to help us through. Even sugar is an addiction! Just support her and love her. xxx

Posted: August 26, 2014, 9:35 AM
Hi there,

I just read your post. My ex partner and I had a similar problem, I was the user she sis not touch anything. Yes I agree it takes a huge toll on your relationship. As mentioned in the above post it is a mental addiction and she needs to take the step in wanting to stop. Try find out why she is so unhappy and where you both can go forward. Try find a medium and work from there. If she is not willing to meet you half way then only you can make that choice on where the relationship goes. Love her be there for her, yet try find out her triggers and what makes her want it. If you need any advise other then a bit that I have touched on my email address is reneelovell9@gmail.com I will try and help as and where possible. I smoked for quiet a few years, it does make you another person all together she needs to see it. Hope this helps, you sound like a great guy and keep your head up.

Posted: August 26, 2014, 10:45 AM
I appreciate the comments. I'm trying to take a different approach. I have been pretty much attacking her on the subject because i am so frustrated. I basically told her this morning in a text that i will stop criticizing her about this but i was not going to try to go forward with the relationship if she did not try to quit. I told her i would be there for her if she is wanting to quit but it is was up to her and her only. The ball is in her court and i am going to start the process of moving on with my life if nothing changes. I'm afraid this is not going to be good.

Posted: August 26, 2014, 3:16 PM
At least you were honest with your feelings. I really hope she thinks it through and does it for her as if she does do it to try save the relationship it usually isn't long till you on the same road. Be patient for her answer and try not put her in a corner for an answer. Give her some time I really hope it all works out for the best.

Posted: August 28, 2014, 7:29 AM

I think it's great you have been honest with her and it is important to try with all your strength to guide her through the other side. Many of us have been there, and lots of us didn't do it quietly - kicking and screaming and almost losing the ones we love. But with all our unity we can get through. It is a slow process and you have a long road ahead but I hope that it all works out for the best. I just came across this 'Road to Recovery' map which offers steps to take and you can try and visualize how you will be feeling and how your relationship will grow in strength at each stage perhaps? I hope it helps! Let us know how you get on.

Follow the Road to Recovery

Posted: August 28, 2014, 9:43 AM
I can not see her going into a recovery program. Her sister on the other hand had no choice. Much more serious addiction but none the less, she has made a great recovery. And a brand new spark to the world. So proud of her. But my girlfriends communication skills are very weak to say the least. About the only way we communicate is by text on most anything serious. Sad but true. She will normally just start a fight when anything needs to be addressed and walk away. So frustrating. I think if she would talk to some other people, it might help, but who? Its like, i wish i could set something up privately and just have her listen to someone's story about how bad the addiction to pot can be and all the luggage that comes with it and how much better life is without it. Maybe she would think it was meant to be that she ran in to someone that was where she is. Does that make since? I did promise her i was going to get off her case and she actually responded, Of course this was in some text messaging.., and she let me know she here's what i'm saying, or she was listening. Thanks for the responses and advice ya'll..
post replypost new topic