post replypost new topic
Mom Doesnt Seem To Care That Im Clean

Posted: July 23, 2014, 11:39 PM
My mom doesnt seem to care much that im clean and changing my life. It makes me feelbad.

Posted: July 27, 2014, 3:27 PM
You really became clean for yourself right? I am a mom and my son is coming home from rehab today. I am scared of him relapsing. And I have to admit, I have to learn to trust him again. I am sure your sobriety is the best gift you can give your mom and yourself. She may be protecting herself from getting hurt. You even showing your concern for her feelings shows what a caring person you are.
I have been to too many funerals for friends of my sons, my niece, kids who have overdosed and I can tell you these packed funeral homes held a ton of people who cared. I just wish the person in the casket knew . Keep your chin up and keep on keeping on you have a lot of people who care and are very proud of you! Go to na and aa meetings and you will see. I am giving you a hug right now.

Posted: August 6, 2014, 10:23 PM
Pacer -

A little perspective...

A blind statement about your mom not caring doesn't tell us much. But! If your looking for a pat on the back...?

I got news for you, and this one kills me; I once heard a recovering addict say, "well, I'm paying rent and putting food on the table for the family", as if to say, hey, "I'm doing something special".

Responsible adults don't need a pat on the back to take care of their children. It's just what they do.

So, if your mom seems apathetic, it could be because that's what she's expected all along.

And, good for you!!! by the way! :-)

Posted: August 28, 2014, 6:49 PM
Fantastic job!! Well done!!

Your mum probably cares more than you will ever begin to imagine but she might be scared to show it, just in case things change back again, your mum probably has no idea how to talk to you about your drug use or what to say she's probably scared that if she brings it up you might be reminded of it and think about relapsing. As the long term girlfriend of a heroin addict I know that I worry that bringing it up to him might cause him to think about heroin, want heroin, because I've gone and put it in his mind!

Alternatively your mum may feel that being clean is something you should be anyway, not something you have achieved. I know this sounds harsh but I'm just being completely honest as I feel that way too sometimes. It's anger towards the drug and the stupidity of your loved one taking it and thinking it was a good idea. It's hard to praise someone for doing what we've always done as sober people.

I hope this makes sense and hasn't offended anybody as it was most certainly not intended.
post replypost new topic