post replypost new topic
Help
desperate mom

Posted: July 22, 2014, 8:17 PM
I am so done and exhausted. ..my son once again is baxk on heroin and this time I really dont think I can do it...my life has been hell for the last 10yrs and now again he is stealing and lying and abusive...somebody plz tell me how to do this again and help him to stop the relapse cycle..I am so tired my family is done I am all he has left and I cant do it alone...

Posted: July 23, 2014, 6:14 AM
If your son is back on drugs again, you cannot stop him....your exhaustion proves it. It is not your battle to fight. It gets to the point where he must take on the consequences of his actions, and the responsibility for his drug habit. Give him ownership of the problems he has created.

Lying, stealing, and abusive behavior go hand in hand with addiction. By continuing to allow him to abuse you, you are giving him "permission" to run you ragged. You can have tremendous grief over his addiction, but cannot put yourself into the ground over his actions.

I'm sure you have family members that need you, and if you don't take care of yourself, you will not be there for them. It's not fair that we sacrifice our whole family over the actions of addicts, in spite of how much we love them and want them to get well. We can't save them if they don't want to save themselves.

Please seek therapy for yourself or go to Alanon meetings to strengthen yourself. Addicts can suck the life out of you if you let them. He may be a prisoner of his addiction, but you don't have to be "locked-up" with him.

Posted: August 29, 2014, 8:57 PM
Hey Hun,

I know what your feeling but in my experience ten only way up and out for addicts is rock bottom. They seem to have to reach an all time
Low on their own. When they hit that low they seem to think it's time to change and when they want it themselves they get clean and more likely to stay clean. In my experience anyway. Be cruel to be kind. Best of luck xxxxx

Posted: August 31, 2014, 8:37 AM
Hi I hope I find you in better feelings than when you posted. I am sorry you are experiencing this with your son. If your going thru this, especially because he has become abusive my advice is to call the police and have him arrested for the violence and theft. I say this as a recovering addict who was placed in jail for similar reasons, though never violence. Jail was a huge wake up call for me in that I learned how far the consequences of my actions could reach. It is not your job to make your son quit. I urge you to be there for him when he chooses to quit and will need a support, but until then there is not much you can do to change his behavior. Do not give him access to your home or yourself and make sure that if he hurts someone that the appropriate actions are taken. Please feel free to come back for support we will be happy to help you thru this difficult time. Stay strong and God Bless you and your son.
post replypost new topic