post replypost new topic
Angry, Abusive, Addicted. What To Do?
Julius Dawson

Posted: May 29, 2014, 1:55 AM
My 14 year old brother has become very angry over the past few months, as well as very abusive. He randomly hits me his 19 year old brother, for absolutely no reason. His reason, and only reason is "Disrespect." Now this wouldn't be a problem for most older brothers but here's the catch, he is a boxer, strong as a bull(pushes our dad on the ground, mind you our dad is over 200 pounds.) Now, he has a very strong addiction to Pot, or Marijuana or whatever you call it. He probably smokes 3-4 bowls a day along with a couple joints. He has lost all motivation in going to school, boxing, and doesn't leave the house or cook for himself. He has NO self-motivation. My parents see all this and he disrespects them by swearing at them, disrespecting them in every way you could think. He has so respect for anyone really and its hard for me to sit back and do nothing. So I don't know what to do anymore. I am tired of being scared walking into the same room as him, getting beat up, him disrespecting everyone in the family. What should be done in this case, and what has worked for you? Please do let me know! Thanks so much!

Posted: June 1, 2014, 8:31 AM
How old are you Julius? Is there a family member, or friend, or another adult that you can reach out to in order to find a safe place to stay? Are there any other children in the family who are in danger from your brother's actions?

Your 14 year old brother can be arrested for assault. You have every right to call 911 and get the police involved when he is shoving or hitting someone. No one should take this kind of abuse and not do something to stop it.

Why are your parents taking all his abuse and violence? Are they bullied and afraid of him? They can contact the police and file charges against him. Drugs, truancy from school, and domestic violence are certainly enough to get him declared a danger to the family. They can go to court and have him put into a youth home or program for delinquent children. He sounds like a kid who has severe problems that simple discipline in the home cannot handle.

If you are in school and underage, go to your school counselor and report this abuse. By law, teachers who are informed of domestic violence must report this to either the police or Child Protective Services.

You are not powerless, even if your parents continue to tolerate his violence. If there are other kids in the family, they need protection too. You can do something by reaching out to the police, teachers, or others who can help. Don't be a victim, even if your parents don't protect the family from your brother, there are people who can help.
post replypost new topic