post replypost new topic
Teenage Son Ticking Weed

Posted: May 18, 2014, 6:27 PM
Hi all, I've just found this group whilst searching the internet for information to help my 19yr old son.

I'm hoping that someone can help me understand what I can do to help my son. He has a weed problem and ticks to get weed. As a result of this he has no electrical equipment, has sold 3 iphones, xbox, playstation, etc.. he has no decent clothes anymore. He recently went missing for a few days, then returned with his face smashed in. His bank kept calling saying there had been multiple attempts to get funds. I think the people he owes money to had him but he won't tell me anything.

I have to lock all the doors in my house because he has stole anything of value. I've had dodgy people coming to the house looking for him.

He has not had a job since leaving school, refuses to do his theory test or take a driving lesson, he won't even look at the theory book the only time he goes out is to get weed. If I try to talk to him he gets really aggressive and shouts me down.

Does anyone know what I can do, what should I do to help him? what is going on with it all I just don't understand why he is doing this? I thought to get help from the doctor but if he's not willing what can I do. He can't be happy living like this? I just don't get it. Can anyone shed any light on what this ticking is all about?

Thank you

Posted: May 20, 2014, 10:30 AM
I have never heard of ticking weed. If by weed you mean marijuana... then he might be telling you that so you don't know what he is REALLY into. Kids think parents won't think weed is as bad as other drugs.

People who smoke weed usually aren't so desperate in their behavior to get weed... meaning.. going to all the lengths you describe to continue to smoke weed. Again... don't know what ticking is... never even heard that term. In my experience, they usually don't sell or pawn all their electronics including their own phone for a weed fix.

Unless they are using or selling weed in HIGH quantities. Usually there won't be unsavory people coming around or kidnapping him for days at a time.

I may be completely wrong here.... but this sounds like he may be using a different drug all together. His behavior you describe sounds like either a heroine, crack or meth addiction.

Addicts on those drugs will often disappear for days at a time and sell and or do anything to get those type of drugs. Heroine is a physically and mentally addicting drug and crack and meth are mentally addicting once you use. The physical drive to continue to get more and more crack or meth is only present when you are ON the drug (also true of cocaine). Thus why people go on 3 day binges to STAY high on those types of "up" drugs. Meth, Crack, Cocaine binges will keep you awake for as long as your body can handle the amounts you are putting in. Eventually, the body will take over, exhaustion sets in and the person will fall asleep; usually after 3 days of staying awake. Once they get sleep and food, and stop using meth or crack at that time... they can usually behave until they start the process all over again. Often times... they don't have much down time in-between use binges... if any.

If by ticking weed... you are speaking of some all together different drug than marijuana.... then I don't have any experience here. Hope this helps and I didn't misunderstand what you where talking about.

Good luck. Now I'm going to have to google ticking weed.

Posted: May 21, 2014, 8:20 PM
Hi djbear,

Years ago I used to smoke weed with my then boyfriend and at times he would have to get weed on tick which just meant getting weed without paying for it, thus owing money. "ticking weed". Back then my partner could only get up to $150 of weed on tick. They would then not give him anymore until he payed his debt so he would end up giving them house hold stuff to pay off his debt.

That is the only insite I can offer on this. It is probably way off base but that is all I have.

Posted: July 2, 2014, 4:00 PM
Just quit weed today and it is hard because I have such an easy access to it by ticking it, because it is so easily available to him he gets it without thinking of consequences until the time to pay comes then he will stress till it's paid and go back to square one, I really don't know how you could help him unless he wants to help himself, I have sold things for weed I'm
Not proud of it but I have. It is possible he is doing a bit of cocaine but only if it was offered to him because he can't afford it because he smokes too much weed, maybe try speaking to him a different way don't just go direct at the approach try make him realise how much he is ruining his life you need to help him help himself suggest things to try with him, because in the long run he is just going to become a lone and not feel like he can connect with anyone and it will keep him on a long and bad cycle of smoking weed, tell him he if goes clean for so long there will be rewards maybe a new game or something that peaks his interest, try figure out his triggers for smoking weed but don't ring the police on him that will just banish the trust he has for you. I wish you and your son the very best of luck and my thought are with you both.
post replypost new topic