next >  post replypost new topic
Air Duster
Last Child

Posted: July 16, 2005, 8:37 PM
Hi, I'm 17 and have a question about the use/abuse of computer air duster. This might turn out to be a fairly long post, so I apologize. Let me just briefly say that I'm not very "experienced" with drugs; I drink, as most people my age do, and I've done pot once. However, I'm paranoid by nature, and lately I've been reading up on the dangers of inhalants.

Please, no lectures. I know it's never a good decision to huff, but I did. I don't have a problem, but I know that one could develop with extended use, which is why I stopped huffing. I did it about three or four times, however, and now I'll sometimes end up worrying myself literally to tears.

See, I've got a good social life and great friends, but I also really value my grades and my overall intellect. Writing is my life; it has been since the 3rd grade, and I'm scared to death that I've already caused severe damage to my memory and reasoning skills.

In short, I know it sounds trivial compared to what could have happened to me, but...am I getting dumber, or will I? I don't want to lose my vocabulary or start failing out of math (yeah, paranoid and a nerd, I know). Of course I've seen a lot of websites warning about the dangers of inhalants, and I'm not saying these dangers don't exist, I absolutely know that they do. Still, I'd like an unbiased opinion on what's truly happened to my brain and what could happen in the future. Any replies would be appreciated.

Posted: July 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
honey, you are really hurting yourself...stop the inhalants, they will kill you and yes they will make you stupid...

I am an IV cocaine addict and I have gotten dumber because of it...and i only used heavy for about 14 months...

I am going to bump up a post from a girl that is addicted to inhaling nail polish remover, maybe something that is in this long, long post may ring a bell...

i will be glad to talk to you, though i only did inhalants once, i used "Pam" the cooking spray, and it scared me enough that i never used it again, but then again my choice of drugs escalated and got me to cocaine.

I hope you haven't read my reply to andnn, because i have gotten a little bit "tough" with her, I really am a nice person, I am just upset that this person doesn't want to DEAL with her addiction, she thinks she can quit, just using someone on the internet to talk to her and have her check in with them...it's about a ludicrous and lame as you get.

anyway, like i said, i am always willing to try to offer some experience, strength and hope

love and {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Janet

okay sweetie, i bumped up the nail polish remover thread, i hope that you learn something from it

This post has been edited by bumpsnomore on July 16, 2005, 11:33 PM

--------------------
Somedays it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

InNeedOfHelp

Posted: July 18, 2005, 2:16 AM
Have u used again?

Posted: July 18, 2005, 2:24 AM
Last Child. I am a nurse and have worked in a children's hospital for 21 years. This hospital also includes the care of young adolescents.

Apart from the fact that inhalants cause deaths, they cause brain damage. Slowly but surely you will kill off parts of your brain that effects memory (short and long term), speech, hearing, cognition, creativity, balance, personality etc. Within 12 months there will be noticable changes in your brain.

I am not into using scare tactics so I will just tell you that I have seen scores of previously intelligent and promising young men and women become incoherent shells of their former selves due to irreversible brain damage from inhaling chemicals.

I hope this helps your decison-making process.

good luck and best wishes to you
Sean

--------------------
A Buddhist Lama once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.

Get Help for Codeine Addiction Here
InNeedOfHelp

Posted: July 19, 2005, 12:16 AM
Ive been using for a lot longer than 12 months and I dont c a difference at all.

Posted: July 19, 2005, 12:20 AM
you dont see the changes in your brain? when was the last time you were in there and had a look... go and get an MRI and then tell me that there are no changes.

--------------------
So I didn't.

Posted: July 19, 2005, 12:26 AM

Image 1, 25 year old inhalant abuser.
user posted image
The scan shows diffuse, severe changes in cerebral white matter (center), which normally appears black on MRI. The fuzzy outline of the white matter suggests abnormal water retention.

Image 2, 28 year old inhalant abuser
user posted image
The scan shows bilateral changes in the thalamus (two dark black ovals), normally gray and white, and suggests iron deposition.

Read this one article there are dozens just like it.

This post has been edited by The Silent Partner on July 19, 2005, 12:27 AM

--------------------
So I didn't.

Posted: August 3, 2005, 10:44 AM
Last Child,

I don't know if you are still around the board these days but I will tell you a little of my experience. I abused inhalants for quite some time in my sophomore year in high school. I, too, love to write and I used to write poetry alot. I remember sitting down one day with a pen and paper and, something that had once come so easy for me, just wouldn't happen anymore. I lost my ability to think and feel as I wanted. It is VERY serious. My mom ended up sending me to rehab. When she first told me I was going I thought, "Those people are just going to laugh at what I do. So what...she inhales this or that. It's not like she's a cokehead or anything." Well, they did not laugh. They were very agressive with me. After I got out, I attended AA meetings and stayed sober for about 6 months.

To make a long story short, I am now 33 years old. I went from abusing inhalants to abusing alcohol and now to abusing pain pills. I was toying with the idea of trying heroin. Thank god it didn't have to go any farther. I am on only my 3rd day clean right now and it has been one hell of a fight. But I am working at it and it is getting better.

So whether or not you have done damage to your brain, I couldn't tell you. But I will tell you that it is nothing to play with. Many people have died the VERY FIRST TIME they tried it. And just because you didn't die the first time, it doesn't mean you won't die on your 50th time. If you can't quit on your own, please talk to somebody you trust and get some help. Don't wait until you are my age and feel like you have wasted half of your life!

--------------------
user posted image
Jodi

Posted: August 4, 2005, 4:39 AM
Please see the story under gen/misc category about "what is air" and there's a guy who just lost his son to Air Dusting...very powerful/sad story....he is a cop married to a nurse who lives with a drug dog so he felt safe..like no drugs could even enter his home, but he had no idea about huffing the Air...please read....CAS.

Posted: August 5, 2005, 1:18 PM
MY FRIEND JUST SENT ME AN EMAIL ABOUT HOW THIS DAD FOUND HIS SON DEAD FROM HUFFING AIR DUSTER. KILLED HIM AS SOON AS HE INHAILED. DO NOT DO THIS! IT IS NO JOKE.

Posted: August 17, 2005, 8:10 PM
Ok..I am lost ..What is huffing Air Dust..is it huffing gas and paint? chemicals? I am asking because I never heard that phrase before in my life, Heck I just learned about what meth and crank is just almost 3 years ago..I never done this stuff so I know nothing about it. I want to know because my son is 13 years old..and its important to know what your kids are talking about. If it should ever occure, and its important to talk to my son about it..for him to be able to recognize these names incase it was ever offered..He will know because we talked about it
Thank You P.S and whats the computer thing she is talking about? I am lost!

This post has been edited by snowbird73 on August 17, 2005, 8:13 PM

--------------------
Snowbird73

Posted: August 17, 2005, 9:07 PM
Hi, snowbird, kids inhale from aerosol cans. There is an aerosol (spelling) can that blasts air to get the dust out of your computer keyboard and the kids have discovered inhaling it gets them high..also nail polish remover etc etc. There's also a new fad (which isn't that new cause I remember kids doing it when I was in school) where you strangle yourself until you just about pass out...been on the news a lot lately. I know I know..more to worry about.

Posted: August 17, 2005, 9:13 PM
Wow heartache..I can honestly say..what I would do woithout ya :)
Thanks for explaining it to me...Thats just awful!
Whats next..I really hate to even know, And that computer stuff is really new to my ears..thats really sad.

This post has been edited by snowbird73 on August 17, 2005, 9:17 PM

--------------------
Snowbird73

Posted: May 28, 2012, 8:12 PM
The Silent Partner, if you're still around (or if anyone else knowledgeable on the issue reads this), can you tell me how one recovers from inhalant abuse (specifically air duster)?

I'm desperate. It's been a long time since I've abused it, but I used to be the most intelligent person in my class with a 160+ I.Q. score. Now it's diminished to 117, the last time I took one. That's horrible for my standard, and in comparison it looks even worse.

I now have trouble holding a conversation, I've lost almost all creativity, which absolutely kills me as I was an aspiring guitarist and songwriter prior to my air duster binge. I lost almost all emotions, and I just wanted to be high on something constantly. My memory is now shot, and just... ugh, I'm rambling, but it hurts terribly. Is there a possibility of me ever going back to my old, outgoing, brilliant, witty, funny, fun, confident self? The way I feel right now, I'd be better off dead.

Oh, and to the poster of this thread, I hope you are fairing well and staying away from this terrible stuff. Who would've thought the most damaging drug would be legal and terribly easy to obtain?

Thanks to anyone who can help or relate.
silverbackgurl

Posted: December 1, 2013, 11:09 PM
Nov 26, 2013 my fiance was found behind walgreens slumped over DEAD holding a can of computer duster. Please take this serious. One huff, or cans later the end result could be your last. A love that can never be replaced is gone!!!!!! Why? What was going through his mind? Did he suffer? Did he know?
Signed,
Lost love

Posted: August 14, 2014, 12:12 PM
Hi

Just a quick message. Can I get a C.T scan on my brain if i ask doctor to see if any damage has beeb caused?? I do have symptoms such as memory loss seeing things etc!

Cheers
Suspect

--------------------
GOD SAVE BASS GENERATOR records.
Nehe

Posted: January 6, 2015, 2:39 PM
I am an avid user.
25 yr old woman.
I used to do 7 cans in 1 week.
I did this for 3 months. I've done duster in years past but nothing As hardcore as this.
I will do it until I pass out. It gets black. This is what I think it will be like to die. Just total complete darkness. Sometimes I wake up thinking, why didn't I die. I'm supposed to. Sometimes it will feel like my brain is cracking while huffing and even a day after huffing. It literally feels like it's cracking, I can feel it. But I can't stop this addiction. I love the feeling of doing it. I love the trips. My favorite is when I feel like there is hot waxy blood running down my face and hands. It's awesome.
My lungs feel so full of poison but I can't stop. This is an addiction. I only stop when I feel it hurting my bank account.
UndaCovabrotha

Posted: February 18, 2015, 11:18 AM

Hey OP!

I'm 25 and abused inhalants when I was 17-18 off an on. People are trying to scare you straight on here, as they should.. it's serious stuff.

Here's an informative link that has a positive outlook towards the end.

http://www.theroadout.org/drug_info...ain_damage.html

I currently have a tough time with decision making, creativity, and work ethic.

That link up there suggests that the brain cells never die. However, since we've participated in abusing duster, we will have to work harder on honing our cognitive skills, wheras, others will just naturally improve and develope them. So yes, we're slower now but we aren't dead. I thought death was the ultimate consequence of duster until I lost my mind.

Keep an eye out for brain damage reversal therapy studies.

UndaCovaBrotha

Posted: February 18, 2015, 11:24 AM
OP is 27 now!
Lizard19

Posted: March 10, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hi I am an addict of huffing. I have been huffing for years now and I am only just starting to see the effects of it. I have muscle spasms in ny arms and legs I have bad memory. I also have had a near death experience from it. Its no joke I an trying to stop now. I would suggest stopping before you get to addicted. I hope this helps somehow.
post replypost new topic