post replypost new topic
Sleeping And Dreaming After Quitting
Taylor B

Posted: November 4, 2014, 5:37 AM
I chronically smoked weed for 9 years, since I was 13 years old, and am now 22 and doing my best to stop smoking. I am on day 8 of quitting, which has been the longest time without in over 5 years. I smoked nearly 5-8 bowls daily, over 2 grams a day.
I have do my best to stay very active during the day. I plan my day from the second I wake up till when I should be going to sleep; which leaves myself exactly 8 hours before my next day's activities. This has helped me so much to stay away from my triggers and keep my mind off of smoking. This has still been the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my live.

BUT The hardest part for my quitting has been night time. Even from day one, I've had trouble sleeping and it has so far only gotten worst. In addition I started having very vivid dreams which has made it even harder to sleep. I will spend a couple hours extremely tired in my bed but unable to fall asleep. Finally when I do, I have these very intense dreams that are either scary or violent. I wake up every 40 minutes to an hour throughout the whole night and usually find it hard to fall asleep again since my dreams are usually pretty disturbing.

I've been told that this is a side effect of my body getting used to sleeping without THC in my system. I have started to become so tired throughout the days. Today I had a day off of work and school and decided I would take a long nap in the day time. This did not help and all and I just woke up every 30 minutes with the same type of dreams. I am very scared if this continues I will ruin what I have been working so hard to do since I am become more and more tired each day and with that have started to even become emotional when I can't sleep. I tried Nyquil and this only made it worst.

Has anyone else experienced this or has any advice to help with this issue? I have considered
myself very lucky that I have not experienced many side effects other people have, but I need to figure out how to cope with this one. I need some advice of what I can do at night to help myself sleep better without smoking. Also would like to hear about anyone with similar experience while quitting. Is this normal? Also how long does this last, and is there anything I can do to help this problem?

I thank you in advance for any advice or information you could give me.

Posted: November 9, 2014, 9:24 PM
Your brain chemistry has been changed...it is firing off all kinds of signals now...and doesn't know what the heck is going on. That is the least scientific explanation. But truly it is your brain chemistry. It can take up to a year to fix itself...although it usually doesn't take that long. Stay stopped and it will eventually stop. Don't think you have to use again to stop it...although if you do...it will stop because that is the chemical path your brain is used to.
Its all scientific.

Posted: November 9, 2014, 9:26 PM
You also on top of it could be vitamin deficient..but I forget the vitamins that help repair the brain...I know they are B vitamins....cause in my head I have it stuck that the Bs are for the Brain...but if it is B12, B6 or B1...I'm not sure. I think it is B1...do some google and talk to a Dr. That may ease the symptoms a little bit..but you don't want to take too many vitamins either.
slim c

Posted: February 19, 2015, 7:06 AM
I have quit after smoking for around 9 years. I used to be an insomniac before I started smoking weed and I have ADHD. Weed always helped me stop my over thinking or anxiety at night. I have quit since I moved interstate and it had been a month now. Before I quit I cut down and would only smoke a few grams in a fortnight, but could also smoke a couple of grams in a sitting at times.
It has been a month since I have quit and I have had mood swings and unjustified resentment towards my loved ones and those close to me. Occasional bouts of pure rage, then instant changed to pure depression for no apparent reason! I have had trouble sleeping and I have had some scary dreams/nightmares that were insanely vivid. (i had only remembred a few dreams in my life before this) they were so terrifying and so clear.
I didn't really think weed withdrawal was a real thing, so I only just realized what was happening to me when I hadn't really eaten for the day before I saw my sister and she asked if I was stoned? This lead me to researching the topic and if your quitting weed and you fast or go on a crash diet THC can be released into your system from the fat cells where they are stored.
I am also active and regularly work out and bike ride and run.
I guess my main point is that your not alone
slim c

Posted: February 19, 2015, 7:11 AM
I do always feel better after a run. Its good for your body and mind. Yes it always sucks to start exercising after a while, but it gets easier and the payoff is so worth it.
Also as the previous replies said, getting more vitamins and/or improving your diet will help. I had forgotten how much support I had from family in my mood swings. Its worth making yourself remainders that you are not alone, even tho it can feel like it sometimes
post replypost new topic