post replypost new topic
Fioricet

Posted: February 1, 2016, 8:00 PM
Has anyone ever had an addiction to this prescription headache medication?

I am prescribed this medication for bad headaches. I do not abuse it and only take it when necessary, I take it especially during my time of the month, because the headaches are so bad, but otherwise, only when necessary.

My sister, was also prescribed awhile ago. She got addicted to these over the course of 6 years, and was getting high off them at one point. Her addiction was so bad, that she landed herself in the hospital weekly, and suffered from psychological effects. She started getting paranoid, hallucinating, and seeing/hearing things at one point. She used to warn me of all the "crazy" effects that the drug can do to someone. I never experienced it, because I never abused it, but found it weird that this could do this....

She researched so many things and found a lot on the internet, but nobody was aware of it, because there's so much talk about opiate and other drug abuse, that nobody knows the dangers of other medications out there. She loved it, it was a wonder drug to her. She knew she could never have it in her life again. She had awful withdrawals and had to be seen by a doctor, because if you suddenly stop taking this medication, you can have seizures and all kinds of crazy withdrawal symptoms. Like I said, she researched the internet and found all kinds of things, and warned me about it, because I have a prescription as well. This was about 2 years ago...

Now...doctors are more concerned about the growing number of addiction to this drug and are trying to take it off the market. It sucks, because for people who actually need it (like me, once in a blue for a bad headache), I'm not going to be able to have it. Doctors are starting to tell the stories of how the medicine has a very high tolerance with bad withdrawals, and a quick medicine to get high off of, and takes little time to develop dependence. They say it's highly addictive. My sister said "you don't have to get addicted to it, the properties will make you addicted without you even knowing it". I'm still not addicted, but for those who have heard of it, or haven't - be careful. There's a whole other side to this drug that I've never felt, but have seen from my sister abusing it.

Posted: May 16, 2016, 3:40 AM
Yep.....I had an addiction with this med fioricet. Originally a couple years ago, I was in rehab for benzo addiction and stayed clean for over a year. I was given this medication and at first not knowing it was even addictive which is my fault. As a recovering addict, I should of asked. I loved this headache medication. I have migraines and increased my dosage and realized I got a buzz which I loved! I thought no one would be the wiser.....until the drugs run out.....then you panic. I am clean now but I did have to go to rehab to detox from this drug.
I wish you and your sister the best. It's great that you educate yourself on this medication.....you are a step ahead of most people.

Posted: May 16, 2016, 9:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, it's a barbituate. Which is addictive

--------------------
" Many times I sought the lighthouse
The familiar beam in the dark
Looking for the comfort
Radiating from its spark;
Today I turn that inward
No longer am I the seeker
I am not just the lighthouse
I am the light -
And lighthouse keeper. "