post replypost new topic
Morphine Reduction At Day 2 Or 3 Causes Shakes

Posted: June 26, 2015, 4:17 PM
About 25 years ago I was placed on oxycontin 40 mg three times a day. I have Parkinsons disease, degenerative disks in the thoracic and lower back areas, constant muscle aches, as well as a flat panel complete body xray determined I have almost all joints with severe arthritis. The Oxy was to control the pain so I could get around and move. About five years ago I again was having severe pain so I returned to the pain clinic where I was placed on morphine sulfate xr 60 mg 3 times a day. I dont get a high from the meds just stops some of the more severe pain. My primary physician has started to close his office so I had to move to a clinic. They had a real fit that i was on 60 mg dose. Apparently they never prescribe more than 20 to 30 mg of morphine for pain control. They have gotten me an appointment at the pain clinic, but would not prescribe the 60 mg xr. They have given me 50mg xr three times a day. I have been going through withdrawal during the last 2 weeks. They have not given anything to help with this. Because of the Parkinsons about every 3 days I go into shaking so severe that my muscles throw me out of bed. Anything in the way will bruise me . crack ribs and leave black and blue spots all over. Also during this time as it continues I have taken my temperature in about 1/2 hour is 99.5, and at 2 hours 100.6. I have been able +to stop the attack with the next dose of morphine. My temp then returns to normal.
withdrawal is bad but since I have no choice I make it until the violent muscle flaying. I may be able to see the pain clinic before the new nurse practisioner. I know though the head of this family practise group will drop the morphine to 40 mg three times a day.
I really wish I could go off cold turkey but my wife is an Rn and says since I had seizures already that I could go into statis epilepticus and die. Hope this is the right board. If not could you place on the correct board. I am totally at a loss how to control the shakes and temperature. Oh i am 63 this July so I have had this since late 20's early 30;s after a bout of flu my Senior year in college which caused encephalitis. Would love to be off prescription pain med if all the craxy med problems could be controlled.

Posted: July 4, 2015, 11:31 AM
I am a medical professional and from what you are saying you definitely need medical assistance. DO NOT do it yourself please! It was bad enough what I went through getting off opana and I was on way small dose way shorter time than you. sounds like you need a very good and caring rehab if you really want off. Its no fun chasing that fix. Those Dr's don't tell you about that until they get you good and hooked. I will be thinking of you wishing for the best.
post replypost new topic