post replypost new topic
Doing It Alone

Posted: April 17, 2015, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am taking this step to ask you for some much needed guidance, support and wisdom.

My story is a little different to most people because I never started taking Nurofen Plus because of pain. When I was around 15 I smoked weed and took a hell of a lot of other drugs but I managed to clean myself up by 20 and had a good job eventually got married and 20 months ago had my first child. I struggled in the beginning, especially with finding the energy to just get up of the couch and I knew Nurofen Plus would give me a good boost. So after I finished breast feeding (1 year and 4 months ago) I started taking Nurofen Plus, and I took more and more and more, I always had a rule though, no more than a packet in a day (30) but since Feb this year some how I managed to go over that and now most days I take between 50 and 60. I have been trying for a long time to tapper of but I suck at it and have got nowhere.

Now tonight my husband and I had a massive fight, he has said that he is not my friend anymore and he hates who I have become and he said its because of the Nurofen Plus (he doesn't know how much I take he just knows I take a lot). He did not say he was going to leave me but he just kept saying he cannot start to like me again unless I get of that s*** because he thinks its making me aggressive, the problem I have is that all I want is for him to help me but he does not want to, he said it is my problem that I created so I have to fix it. I have told him I need someone that can be there for me when I am not coping, someone to cry on, but he has made it clear that he doesn't want to know anything about my mental state of mind or anything related to that (I have suffered from depression since I was 14 and my husband struggles to understand how it affects me and has no idea how to support me, and never really has because i think it hurts him too much) and he says I need to toughen up. So tonight I have decided its time I am going to taper down and fast, I love my husband and I want him to respect me and look up to me and think I am a strong person, I also want my son to think the same. I am ready to do this but I have no one to go to who I can vent to, or someone who is willing to listen or try and understand me or just offer some support. I was hoping by putting up this post I might get some guidance and wisdom from other people here and it will give me the strength to keep going when I am struggling with taper down. I don't have any friends that I trust enough to not judge me who I can tell and I am too ashamed to tell my family because they all look at me as the "mum who can do it all" and I don't want to let them down or make them worry about me.

My taper down plan is to cut by %50 for 2 days and then 25% every 2 days after, so should take a couple of weeks but I was hoping I could come here when I am struggling and chat to someone (or message) or just post and know I am not alone (sounds so corny, but its the truth)

I know you are all possibly thinking I may be some type of nutter looking for a friend lol but I really just want to set up a safeguard that will help me get through the hard times over the next couple of weeks so that I don't feel like Im so alone.

:)

Posted: April 17, 2015, 11:36 AM
Hi there ,

Your defo not a nutter , I know I came on here for the same reason , looking for people who understood what I was going through .

If uve read my story I was on 40 plus n+ before Chrisymas . I too had the one pack rule that went out the window . I started by buying only one pack a day do I didn't have anymore when I wanted them .

I'm down to 15 a day on a taper devised by Overthecount. If you google them you'll see for yourself what they offer in terms of support .

It's not been easy and I know for sure if I had control of my 'daily allowance' I would have completely failed by now .

There's lots of people on here who have flight various forms of addiction and won and they're the best ones to offer advise .

I am here though to listen to your vents and offer support . This site has been my saving grace on many occasions . Just writing down how you feel really helps .

Hope to hear how your getting on soon

Lots of love
Millie xxx

Posted: April 17, 2015, 11:44 AM
Ps my hubby is a bit like your in terms of understanding depression - only he will listen to me and has supported me through this taper .

Don't know if it would be worthwhile going to speak to your GP about the depression and the n+ first then take your hubby along .

If the GP is sympathetic maybe he would listen to him about depression and that it's never just a question of 'toughing up' . How easy that would be (:

Good luck
Millie xxx

Posted: April 17, 2015, 11:49 AM
I tried to taper many, many times only to fail. If the pills were around I always took them, so if it works out for you that's awesome. If not I suggest getting to a NA meeting. Lots of people there have been where your at and can help you more then a site on the internet. It takes courage to admit you have a problem so i'm glad you reached out for help. No need to feel ashamed of going to NA, it just might save your life. Your child needs a good mother and good mothers don't abuse drugs! Keep coming back!

Posted: April 17, 2015, 12:54 PM
I am in my final day of tapering and I keep this website up on my computer for support and reminding!!! Actually have pushed my last day up to this day...just finished delivering my extra pills to someone who will get rid of them for me! No More....you can do this. But, yes, seek NA or someone to support you if you feel you need it. Don't go alone if you have any doubt...but this board is amazingly helpful - I have lurked and finally got nerve to start posting only recently! AND please please please know that the withdrawal symptoms suck but they DO pass...they do ease...they do get better - I promise!!! Every minute you detox is a minute closer to recovering and you don't have to relive that minute of hell! I even have a graph showing the half life breakdown of my pills so I know where I am in my detox!!! Do what ever you need to make it work for you and your particular case. My hubby doesn't know anything about my situation; doing this on my own so I know your fear!
post replypost new topic