Co-dydramol
Posted: March 2, 2011, 1:54 PM

I feel I am really in need of help (and I have made an appointment to see my doc on Friday); For around 15 years now, I have been taking 6 co-dydramol per day and for the past 6 years 600mg of ibuprofen 3x day.
My brief history: lots of surgery on abdomen 20 something years ago, leaving me with considerable nerve damage to back and abdomen. It may sound bad, but I manage it okay.

The problem is, I am most certainly addicted to co-dydramol and no matter what I try and do, I get so far with reducing them and start all over again. The side effects I now have are worse than the original pain. I have ulcers in my gut and mouth, a sore tummy, confusion, anxiety etc.

I am really scared of what I am doing to my body and really need to believe in myself more to make a real effort.

Can anyone offer any advice, I would very much appreciate it. I feel really desperate and really want to stop taking them for good. I am going to ask my doc again on Friday, but I don't feel they are offering me enough support. They make it sound so easy, they should try and do it.
Posted: March 3, 2011, 11:58 AM

With your physical stuff I would really encourage you to talk to your doc. HONESTLY.

Don't sugar coat just because you're afraid of losing your source. You need serious medical intervention....in the mean time..are there NA or AA meetings close by? Do you have a family or friend that you trust? Keep writing here, it helps..

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.
Posted: March 4, 2011, 2:57 AM

thanks for your reply; you're right, you know, i've been taking these for 90 per cent of the time because they make me feel ok. They gave me energy to do what I needed to do each day and helped me feel relaxed. But the thing is when I have taken them to feel good and I can also feel them slowly destroying my insides, its awful - a bit like 'self harm', I think. (I've never spoke to anyone about this before!)

At the moment, my insides are really sore and I only have a small amount of intestines left (after having the rest removed); I can't afford to lose any more. When ever I eat or drink anything, I can feel my organs working so much harder and I feel so lethargic. Just taken the dog for a walk though! But, I had to drag my legs one in front of another. (I haven't taken any since 8pm last night)

Anyhow, I have an appointment at the docs this morning; so I am going to hopefully get some help. Thanks again for your advice.
Posted: March 4, 2011, 6:48 AM

ok, so I'm back from the doctors and she was very understanding; I've been addicted to codeine for 21 years, she said the effects I am having are not helping my body. I seem to have developed a sensitivity to them or allergic reaction or something. I asked her about AA and she said I may find them a bit 'holly'er than thou' - but she's not the one who feels like I do. I don't want to call her too much because she did listen and seemed to take on board everything I said.

So I am back home, my body aches all over; I feel like I have bad flu and my head is going to explode; I've had two bowls of porridge, loads of biscuits and now I feel really sick. The doc did say it would be a bad few days, but if I could get through that, I would feel better and healthier. I'm going to try and keep myself busy, but I actually want to sleep for a very long time.
Posted: March 4, 2011, 9:25 AM

Thwaipi, Codydramol (sp) is 1 drug I never heard of until today. I gues it is big in the UK & lower doses are sold OTC.

I quickly read thru the long term side effects on the body . The info I gathered on a couple sights seemed vague (or I read them too quick).

I want to get into a couple points you made. You have had chronic pain for a long time, U r taking 6 pills a day (I'm guessing as prescribed based on the fact that if u were taking more u would be short each month and often going thru wd's) plus u r taking ibupropen. You feel bad for 2 reasons: (1) you are harming ur body from the meds & (2) besides relieiving the pain the pills make you feel 'good.' You also believe ur pain is 'no big deal- you can handle it.

BEFORE I SAY WHAT I HAVE TO SAY I WANT TO STRESS THIS- I AM IN KNOW WAY TRYING TO TALK YOU INTO TO ANYTHING. You have had the courage to honor us by reaching out to us and asking for help and advice. There are many different good people in various stages of recovery (ranging from a desire to get clean to those who have lived a clean life of recovery for many years and thru working a program such as NA or something else, have learned to live life and be happier more fullfilled people then they ever had been-THAT INCLUDES EVEN BEFORE THEY STARTED USING.

These people are evidence to me that programs such an NA work. Your Dr. believes and informed u of a common misconception about NA (I think u said AA -but the same is said about NA>)) She said something about a puritanical or didactic attitude, or something like that.

Like anywhere, u might find some jerks or fundamentalists at some meetings. But that is not NA, that is about people with that kind of personalities. NA IS ABOUT 1 THING, RECOVERY. ADDICTS HELPING ADDICTS. Certain principals called steps are followed that lead to a life of recovery & a positive, good where you learn and become someone who is not simply drug free, but u learn to become the kind of person who is the kind of person u want to be.

NA is about life and freedom. Every single step you do is about you and ur interpretation of or actions as to what u do or don't do are up to you. NAis never about others telling u what u can or can not do. To be a part of NA only 1 thing is required, a desire to stop using.

(TO BE CONTINUED IN A BIT ON A FOLLOWING POST)

--------------------
Browndog113@yahoo.com

No matter what right you did or what wrong you didn't do: When you're the black sheep, all blame belongs to you
Posted: March 4, 2011, 10:38 AM

(CONTINUED FROM LAST POST)

I just re-read ur post and ur Dr said u might find them (AA people) as being a bit "holier then thou.'

THAT IS A COMPLETE MIS-CONCEPTION. You might come across a jerk or even a meeting with a bunch of jerks : BUT THAT IS THE EXCEEPTION.

If u run into somwonwlike that (or anyone u just don't like) SIMPLY DON'T BOTHER with them.
Never let someones personality interfere with ur recovery.

NOW TO MY SECOND POINT:

i think u might need to do a little research. It sounds to me like u have cronic pain & I am guessing it effects ur quality of life. I am a little confused by the actions of ur Dr. It is my understanding (SOMEONE CORRECT ME FACTUALLY IF I AM WRONG) MANY (maybe most) opiates , if taken as prescribed and u r not allergic to them) DO NOT HARM THE BODY (unlike alchohal which destroys it) when taken long term.

It could be the other stuff mixed in ur drug (i already forgot what it's called) that could be harming u. FOR EXAMPLE , too much acetaminopher (tylenol) is very bad for you. I think (check it out, I'm not 100% on this) that taking ibupropen every day can cause problems. It is possible u devoloped an allergy to codiene, but I think that is unlikely.

To me it sounds like there might be a very good chance that u need pain management, but it sounds like you need to switch meds. You can easily search the web and quickly learn the long term effects of various opiates and see if you find one more beneficial.

I think u will find this info will benefit u; for if u need to be on meds, it will be psychologically
beneficial to realize u r not harming urself with this.

I think you definitly need to call the Dr. and switch to a pain killer that is effective (so u don't have to top it off with ibupropen) and is safe for u.

At this point, while u are figuring out what to do, it is my opinion (and only my opinion) that u don't need to go thru the added torture of wd's. Take ur meds as prescribed (maybe cut down or stop taking the ibupropen) until u get less harmful and more beneficial meds.

If u decide that the apropriate action is to completely get off of any narcotic,u should get a medical detox. THERE IS NOTHING TO PREVENT U FROM GOING TO NA. i AM PRESCRIBED SUBOXONE (subtufex) for pain as well as part of my recovery (it makes it so other opiates wont work) and go to NA meetings.

I hope I was helpful to u. God Bless - I wish u the best.

Harry

--------------------
Browndog113@yahoo.com

No matter what right you did or what wrong you didn't do: When you're the black sheep, all blame belongs to you
Posted: March 4, 2011, 12:14 PM

Not a very smart dr if you ask me, that or she's been to AA herself and isn't ready to embrace recovery..usually the case.

When you feel a little better, find a meeting and go. You need that support and those people to help you through this. Get a list of phone numbers and then pick up the phone when you want to use or need to talk.

Good for you for starting this journey. HUGE.

--------------------
Posted: March 7, 2011, 8:39 AM

it's been nearly five days now since I took any co-dydramol and ibuprofen - god it's hard!
Firstly, I was in such a rush to get help, I came across this site and didn't realise you are not in uk; so, I hope it's okay for me to continue. Thanks for doing the research into these drugs, I realise they are not that well known.

Browndog113 - thanks for your support and comments. Since my first surgery on my stomach for digestive problems 21 or so years ago I have taken morphine, pethedine and all that addictive stuff. I got hooked and had real trouble getting off pethedine. Then, with the help of the Pain Clinic at hospital, I started taking Co-dydramol and have taken it for a very long time, so much so, that it started to irritate my insides and make me feel worse afterwards than before.
It became habit forming because i used them as motivation to do anything - ie. I would take them before I did the house work or whatever - not because I had any pain. And it went on from there. Whenever I felt stressed about anything, I took them and I used the excuse that I had pain (which, as I said, I do have aches etc, but try to manage them) and it continued until I felt moody, irritable, got ulcers, felt confused, felt really lethargic.

I do have an appointment to go to the Pain Clinic at hospital in may, (that's the earliest they can see me) so I will discuss my pain management with them then. I hope all this is making sense.

My GP is not all that supportive really, I felt I deserved a little more help because i went to her reaching out - anyway, I've not taken any for five days now, feel like s..t, but I am doing it!
(You know, I think GPs should not regularly give repeat prescriptions for addictive drugs for pain without regular checks - but that's just another discussion for another time.)

I am going to ring the AA and see if they have a group nearby (the other group is too far to travel). I will go with an open mind and willing to listen - yes, I am a quiet and quite naive
person, but I am wise enough to get involved with people who genuinely want to offer help.
So, thanks again for your advice, Browndog113.

Cowgirl, I am starting to feel alive! I haven't slept properly in about a week and found courage to tell my partner yesterday what has been going on with me - I said I will tell him once and I dont want to discuss it further, because I am 'on with it' - I suppose I feel a little ashamed really. But, I am getting there, and although these co-dydramol are not 'proper' drugs - they are taking some beating. Thanks so much for your encouragement.
Posted: March 7, 2011, 12:28 PM

Not talking and "moving on with it", going to get you into some trouble girl. When we don't talk, we hide. When we hide, we tend to find all kinds of silly reasons why we need to use again. That's because it's renting too much space in your head and if you don't get it out, it'll continue to trip you up.

You may not be comfortable talking to your partner just yet but with time, get comfortable. He needs to know how your feeling and you need someone to talk to that you trust. Can you imagine just how confused and scared he must be right now? Not fair on your part.

But first, you. You desperately need help on a daily basis. Can't do this by yourself darlin, doesn't work that way. Your drug has become your best friend and is good at isolating you. Time to break up with that best friend and find other friends who can lead you back to yourself.

I'm really happy for you that you've made it 5 days. Another 5 days and you're going to start feeling so much better...but. BUT. You still have the chronic pain to deal with and the temptation of using again. Lot of people call it stinkin thinkin..that's where your addict takes over and talks you into using "just one more time", "who will know", etc. Where's your help for those moments? What will you do?

--------------------
Posted: March 8, 2011, 1:58 PM

Cowgirl, your comments ring so true!

I have been back in contact with my doctors and they have prescribed me some protein & vitamin drinks for next few days. Have spoken to NA and they have one group starting (around 50 miles away!) 22nd March; so maybe I can go there. Have spoken to AA, but they referred me to NA. And, I've found a website in uk, www.codeinefree.me.uk and I was surprised to find how many other people have been addicted for years and years, like me.

Its nearly a week! I just want to thank you (and Harry) for all your support. I honestly don't think people can really understand unless they have been through similar struggles, so, thank you.
Posted: March 9, 2011, 1:16 PM

AA is for alcoholics but alcohol is a drug. And I'm sure there are a few there at those meetings who are dually addicted. I just want for you to be able to go to a meeting now and one that's not so far away. Even if it's just to sit in and listen...'
Wouldn't hurt, right?

--------------------
Posted: March 10, 2011, 1:33 PM

Thwaipi, I'm glad for u. Your actions are and inspiration- really. You have really began to move mountains.

Sorry to hear that there are not a lot of NA meetings there. I guess we have gotten spoiled in the US. I know I take them for granted. That is something I need to appreciate.

I'm kinda surprised an AA person told u to go to NA. I prefer nA more because it is more easy for me to relate (and therefore trust) recovering addicts. Like u were saying, u r surprised there were so many people like u- addicted to codiene. I was surprised at not only how many people went to NA, but how many were kind of like me. I had always thought that most addicts were like many of the addicts I knew- pretty much burned out junkies.

I was one of the few people I knew who lived a basically 'straight life' -I just used every day. But I worked, took care of my family,etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see just how many 'normal' people were addicts.

But getting back to that AA thing - for whatever reason alcohal has it's special place, but it is a drug--one of the worst. I still remember the first time I went to an AA meeting and asked if it was OK for me to be there, since I was an opiate addict. They said I was most welcome and one guy summed it up by saying "A DRUG IS A DRUG IS A DRUG"

IF you want to go to a meeting, and there are only AA meetings going on, U should just go. I can not comprehend why someone would tell u different.

Goodluck

--------------------
Browndog113@yahoo.com

top of page  Top