post replypost new topic
Benzos Addiction And Seizures

Posted: December 2, 2010, 8:18 PM
I am having a moral delima. I have seizure disorder wich has gotten worse since I quit taking benzos everyday. Clearly this is upsetting considering that the use of benzos to prevent a seizure or control them is very successful for me. I am so shakey and nervous and this often (nerves and panic) will bring on a small seizure. While I know it is "ok" to take medication as needed, I cannot get rid of the guilt when I take benzos. I take an average of 1 miligram of Ativan in a 2 week period. I feel like I am being dishonest about my sobriety, especially considering benzos were my drug of choice.

Posted: December 3, 2010, 10:51 AM
Some times we have to take medication that we don't want to take. If no other seizure medicine works for you then you have to take what you have to take. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. You know in your heart if you are taking them to take them or if you need them. Check your motives. But if you truly need to take a benzo to stop your seizures and you are not abusing them there is no reason to let that interfere in your sobriety in my opinion. Do you have a sponsor you can discuss this with?

--------------------

१२ स्तैप्पैर!

kat11100@comcast.net

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Just because the monkey's off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town

Laugh because it shows people that you have what they want and what they need: a hope in things unseen, a peace that passes understanding, and a God of miracles who also has a great sense of humor.

Posted: December 3, 2010, 10:52 AM
Silly Girl,

Recovery is not about dying, putting yourself at risk , making yourself sick, & mentally beating yourself up.

It is about living, making healthy choices, treating yourself with decency and respect and making yourself well and whole. If you had a child or someone else who depended on you for love and safety, and they had a benzo addiction as well as a seizure problem, and quit or was trying to quit benzos, but still needed to take something to avoid a seizure, what would you do. Obviously, even if they liked taking the benzo & even if you were afraid it would lead to more use, you would do 2 things. 1. Make them take a benzo immediately to get them out of a potentially dangerous situation. (2) Once safe you would figure out a reasonable plan of action for them so they could lower their risk of seizure and find a way to limit the potential for future drug abuse....

I'm sure I don't need to remind you HOW DANGEROUS SEIZURES CAN BE.

I SEE ONLY 1 COURSE OF ACTION FOR YOU. You have got to get medical advice. Do not play around. Benzo WD's are dangerous for a person who is not prone to seizures. They can get seizures and die.

Please get in contact with a Dr. If u r prescribed benzos for seizure control, you have to take them as prescribed (even if u like them) until ur Dr finds something else.

If you know that by taking what u need, u will end up abusing them, until or unless ur Dr can find another method, you might have to get help from someone else. In my case, any time I am in a situation where it is necessary to take any medication that has the possibility of being abused, I get my wives assistance.

And from experience we have learned that she now takes extreme measures in keeping my pills secure. Long gone are the days when she simply keeps them in her drawer or hides them in the house, or keeps them in a lock box or a chincy safe. As most of you know, when pills are somewhere around and you are in any stage of abusing them, we seemed to have devoloped a psychic ability to find them. NOW SHE HAD A GOOD SOLID SAFE that I can't open without the key.

PLEASE BE KIND TO YOURSELF. You obviously desire to live a better life, so love yourself and treat yourself the way you try to treat others you love.
I

--------------------
No matter what right you did or what wrong you didn't do: When you're the black sheep, all blame belongs to you

Posted: December 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
Your post was a little unclear to me..are you abusing them? The amount you wrote down doesn't seem to indicate that? Like the two previous posters said, if you are taking them for a medical disorder than you need them. As long as you stay accountable and are honest about your motives, then you're ok. But really, what is your motive?

My husband has had 2 seizures because he's taking a medication he shouldn't. Those seizures are dangerous.

--------------------
I used Drugs to forget, I got clean to remember.

Posted: December 14, 2010, 9:34 PM
As somebody who has had a seizure from severe benzo addiction and acute withdrawl, I know how dangerous they can be, and how just a single dose can take away all of those feelings.

If you're not abusing them, and like the above poster said it doesn't appear to be so based on the dosage you spelled out, you really don't have anything to worry about.

With that said, if benzos were your drug of choice, taking them at all is a slippery slope. There are other anticonvulsants out there (depakote comes to mind) that may be able to help. Obviously you're under a doctor's care, and if you explain your situation, they should be able to help you try to find something that both helps your seizure disorder while not affecting your sobriety. If they aren't receptive to that, maybe it's time to find a new doctor.
post replypost new topic